Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #8

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Oscar Lindberg won surprisingly easily in round 7. Ryan Graves is added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg

Oscar Lindberg
Center -- shoots L
Born Oct 29 1991 -- Skelleftea, Sweden
Height 6.01 -- Weight 190

2013-14 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 75 18-26-44 58PIM

preview.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersoon, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Shestyorkin, Igor
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Tambellini, Adam
Walcot, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew
Zamorsky, Petr

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I suspect this will be an easy one for Conor Allen.

Add Marek Hrivik. He hasn't shown the improvement we wanted to see last season, but he's still a borderline NHLer given his all-around play. This year will determine if he'll be seen as a future quality third liner or a future AHLer. Needs to show that he has not plateaued. That said, he's done enough to at least enter the poll at this point.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I find the statements regarding Lindberg's ranking a little puzzling. If you think he should be higher, there are obviously players that you see ranked in the top 6 who you think should be below him. Who are they?

IMO, it's nobody. Lindberg is a quality prospect, but our top-6 all has players who have a real possibility of being above average NHLers (top-6F, top-3D), whereas someone like Lindberg in my mind tops out as a third line defenseman.

That's going to be true for our second tier as a whole: Lindberg is likely to be followed by Allen (whose potential is 4-6D), followed by guys like Nieves and Haggerty, who also have bottom-6 potential. The only guy in our second tier who has boom/bust potential will probably be Danny Kristo.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
IMO, it's nobody. Lindberg is a quality prospect, but our top-6 all has players who have a real possibility of being above average NHLers (top-6F, top-3D), whereas someone like Lindberg in my mind tops out as a third line defenseman.

hat's going to be true for our second tier as a whole: Lindberg is likely to be followed by Allen (whose potential is 4-6D), followed by guys like Nieves and Haggerty, who also have bottom-6 potential. The only guy in our second tier who has boom/bust potential will probably be Danny Kristo.

'Zactly. (BTW, I take it you meant "defensive center" re: Lindberg.) I would add the caveat that some could eventually project higher, but we need to see major leaps forward from them in order to place them there. For example, if Haggerty jumps in and scores 25-30 in the AHL next year, that shot of his might propel him to potential second line status - but we need to see that first. Interestingly, the third tier will then likely have a number of guys who have higher ceilings, but are still so low-probability or so young that they can't be ranked higher than 11-15 (e.g. Tambellini, St. Croix, Halverson, Iverson).

I went Allen. Add Tambellini. I had/have major concerns about his performance at NoDak as well as his slight build, but was very encouraged by his WHL play and then Leslie's reports of how he's filled out and played a physical game at the development camp. If he breaks into the second tier, he's the other guy who might have boom/bust upside a la Kristo. Man, it would be great if we could develop a 6'4" offensive center...

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Allen, and Hrivik. Make or break year for Hrivik, if he doesn't sniff the NHL, he'll be KHL bound.

Darkhorse candidate to make the team, big body, good hands in and around the net, 3-zone player. If he isn't an NHLer, he'll have a long and successful career in Europe.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I find the statements regarding Lindberg's ranking a little puzzling. If you think he should be higher, there are obviously players that you see ranked in the top 6 who you think should be below him. Who are they?

I think Lindberg is more likely to make the NHL than most of the people on this list. I would have him top 5 for sure..... For this one, Allen and add Nejezchleb

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Allen. Add Graves.

Gets murky here, a lot of good prospects in their own way.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Fair enough. Who is ahead of him that should be bumped down?

He's probably ahead of Fast although I hate to admit that since I love Jespar. And I know we're all in love with Duclair and Buch because of this past season and I really hope they're for real, but Oscar is closer to being an NHL'er than both of them. And in my opinion, which means absolutely nothing, he's on par with McI. I think it's Miller/Skjei, then OL/Duke/Buch/Fast

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
He's probably ahead of Fast although I hate to admit that since I love Jespar. And I know we're all in love with Duclair and Buch because of this past season and I really hope they're for real, but Oscar is closer to being an NHL'er than both of them. And in my opinion, which means absolutely nothing, he's on par with McI. I think it's Miller/Skjei, then OL/Duke/Buch/Fast

We have this debate every time: what's more important, the ceiling or the likelihood of cracking the NHL. Usually the ceiling wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad