Confirmed with Link: [NYR/TBL] Callahan + 2015 1st + Cond.2014 2nd to TBL for Martin St. Louis + Cond pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I wouldn't be suprised to see something like this tried:

Nash-BR-MSL
Kreider-Step-Zucc
Hagelin-Brass-Pouliot

Nash is more effective on the RW. We tried that kind of setup last year with Gaborik and Richards with Nash and it flopped. Richards is also slow as hell and will slow MSL down.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Well even though the Clowe trade was one of the most asinine trade in the history of Sather asinine trades, he did have a good start with us. Hopefully St Louis can do the same.

I'll never forget that first Clowe game. Against Pit. The first thing that happened was a bone crushing hit by Clowe that sent some Pen into the boards. That set the tone of the game. Never saw such a start to a game. I was so pumped. We ended up 6-1? if I remember correctly.

That was a nice day. Unfortunately it stayed the one and only day.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'll never forget that first Clowe game. Against Pit. The first thing that happened was a bone crushing hit by Clowe that sent some Pen into the boards. That set the tone of the game. Never saw such a start to a game. I was so pumped. We ended up 6-1? if I remember correctly.

Glen Sather sugar high

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If the Rangers win the cup this year honestly it will be a good trade. If they make it to the conference finals and lose that would be really bad. No first round pick for three straight years then.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
MSL is going to be a great ranger.
Rangers win this deal player for player.
Losing the picks hurt, but we lose no additional players or prospects.

Looking past the picks the rangers get another top 3 player.

People making too much over the weekend loses. Flyers are trash. Rangers played sloppy against them.
People worried about the flyers now?; lol.

Boston is another story but we could have routed them if Rask didn't stand on his head...

We finally have a PP that can put teams away in the playoffs. ...

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Well even though the Clowe trade was one of the most asinine trade in the history of Sather asinine trades, he did have a good start with us. Hopefully St Louis can do the same.

Really? Im more tolerant of Sather than you, but I can think of worse...

Clowe if healthily would have worked out well for us. Its Sathers fault he was cocussed?
He cleared testing. It's not like we signed him injured. ...

Come on now.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The 2015 first bothers me. Wish it was a 2014 first. Other than that, I can't really complain about this as Callahan's contract demands weren't reasonable. Think about it, St. Louis is by all measures the better player and he's making 5.3M/per. Callahan started at 7.5 and was down to, apparently, 6.25M with a full NTC. That's a terrible contract for the Rangers to make for a guy who's 28/29 and whose physical play has already compromised him nearly every season. Love Callahan. I'm sure Glen & Co. loved him too. Just too much $, too much term, and too much risk.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com

We still NEED that type of player though.

Punxrocknyc19*

Kevin Weeks just said on NHL network that it was a 200,000 difference and a no trade clause that killed the resigning of Callahan.

*Bob Richards*

Kevin Weeks just said on NHL network that it was a 200,000 difference and a no trade clause that killed the resigning of Callahan.

I'd like to think this was the real reason. HUGE difference between 200 k and a NTC.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The 2015 first bothers me. Wish it was a 2014 first. Other than that, I can't really complain about this as Callahan's contract demands weren't reasonable. Think about it, St. Louis is by all measures the better player and he's making 5.3M/per. Callahan started at 7.5 and was down to, apparently, 6.25M with a full NTC. That's a terrible contract for the Rangers to make for a guy who's 28/29 and whose physical play has already compromised him nearly every season. Love Callahan. I'm sure Glen & Co. loved him too. Just too much $, too much term, and too much risk.

I'd rather lose a '15 1st...that pick is 4 years away from having an impact on this team. And next year we'll likely be picking in the same spot, or likely even later. We're not looking at a top 10 pick in either year, so the year makes little difference.

Punxrocknyc19*

so how long till we will see commercials for Beginnings: St.Louis :laugh:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Dont mind the assets. But I dont like that the 2nd is conditional to be a 1st if we make C.F. not having a 1st three years in a row is very poor forward thinking.

Exactly! Trading prospects and picks for players with their best years behind them is what caused a 7 year playoff drought....

Unless this team can trade Nash for some serious picks and prospects, bad times are coming.
I'd rather lose a '15 1st...that pick is 4 years away from having an impact on this team. And next year we'll likely be picking in the same spot, or likely even later. We're not looking at a top 10 pick in either year, so the year makes little difference.

For sure, I mean we threw our 03 pick away and maintained mediocrity. 15 is shaping up to be a pretty sweet draft, we don't need picks in it.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Exactly! Trading prospects and picks for players with their best years behind them is what caused a 7 year playoff drought....

Unless this team can trade Nash for some serious picks and prospects, bad times are coming.

For sure, I mean we threw our 03 pick away and maintained mediocrity. 15 is shaping up to be a pretty sweet draft, we don't need picks in it.

Wow, we trade two picks and our future is dead. Learn something new every day I guess.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I could handle this if we didn't have to give away the 2 firsts if we make the finals. I think we have an outside shot but I don't think we have enough to beat Pitt or Boston and then the West. And throwing away picks is terrible for the team unless you feel some of the kids you already have are sure bets and I don't know about that.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Just saw this news. Feel like we gave up way too much for an aging veteran who isn't going to put us over the top.

Sather continues chasing his tail.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
trading picks didnt get us in the 7 year playoff drought. the inability to make anything out of our picks did. from 94-00 we only drafted cloutier, johnsson, savard, purinton, york, malhotra, kloucek, moore, lundqvist. we had tons of picks in this time period, including 6 first round picks. we got an elite goalie (that eventually helped us end the drought years later), another ok goalie, a 1st line C, and a bunch of role players. we traded the eventual 1st line C for prospects. a lack of picks isnt what ****ed us, but we had horrible scouting and selections.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
is 2015 really expected to be that deep or are ppl salivating because of the names at the top of the draft....names we wudnt be able to get even if we kept our pick.

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
Losing the picks hurt, but by the time those draft picks blossom and mature (assuming they pan out), Hank will already be past his prime. The window for this team to make a serious bid for the Cup is RIGHT NOW.

Realistically, you couldn't expect TB to trade MSL away for only a rental. It was either some pieces of the young core on the roster now, or the picks. Me thinks Sather made the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad