Confirmed with Link: [NYR/TBL] Callahan + 2015 1st + Cond.2014 2nd to TBL for Martin St. Louis + Cond pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The rangers got better, a cheaper player than what callahan wanted, none of our assets like miller, skejl, kristo, etc going the other way, no albatross 6 year committment, and peole still ***** and moan.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The 2015 first bothers me. Wish it was a 2014 first. Other than that, I can't really complain about this as Callahan's contract demands weren't reasonable. Think about it, St. Louis is by all measures the better player and he's making 5.3M/per. Callahan started at 7.5 and was down to, apparently, 6.25M with a full NTC. That's a terrible contract for the Rangers to make for a guy who's 28/29 and whose physical play has already compromised him nearly every season. Love Callahan. I'm sure Glen & Co. loved him too. Just too much $, too much term, and too much risk.

I'm happy we added to get a difference maker as opposed to a desperation move to get scraps. The picks hurt so we have to keep finding the Zucs and Allens and Girardis out there. MSL is a freak like Chelios and depending on injuries can prob keep playing effectively until he's 42-43. What about that VANEK ROBBERY pulled by Montreal? Not a good look for Snow, he's gone.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Yes, he got screwed by his agent IMO. Waited, waited, waited until......what?

Is Booby Orr still MDZs agent? With his 2.55 coming up on RFA, I bet they couldn't wait to dump him and Orr's 5 yr - 5 mil negotiation starting point.

If Cally right from the beginning went to Sathef and said 6 yrs- 6 mil, 3 yrs NMC, he'd be playing Toronto right now. Really is a travesty. Oh well, welcome MSL.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Flyers fan stopping by in peace, I love Cally and everything he brings he's one of my favorite players, tough spot though for Sather do you pay him what he wanted and eat up cap space, or trade him?
Either way good luck the rest of the way ladies and gents!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, thinking about it some more, exactly who is going to stand in front of the goalie now on shots from the point? Probably no one.

If that's our biggest worry with the departure of Callahan, we'll be fine. Shot blockers can be found for 800k/y

Punxrocknyc19*

Flyers fan stopping by in peace, I love Cally and everything he brings he's one of my favorite players, tough spot though for Sather do you pay him what he wanted and eat up cap space, or trade him?
Either way good luck the rest of the way ladies and gents!

thanks. im jealous of your toughness and grit, Rangers dont have anyone. id love a Simmonds Hartnell type forward on this Rangers team but i do love this St.Louis trade.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Is Booby Orr still MDZs agent? With his 2.55 coming up on RFA, I bet they couldn't wait to dump him and Orr's 5 yr - 5 mil negotiation starting point.

If Cally right from the beginning went to Sathef and said 6 yrs- 6 mil, 3 yrs NMC, he'd be playing Toronto right now. Really is a travesty. Oh well, welcome MSL.

Used to be, but not any more. DZ will go to arbitration. Bad season this year doesn't give him leverage, but his stats for the 2 before make him an arbitration darling.

Could get 4+ easily on his past performance.

Cake or Death

Not really grasping the negativity at this trade. TB had to get something major in return as they just lost one of the best players in the league and as they have no guarantee they retain Callahan, the picks are their guaranteed return. You don't get an amazingly well conditioned player who led the league in scoring last season, and is 9th in pts and 5th in goals this season, for nothing. And I understand people tripping that St Louis is 38. But...

1. This is one of the absolute best conditioned athletes in the entire league, at any age. The guy is a workout fanatic and built like a freakin tank.
  2. At 38 his game isn't exactly in the crapper. He is, right this second, one of the best in the league. This is the same guy who led the entire league in scoring last season, and who THIS SEASON is 9th in pts and 5th in goals. This is one of the premier scorers in the league, right now, and his conditioning and skill set is off the hook.
  3. And as insanely well-conditioned as he is, it is not remotely out of the loop he is still a very effective player 3, 4, 5 seasons from now. Even if his game falls a bit, his skill level and conditioning say this guy has more than one more good year in him, easily, and he will likely sign a very friendly deal and still be very damn good.

If you are confused about his conditioning or worried over it, I get it. But tell me how many guys in the league, at any age, are in this kind of shape or look like this:

BH5PZfTCIAA6ZNOfull.jpg

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really like the player, I still am a bit taken back by the price. Moving so many picks in a short span like they have down with Nash, Clowe and now MSL is a huge risk

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Also worth mentioning that, despite being 38, he's a late bloomer with less miles than your typical 38 year old. Hell, Vinny Lecavalier has more career games than him.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I really like the player, I still am a bit taken back by the price. Moving so many picks in a short span like they have down with Nash, Clowe and now MSL is a huge risk

Same exact sentiment here. Don't like the fact we missed out on the 2013 and 2014 1st round.

AHB*

Potential loss of 3 1st rounders in 4 years. A lot of what bothers me about it is the principle behind it.

Unless we start selling, we are ****ed in the future.

The analysis I did after the trade though, made me feel a little better about it:

Basically, we had to trade Cally, or, keep him as a rental (which we know wasn't going to happen).

Vanek, a better scorer, went for next to nothing, a mediocre prospect and condition second.

Moulson, maybe a little less valuable then Cally, or on par, depending what your thought process is, went for 2 2nds, with a throw in.

Hemsky got a 3rd and a 5th

Goc 3rd and 5th.

These guys are all around Callahan, better or slightly worse. None brought back a first. Doubt Callahan was brining back a first. I think, even with all the teams in it, the market was diluted this year, due to the recent hauls over the past few markets.

More teams were willing to leverage their older, UFA players, then in the past, due to the high picks people were selling. But what became apparent was, quite a few players for sale, less GM's wanting to forfeit picks.

I'm guessing that's the reason the Moulson and Vanek trades were held out until the last second. Hoping someone would swoop in with a first or better prospect and it never happened.

So, we can assume Callahan would have been likely traded for a 2nd, 2 at best, although I'd guess a 2nd and 3rd or something.

Those picks aren't bad, but do we really give that spot to JT and essentially forfeit a chance at ANY playoff run?

I'm a major pessimist and don't think this team has a shot at winning with MSL, which is why i'm still a little down on this trade, but I can see the reasoning behind replacing Cally with MSL and moving forward.

The 1st rounder stings, especially if we make the ECF this year and it becomes two. But lets worry when we get there.

Regardless, I think looking at the haul, we have MSL for a few years, could still get a cond. second back and gave up a 1st next year, with a second this year.

We added picks instead of moving Cally for a package that frankly, was not worthy of him.

It was a buyers market this year. Cally, with his demands and decline in play was not bringing us enough to warrant a trade. Instead we created a package around him and upgraded tenfold currently.

I'm not happy with it, but I can live with it. Something I really wouldn't have been able to do if we had signed him to a 6million deal or shipped our captain out for a mixture of middling picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad