Confirmed Trade: [NYR/SEA] Alex Wennberg (50% retained) for 2024 2nd round pick and 2025 4th round pick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense i guess. Pretty underwhelming Chytil replacement, but they obviously had to do something and after last year, i'm not sure the Rangers are in a place to "go big" again this year. Wennberg is...fine as a #3C. Not going to give you a lot, but not really a liability either. Maybe that's good enough for them. It's certainly an upgrade on their existing situation. More depth down the middle is always better heading to the playoffs. And it's really not a big price at all.

Reactions: tlk and egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

So, um, that's the most bizarre condition I think I've ever seen put on a traded pick.

Edit:

That's not making it seem any more normal.

Johnston has that condition wrong. It was 55 points between last season and this one. Lundkvist's progress towards the condition is 31 points in 105 games. Probably makes that *more* bizarre, but just wanted to throw that correction out there. I think Johnston corrected his own tweet.

The condition is not going to be met.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I thought Brodzinski has looked good recently and he has an excellent shot. Feels like we just decided to burn a second round pick for the sake of doing "something."
Couldn't you move Goodrow to wing and drop Edstrom or Rempe as needed to keep Brodz in the line-up?

• Wow
Reactions: tlk

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

So, um, that's the most bizarre condition I think I've ever seen put on a traded pick.

Edit:

That's not making it seem any more normal.

It's weird, but is that condition not just based on the conditions on the Lundkvist deal...which will determine which picks the Rangers even have to offer in this Wennberg deal? So...it's basically just making a deal on a future pick that already has conditions on it, rather than actually adding "new conditions".

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
My guess is that the Rangers made the exact offer for Henrique and stuck to their guns not giving their 1st, so they went with option B - Wennberg. Now I will need to root for the Oilers and hope Wennberg lays an egg with the Rangers.
:popcorn:

• Haha

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If Wennberg could shoot the puck, he'd be Patrice Bergeron Lite. But he absolutely refuses to shoot. It's maddening.

As a 3rd liner in a shutdown role, he'll be fine. But he won't carry anyone, and he'll ruin plays on the regular by just not shooting.

Sounds like the guy we needed then. Someone with speed like Brodzinski but the ability to make passing plays to Kakko and Cuylle for scoring opps.

KK and Cools have been developing some good chemistry and Brodz hustles, but let's be honest, he wasn't ideal as a 3c. I kinda figured when he centered Edstrom and Rempe vs FLA in place of Goodrow that was a test to see if he fit there in anticipation of getting a 3c before Friday.

Reactions: tlk and egelband

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
meh...overpaid a little but not bad. fine with this. add some depth to the roster, albeit in the form of an islanders level of mesmerizingly boring player, without having to part with any major assets.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad