NYR Roster Building Thread Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'd be up for signing Stamkos to a big deal. Bring in Vatenan or Shattenkirk. Extend the window to win with Hank.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Arizona says they have the Rangers pick in June

There was some confusion about whether the Coyotes would get the New York Rangers’ first-round pick this season or next. The Coyotes acquired the pick at last season’s trade deadline in the deal that sent defenseman Keith Yandle to New York and brought Anthony Duclair to Arizona.

At the time of the deal, then-GM Don Maloney said the pick was lottery-protected. With New York making the playoffs this season, it was assumed the pick was the Coyotes’ until a recent New York Post story quoted NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly saying the Rangers could defer the pick until next year.

After checking, Coyotes spokesman Rich Nairn issued a one-line email on Wednesday clarifying the situation.

“Since the Rangers made the playoffs, we 100% own their first round pick.â€

http://arizonasports.com/story/6379...ahl-tucson-plans-that-rangers-1st-round-pick/

Gorton needs to clean house. The Rangers came close to winning in 2014. The team has headed backwards.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think there is surprisingly little talk about Gorton's decision to get more size and grit to this roster in light of how we look on the ice and especially the other PO series have looked. Speed and skill is really killing it out there. We look, scratch that, are very very flat. Slow and little ability with the puck.

The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if not a word is raised about this in NY and we go forward talking about the same names. Backes? Lucic? Eric Staal? Ladd? Is it really those type of players that are having success in the POs? Lifting their teams? Making the players around them better?

We do not play good enough hockey with the puck. Little swagger with it. Little creativity. Teams like Tampa and the Islanders are leaving us in the dust in those areas. I think it's important to be clutch and have an edge, no doubt. But without any single doubt I think the core ability a team MUST have right now in this league is the ability to be able to play an offensive game of hockey with the puck and a lot of speed.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
This is good news as it doesn't give our management the chance of screwing up and containing that pick. Now please lets not trade the 2018 1st. We desperately need some 1st round talent.

Lol, please. This organization has no bright hockey minds that are suddenly going to the wheels in motion to build a powerhouse.

They are run like a Broadway musical.

I hope that Gordy Clark is nowhere near this team at any draft.
After the Tarasenko, debacle. Moves like that will set this franchise back years. A bona-fide 40g scorer passes up on for an oaf that can't even Crack a 7th defense role. What a joke!

You can't keep glossing over failures like these. They amount to the reasons why the franchise is so self deluded and doomed

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
For those who were not around during the dark ages, get ready. This team going nowhere, they have very little in the system, and no low round pick in the near future. Hope it was worth it trading those two first's for old man STL. Yandle, who will walk this summer, because we have no business even trying to think of signing him because this team is going nowhere for the next 5 years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lol, please. This organization has no bright hockey minds that are suddenly going to the wheels in motion to build a powerhouse.

They are run like a Broadway musical.

I hope that Gordy Clark is nowhere near this team at any draft.
After the Tarasenko, debacle. Moves like that will set this franchise back years. A bona-fide 40g scorer passes up on for an oaf that can't even Crack a 7th defense role. What a joke!

You can't keep glossing over failures like these. They amount to the reasons why the franchise is so self deluded and doomed

You must be joking if you want Gordie Clark gone. He is good at his drafting.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Here are my hopes (Albeit unrealistic with this organization):

- AV fired.
- Nash traded for a first this year and a young roster player (Like Vatanen or Nuke).
- Staal traded with some money retained for a pick and a prospect.
- Girardi realizes he's done but since he's been a good soldier for 10 years they put him on LTIR.
- Yandle resigned 6 years $6.5 million per.
- Resign Hayes, Kreider and Miller.
- Sign Stamkos 7 years $9.5 million per.
- Trade Stepan for Shattenkirk who is then signed to an extension.
- Resign Raanta 2 years $1 million per.
- Resign Stalberg if he doesn't ask for too much. May be explore a trade with the Oilers for Pouilot if they retain 50%.
- Let Moore, Boyle and E. Staal walk.
- Give Hrivik a chance on the fourth line.
- If your not going to play Lindberg and McI look to move them to fill holes or add picks.
- Bring Buch over.
- Glass sent packing.

Kreider - Stamkos - Buch
Miller - Brassard - Zucc
Nuke - Hayes - Trade/UFA
Hrivik - Lindberg - Fast
UFA

McD - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Klein
Skjei - UFA/McI
UFA

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
You must be joking if you want Gordie Clark gone. He is good at his drafting.

I agree with this. The Rangers have a lot of guys that he's drafted play in the NHL.

Also I'd take Tarasenko 10/10, but thats hindsight. There was no way of knowing how great he would become, and how poorly McIlrath's development would go.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers trading young assets/drafts picks and the Rangers finding guys with those assets are two completely different discussions.

The Rangers have done a very good job of finding talent the past decade.

That's what makes the trading of picks that much harder to swallow.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I never wanted torts gone...just for the record.

Also I'd argue zucc and mcd were developing quite well under torts.

Miller is also a torts kinda player. Mdz was run outta town...played well under torts, not under av.

Zucc was bouncing around from the AHL to the NHL under Torts and nearly went home.

In three seasons with Torts as the coach he played 67 games, scored 11 goals and totaled 34 points.

He nearly doubled that in his first season under AV, saying nothing about the two years since.

McD took it to another level under AV. A player's continued development is not a given and I think we have to at least give some credit to AV on that one.

Del Zotto was run out of town and then run out of town in Nashville. And several years later he's still the same player he was - with the same strengths and weaknesses. In return we got Klein who has worked out very well.

Miller may or not may not have worked under Torts - something tells me Torts and him would've had more than few conflicts. But regardless, he's developed under AV. Everything else is hypothetical.

At the end of the day, people are entitled to disagree with AV's approaches - heck, I know I do. I'm just hesitant to ignore his accomplishments for the sake of harping on the failures. Because there have been more than a few successes as well.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Most of these ideas are straight up out of bananaland.

The Rangers cannot "clean house" and overhaul this team. Why?

They don't have the assets to do it (players worthy of that kind of return, draft picks, large contracts, etc.)

Truth is, what the Rangers need to do is take a hard look at this roster, and have some very difficult conversations with it's players. Conversations that won't be simple for players who given you the best run you've had as an organization in 20 years.

The Rangers must move one of the contracts of Nash or Staal to resign Yandle. It has to happen. Problem? Nash has a NTC and Staal has a LNTC. Plus, asking either of those teams to be willing to move won't be easy.

Should they stay? Tough conversation #1, Nash becomes a PKer and a 3rd liner player. He simply can't put up the production needed in the playoffs as a top line player. He can't. So why not give him an entire year to play with some linemates with the hopes he can get going against a team's 2nd and 3rd pairings?

Dan Girardi - unless he comes in training camp with a completely new game, will be playing 3rd D pairings, or even a 7th defender. Ton of money to eat as an organization. I get it, but he can't be on the ice. One of the worst seasons, historically, for a defenseman. He can't be on the ice.

Let Kevin Hayes walk. He has zero value to us. He's wasted potential.
Let Dom Moore walk. He's been great, but he's hit the wall.
Resign Kreider, JT, McIlrath.
Fill in the holes similar value signings like we have with Pouliot, Moore, Stalberg, Stempniak, etc.
I would have interest in seeing the cost of Stalberg, even E.Staal as 3rd/4th line players.

Find some righthanded shots to help the PP. Rebuild the 4th line and try and find a Top 6 winger (preferably RH).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Here's an idea. Gorton goes on WarOnIce.com, sorts by corsi for percentage, sorts backwards so the worst are at the top, and then he goes and gets a whole bunch of those players.

We'll finally have a roster that fits AV's system.

I wasn't talking about a roster that specifically fits AVs system. The two times this team has really struggled under him were in the fall of 2013 and the spring of 2015 through today. One thing that those periods share in common is that the defensive group had players playing in slots not suited to them. MDZ playing third pair RD until he got traded. A fully diminished Boyle this season playing 2nd pair RD. Klein playing 1st pair RD. Yandle playing 3rd pair LD.

The team was better off with John Moore playing a role he was suited for than Yandle playing a role below his ability. And if AV bumped Yandle up, as he's done at times, you still have the same issue because that means someone else is bumped down that shouldn't be.

That's what I mean by not having a cohesive roster. And in a lot of ways, the forwards had the same issues this year. Players underperforming don't help these kinds of situations either. And coaches can always make different decisions. But I don't think any coach will succeed in bringing an non-cohesive roster to big success.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I think there is surprisingly little talk about Gorton's decision to get more size and grit to this roster in light of how we look on the ice and especially the other PO series have looked. Speed and skill is really killing it out there. We look, scratch that, are very very flat. Slow and little ability with the puck.

The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if not a word is raised about this in NY and we go forward talking about the same names. Backes? Lucic? Eric Staal? Ladd? Is it really those type of players that are having success in the POs? Lifting their teams? Making the players around them better?

We do not play good enough hockey with the puck. Little swagger with it. Little creativity. Teams like Tampa and the Islanders are leaving us in the dust in those areas. I think it's important to be clutch and have an edge, no doubt. But without any single doubt I think the core ability a team MUST have right now in this league is the ability to be able to play an offensive game of hockey with the puck and a lot of speed.

Completely agree. We've brought in way too many slugs over the years (Stoll, Paille, Glass) instead of bringing in players with some speed and skill. And that's just for the bottom 6.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I hope so.

It's the only way, as long as Henrik is here management is going to try and build a team just good enough to rely on him to carry the weight. Not to mention the cap space. Henrik deserves every penny, but you don't need an 8 million dollar goalie to win a 'Cup.

I'd love to see Henrik retire a Ranger, and only a Ranger, but it's not what's best for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad