NYR Roster Building Thread Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't resign a single UFA on this team, and that includes Yandle. I would explore trading our bigger contracts. And I would give AV a cohesive roster, which he hasn't had since Febuary of 2015.

Here's an idea. Gorton goes on WarOnIce.com, sorts by corsi for percentage, sorts backwards so the worst are at the top, and then he goes and gets a whole bunch of those players.

We'll finally have a roster that fits AV's system.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sorry guys, but I think the pinning on the coach routine worked once with Torts. At this point, you gotta start looking at some of the sacred cows.

This is a roster with a lot of glaring holes. It's been that way since last summer, it's that way today.

I'm not sure I can name a coach in the league that transforms this roster, as currently constructed.

I think there are some very good pieces to utilize moving forward, but there's also a lot of dead weight.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sorry guys, but I think the pinning on the coach routine worked once with Torts. At this point, you gotta start looking at some of the sacred cows.

This is a roster with a lot of glaring holes. It's been that way since last summer, it's that way today.

I'm not sure I can name a coach in the league that transforms this roster, as currently constructed.

I think there are some very good pieces to utilize moving forward, but there's also a lot of dead weight.

Last post before bed.

I agree Edge, but even if some of the dead weight is trimmed from the roster and new blood is brought in, the same strategic and locker room issues are still rearing their ugly heads.

AV has refused to adjust on the fly, time and time again. He's loyal to the battle tested veteran players, this season to a fault. He seems to play favorites and plays them, even if the players in the press box have been playing well and outperforming their competition.

AV is a good coach to have for a team with good leadership that is ready to win. xsniperx had a few excellent points in the previous post; there is a vacuum of leadership that was not filled with the departures of Richards and MSL. I don't see McDonagh as a captain that gets the guys motivated behind the scenes. He seems to be more of a "follow my example on the ice, I'll lead you guys to victory" kind of captain. It's hard to go that with a broken foot last playoffs and a still broken hand this year.

I will be copying and pasting this response into the next roster building thread. I don't want this missed. Goodnight all, and God bless all of us for putting up with this organization.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

I don't want a new coach with this roster...I want a new coach with a new roster...I wanted av fired and to burn this letter down and start over months and months ago.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Buy out Girardi
Trade Staal to where ever his brother goes
Trade Nash to wherever Stamkos signs
Resign Yandle
Resign Stalberg
Fire AV

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Buch-Stepan-Kreider
Stalberg-Hayes-Player from nash trade
Fast-Lindberg-Frogy

McD-Klein
Yandle-Mcl
Skjei-Player we acuired in Staal trade

Hank
Raanta

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Buy out Girardi
Trade Staal to where ever his brother goes
Trade Nash to wherever Stamkos signs
Resign Yandle
Resign Stalberg
Fire AV

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Buch-Stepan-Kreider
Stalberg-Hayes-Player from nash trade
Fast-Lindberg-Frogy

McD-Klein
Yandle-Mcl
Skjei-Player we acuired in Staal trade

Hank
Raanta

This is still a wild card playoff team :)

With the right management and offseason moves, we're right back to contending in 2018. The situation now sucks, but a good majority of our major contributors are 28 and younger and still have some good seasons left in them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For all the criticism of AV, we tend to forget that there are more than few players, including guys who had a lot to prove, that have actually done quite well.

If we're going to criticize AV than we also have to recognize the levels that McD has reached under him, the emergence of Brassard as a legit first line center, that a year ago Hayes was one of the top rookies in the league, that Miller has emerged as a keeper, that Zucc has emerged as legit NHL scoring threat and other successes.

Again, he hasn't been perfect, but this board has a serious soft spot for the players that came through the system and we give these guys a lot of rope.

This is now the third coach in 7 years who is apparently a moron and needs to go.

It's possible, that warts and all, our biggest problem isn't behind the bench.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
This is still a wild card playoff team :)

With the right management and offseason moves, we're right back to contending in 2018. The situation now sucks, but a good majority of our major contributors are 28 and younger and still have some good seasons left in them.
Yes this is a wild card team for the next 2 seasons but what about when all those young guys are finally in their primes? We can win with this roster without busting the cap

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For all the criticism of AV, we tend to forget that there are more than few players, including guys who had a lot to prove, that have actually done quite well.

If we're going to criticize AV than we also have to recognize the levels that McD has reached under him, the emergence of Brassard as a legit first line center, that a year ago Hayes was one of the top rookies in the league, that Miller has emerged as a keeper, that Zucc has emerged as legit NHL scoring threat and other successes.

Again, he hasn't been perfect, but this board has a serious soft spot for the players that came through the system and we give these guys a lot of rope.

This is now the third coach in 7 years who is apparently a moron and needs to go.

I never wanted torts gone...just for the record.

Also I'd argue zucc and mcd were developing quite well under torts.

Miller is also a torts kinda player. Mdz was run outta town...played well under torts, not under av.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Biggest problem was and still is Sather/Dolan!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I never wanted torts gone...just for the record.

Also I'd argue zucc and mcd were developing quite well under torts.

Miller is also a torts kinda player. Mdz was run outta town...played well under torts, not under av.

Sounds like you were sour grapes on AV since the beginning.

Now it all makes sense, you still have not let go of torts

Here I was taking you seriously.....

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site

Exactly, and they're the players that fit his style. Players that don't (Girardi, Staal) have regressed. It shouldn't be terribly surprising. Question is, where do guys like a Step, Kreider, Hayes go from here? Do they fit? Jury is still out, esp on the latter two.

Also, while Sather was able to work magic in trades, it seemed like he would go after guys he wanted and not guys that fit a specific scheme. Letting Stralman walk was a good example of that. Hopefully Gorton doesn't continue that trend.

This team needs to decide if they want to continue with AV's vision of quick, transition hockey and target players that fit that mold. I don't get the sense they've done that as well as they can.

And also, for the love of God, get some right handed forwards on this team. Take a look at any great PP in the league, and you'll see one constant. 2-3 right handed shooters.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Re-tool on the fly

Fire AV
buyout Girardi
Rick Nash + Kevin Hayes + Dylan McIlrath for Sami Vatanen and Rickard Rakell
Kevin Klein to Edmonton for Benoit Pouliot 50% retained
Marc Staal for Eric Gelinas + 3rd

sign Stamkos 7 years. $70 million
sign Yandle 5 years, $32.5 million
sign Demers 4 years, $20 million
sign Stalberg 1 year, $2 million

Stamkos Brassard Miller
Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Buchnevich Rakell Pouliot
Stalberg Lindberg Fast
Jensen

McDonagh Vatanen
Yandle Demers
Skjei Gelinas
Diaz

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It would be great if we could sign Stamkos for sure! ))

Blues scored 2-3 - will Hawks held their lead?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Re-tool on the fly

Fire AV
buyout Girardi
Rick Nash + Kevin Hayes + Dylan McIlrath for Sami Vatanen and Rickard Rakell
Kevin Klein to Edmonton for Benoit Pouliot 50% retained
Marc Staal for Eric Gelinas + 3rd

sign Stamkos 7 years. $70 million
sign Yandle 5 years, $32.5 million
sign Demers 4 years, $20 million
sign Stalberg 1 year, $2 million

Stamkos Brassard Miller
Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Buchnevich Rakell Pouliot
Stalberg Lindberg Fast
Jensen

McDonagh Vatanen
Yandle Demers
Skjei Gelinas
Diaz

Team looks great

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I wonder if Gorton will keep the 2016 pick if they get bounced in the next few days, guess it depends on what Clark and his scouts think of the talent in the first round this year.

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
We've got to retool the D and the wing on our first line and I think we'll be better pretty rapidly. Nash is not up to the task anymore and need to be dumped, we played a whole lot better with him out than in this year and it's really hard to carry a "superstar" when we've got players that are on much better contracts who produce much better than him.

Trade or retire: Boyle, Nash, Girardi, D. Moore, M Staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad