Confirmed Trade: [NYR/VAN] Tyler Motte for 2023 4th round pick

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's not the end of the world, but if the return is only a 4th round pick, then why bother trade him at all?

What are you talking about?

He was gone at the end of the season and draft picks are a currency in the NHL. It's just a 4th but it's better than nothing.

My hunch is Tampa had a better pick on the table and chose Paul instead and thus Motte fell to the Rangers for cheaper.
3rd was expected
Elated with 2nd
4th is soft.

Reactions: David71

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

He was gone at the end of the season and draft picks are a currency in the NHL. It's just a 4th but it's better than nothing.

My hunch is Tampa had a better pick on the table and chose Paul instead and thus Motte fell to the Rangers for cheaper.
3rd was expected
Elated with 2nd
4th is soft.
He is in his prime, cheap and effective at his role, i would much rather keep him instead of getting a fourth round pick for him. If we still somehow made the playoffs, he will make a small impact, and don't underestimate the influence of a fourth line player.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

3rd was expected
Elated with 2nd
4th is soft.
A fourth-round pick wasn't the best price for him. To admit, I think the Rangers won the deal by a margin.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He is in his prime, cheap and effective at his role, i would much rather keep him instead of getting a fourth round pick for him. If we still somehow made the playoffs, he will make a small impact, and don't underestimate the influence of a fourth line player.

He's walking in to UFA about to sign his retirement contract probably 3 or 4 yr deal 2-2.5M. Good thing Canucks management has the foresight to not sign bottom 6 players to term.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I would've been happy with a 3rd. IMO people who were expecting a 2nd or higher were dreaming. He's a good bottom six guy, but a team would have to be pretty desperate to pony up a 2nd.
Yeah, he's definitely worth a third-round pick, even a fourth-round pick along with that would suffice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean, other teams won't give up a third-round pick for multiple fours. That's my opinion.
Well, your own third plus a fourth will definitely move you up in the third round, if nothing else. There were multiple trades last year where teams moved up in the third using their own third and a fifth or a sixth. My overarching point here is that you can still use a pick in the fourth round to help you maneuver in the draft. I understand not being happy with it, though.

Reactions: Barnaby

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
He's walking in to UFA about to sign his retirement contract probably 3 or 4 yr deal 2-2.5M. Good thing Canucks management has the foresight to not sign bottom 6 players to term.

I agree. Whoever signs him to term is going to regret the decision at the back end of the deal. With his style of play and injury history, he'll be another Derek Dorsett or Antoine Roussel when he hits 30. Of course there is no Jim Benning to give him 4 years at $3M/yr.

Reactions: strattonius

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Underwhelming return for the Canucks. Rangers will probably be very happy with Motte though. That's a great price, for exactly the sort of guy you want on your 4th line heading toward the playoffs. His speed and hustle are the sort of things that's very noticeable and impactful, even in those limited minutes without top quality offensive linemates and opportunities. He'll generate some offense out of nowhere out of broken plays and just good old fashioned relentless forechecking...and those are the sort of things that can really change a game in the tight-checking playoffs.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
4ths aren't worthless. A couple of them and maybe you can move up into the third and grab someone who has fallen.

Thrilled to have Motte on NYR.
or u can stay put and draft someone like shesterkin! honestly our 4th round drafting is as impressive as our 1st round drafting lol. shesty, callahan, savard, weise, graves, pyatt, and the next great goalie garand...

Reactions: nyr2k2

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Rutherford and Allvin didn’t do their homework on Motte or just didn’t care to have him on their roster but when Motte is on he is one of the better 4th liners in the league.

Players like Motte are valuable come playoff time, a 4th in next years draft is a light return.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
A good deal for the Rangers. I would have been happy with a late 3rd so the 4th isn't too far off. I had some hope that a 2nd would have been offered but while he offers speed, forechecking and PK help, he has limited offensive upside and that's why his price wasn't as expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad