News Article: NYR to attend France St Louis' funeral as a team

Cake or Death

This is such a class thing to do. Proud to be a fan of this team

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Such a tragedy, but great to see the team coming together like this for MSL. I think the team bonded over this and we're seeing the results in our postseason play.

Wolfy*

Sounds strange, but I'd say MSL's loss is the reason we're not on the golf course right now.

It provided a new boost and saved us in the Pens series, because our team wanted to win it for him and his family. Hopefully this continues against the Habs.

But I wouldn't say if it's good or bad, the fact that something positive came out of such a sad event. I guess in this case it was a good thing, since Marty's mom loved hockey.

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
Love seeing that the team is so close-knit. Awesome to see how quickly they accepted St.Louis after him only being there for a few months

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
I've always held the belief that the lure of Manhattan and it's surrounding areas has always had an affect on the closeness of Ranger teams. Smaller market teams in smaller cities with less "sights and sounds" and players living in close proximity have always seem to foster closer bonds off the ice which can on help on the ice. There have always been stories of how cliquey Ranger locker rooms have been over the years, especially during the Messier years. Right now it really feels like this team is bonded and right at the right time. It's just a shame it came due to a loss of a family member. Love that the team is supporting MSL by going to the funeral together, Classy.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good for all of the guys. It's a close team, and they really seem to have been galvanized by rallying around Marty.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
it's good to see. This team wants to play for each other. While much of the attention is on Marty, you can see the support for one another on the ice. It's been there over the years, but this seems a bit different. Class move by the organization as well as his teammates.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
it's good to see. This team wants to play for each other. While much of the attention is on Marty, you can see the support for one another on the ice. It's been there over the years, but this seems a bit different. Class move by the organization as well as his teammates.

We've been fortunate, really over the last decade, in that we've had good leadership and the team really seems to be united and close. It seemed to fray a little bit towards the end of Torts' tenure, but they look to be closer than ever. We've had a lot of good character guys--Fedotenko, Vinny Prospal, Callahan, Strudwick, Betts, Ortmeyer--to say nothing of the current group with Girardi, Boyle, Richards, Zuccarello, etc.

Lots of guys on the roster (past and present) that have worn a C or an A.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Tightest group of players I can ever recall seeing for the Rangers.

The 2012 team was awesome to watch, not only because of their success but because of their character. 24/7 showed how likable that group of guys were together. Loved that team for that reason.

Since then, we've lost some of those character guys, and in turn, the team's identity. We've lacked personality. At least until now. Dominic Moore's addition helped a ton. But this tragedy has also galvanized the team to a point where we have character again. We have unity and an identity. And that's generally when teams start playing better than the sum of the parts.

Granted, our season could be over after this round and this storyline could fade. But if this team ends up doing something great, and they have the opportunity to do so, look no further than the character building we've seen the past week as the main reason.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm very reluctant to break this team up in any facet, don't really want to let any of our FAs go, short of a good upgrade.

This is awesome though.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed is that Brassard seems to be very well liked amongst the team. He's in a lot of instagram pictures posted by the players, he's very interactive on the bench, etc. I might cry if that PBZ line gets broken up.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

That's because it is. What changed from last to this year? The team might have gelled now thats its been able to loosen the **** up, if I may be so blunt.

Torts was too tight for this group of players and I think the coaching job has been a revelation for the lockerroom, one of the most underrated parts of the game. Simply because of it's mostly 'unknown'.

If the Canadiens were smart their team would show up too.

Good point. IDK if this would be open, you may need the invite.....?

People do realize that other teams would most likely do the same, right?

Absolutely. This won't be a first at all, but it's noteworthy, no? We were in the middle of yet another disappointing result when a movie broke out in front of our eyes. I can't believe anyone would downplay whats going on since day one of this story. Am I wrong ?

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Love this team, maybe more than the one from 2 years ago. It's sad that it took such a tragedy to wake this team up. But sadly, sometimes that's what it takes. Classy move by the organization, very proud fan of.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's because it is. What changed from last to this year? The team might have gelled now thats its been able to loosen the **** up, if I may be so blunt.

Torts was too tight for this group of players and I think the coaching job has been a revelation for the lockerroom, one of the most underrated parts of the game. Simply because of it's mostly 'unknown'.

Good point. IDK if this would be open, you may need the invite.....?

Absolutely. This won't be a first at all, but it's noteworthy, no? We were in the middle of yet another disappointing result when a movie broke out in front of our eyes. I can't believe anyone would downplay whats going on since day one of this story. Am I wrong ?

I'd guess it's probably Catholic if it's out of a church--St. Louis is French Canadian. Anybody can go to a funeral.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm pretty sure the funeral's a private event.

I can't really think of much that's more classless then showing up to a funeral uninvited.

It depends entirely on the circumstances.

I've been to funerals where there were a dozen people, and showing up would have been very, very weird, and I've been to funerals where there were hundreds of people, many of whom I didn't recognize at all despite being very close with the deceased, and nobody batted an eye.

I'd assume that this is private to some extent, as it'd be an opportunity to meet famous people, and I'm sadly sure that there are some folks who would take that chance for the story or to try to get an autograph or some stupid thing like that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some friends of Marty's, like players from other teams, showed up and it wasn't a big deal. I'd imagine they don't want complete strangers there pestering anyone as they mourn, but they'd likely be open to people that the family knows whether they were specifically invited or not.

Just taking some educated guesses based on the funerals I've been to. Funerals are for the living. If someone can help a mourning family feel a little better, I'm confident that they'd be welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00