Confirmed Trade: [NYR/SEA] Alex Wennberg (50% retained) for 2024 2nd round pick and 2025 4th round pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think most of these non-plussed Rangers fans are going to end up liking Wennberg. You didn't acquire him for his goal scoring and not really his points, though he'll put up a decent amount.

I always thought Wennberg would make a better defenseman, funny enough. He reads the play very well, is an elite four-way skater, and can transition pucks with ease. It's around the opposing goal that he just lacks scoring instincts.

Reactions: CLW and Black Tank

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think most of these non-plussed Rangers fans are going to end up liking Wennberg. You didn't acquire him for his goal scoring and not really his points, though he'll put up a decent amount.

I always thought Wennberg would make a better defenseman, funny enough. He reads the play very well, is an elite four-way skater, and can transition pucks with ease. It's around the opposing goal that he just lacks scoring instincts.
The real value will be in potentially opening up Zibanejad for easier assignments. Use Wennberg with Kakko as a shutdown line against other team’s top players and let Zibanejad and Kreider try to score at 5 on 5 for once.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

So, um, that's the most bizarre condition I think I've ever seen put on a traded pick.

Edit:

That's not making it seem any more normal.

Its linked to last yrs trades around kane to rangers thru AZ and they getting a 3rd from rangers. Rangers could get a conditional 3rd from dal as based on lundkvist trade so they said they send az thr better one only if thry got 2 3rds. If not then thry get one of their 2 4ths.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This according to TSN website. I had no idea he was having that good a season!

The New York Rangers have acquired forward Alex Wennberg from the Seattle Kraken in exchange for a 2024 second-round pick and 2025 fourth-round pick, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

Kraken retain 50 percent on Wennberg
Seattle gets 2nd in 24 and 4th in 25
— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) March 6, 2024
The Kraken will retain 50 per cent of Wennberg's cap hit.

Wennberg, 29, is in the final year of a three-year, $13.5 million deal with a cap hit of $4.5 per season. He is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

The 6-foot-2 centre has nine goals and 215 points in 60 games this season.

Wennberg was signed by the Kraken as an unrestricted free agent in July of 2021 prior to Seattle’s first season in the NHL.

Drafted 14th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2013, Wennberg has 90 goals and 330 points in 693 career games split between the Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers, and Kraken.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
IF MY NUMBERS ARE RIGHT THEY STILL HAVE 2,908,333 of LTIR space left. Vatrano's hit is 3,650,00. Which would put them 741,667 over with 14 skaters. They could send Brodzinski down and it would save them 762,500. That would put them 19,883 under the cap and they would not need retention on Vatrano which means it would require less to get him. Buch is a different story as his hit is 5,800,00 which means if they do all the same stuff they would somehow need to either lose 2,150,000 in salary or have that much retained or absorbed by another team.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
This according to TSN website. I had no idea he was having that good a season!

The New York Rangers have acquired forward Alex Wennberg from the Seattle Kraken in exchange for a 2024 second-round pick and 2025 fourth-round pick, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun.

The Kraken will retain 50 per cent of Wennberg's cap hit.

Wennberg, 29, is in the final year of a three-year, $13.5 million deal with a cap hit of $4.5 per season. He is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

The 6-foot-2 centre has nine goals and 215 points in 60 games this season.

Wennberg was signed by the Kraken as an unrestricted free agent in July of 2021 prior to Seattle’s first season in the NHL.

Drafted 14th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2013, Wennberg has 90 goals and 330 points in 693 career games split between the Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers, and Kraken.

215 points in 60 games!!!

Hot damn boi. I think we on to sumthin.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I feel like this move can't really be judged until we see what else Drury does. In a vacuum, I think a 2nd and a 4th for a rental 3C is a little on the steeper side. NYR is a team that struggles to generate 5 on 5 and this really does nothing to address that unless Wennberg somehow breaks out again and has good chemistry with whoever they put him with.

Unless we pick up a heavy hitter on RW, it seems like the plan is to just win games 2-1 and hope Igor gets hot in May. Not a horrible strategy, it's kind of worked for us before it just hasn't lead to a cup.

As reported, there has to be more coming. But without the 2nd round pick I find it hard to believe that our 1st alone with whatever garbage most fans are willing to give up isn't going to be enough to net a Vatrano.

My theory: Drury is waiting for some contenders to get their wingers (which has already happened) effectively leaving them out on Vatrano thereby lowering his value. If Vatrano goes before we can get him, it is what it is. I get the sense from this year's iteration of NYR that they're more paper tigers than legit contenders primarily due to the loss of Chytil, Fox still probably not being 100% and the fact that Kreider and Zibanejad have looked like 3rd liners at best all year

If Drury doesn't get a bigger fish offensively I would be pissed as a fan but I would get it; this years team just hasn't looked good enough despite their record to warrant selling the farm and going all in. But, devils advocate is that the East is trash this year and it might be the year to push all the chips in the middle.

Kind of wouldn't want to be Drury right now. If Mika and Kreider were playing to the level they're capable this year, it's an entirely different story and you go out and get everyone under the sun

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This is on the team that upset COL in round one and took DAL to 7 games in round two...
1000004261.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad