Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #12

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Brandon Halverson became the first goalie to be placed on our list, winning #11. C Keegan Iverson is added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty
11. G Brandon Halverson

Brandon Halverson
Goalie -- shoots R
Born Mar 29 1996 -- Traverse City, MI
Height 6.04 -- Weight 179

2013-14 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 19GP 12-6-1 2.96GAA .904

Halverson-Brandon-2.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersson, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Shestyorkin, Igor
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Going with Zamorsky. Add Bodie. Not impressed with Hrivik last year. Nieves needs to rebound as well. Thought about Tambellini and Iverson.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This should be an easy one for Hrivik, but because the hump and pump isn't there, it likely won't be.

Not one of the prospects on the list has a particularly high ceiling, but Hrivik is a guy who has easily the best odds of playing in the bottom-6. He's no sure thing, but he's a much safer bet than anyone else. Hrivik is close to making the NHL and has the potential to be a quality third liner. I would bet good money that he'll get called up this season for at least a cup of coffee, maybe more.

Add Ryan Bourque. He is a spark plug who hustles harder than anyone else we have on the Rangers or on the farm. Not a big fan of Bodie. Sure he played well last season, but he was already 23/24 years old. I like looking at the performance of college kids at the age of 20/21 when it actually shows something. Additionally, Bodie is way too skinny to play in the NHL as a defenseman.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Going with Zamorsky. Add Bodie. Not impressed with Hrivik last year. Nieves needs to rebound as well. Thought about Tambellini and Iverson.

I'm a big Hrivik fan, and if this was last year, he would get my vote easily. But I agree with everything eco's said above - except I went with Graves due to his remarkable season last year, rather than Zamorsky.

We talk about how important a prospect's post-draft progress is, and Graves's progress was phenomenal. Reports of his play were glowing - to the point that he inspired Val d'Or to go out and acquire him for two players at the deadline. And then he was a big factor in their extremely deep playoff run. But since he's primarily a defensive defenseman, his progress is much lower-profile than a Duclair, for example (who should still be ranked higher, don't get me wrong). Sign me up for the 6'4" 225 lb. defenseman who had the great year.

Add Bodie, the other college FA who the Rangers signed for the max ELC.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know NYR2K2 will hate me for saying this, but it's about time to start thinking about adding Michael St. Croix to the poll. The kids we will be adding now will be in the 4th tier for "Suspects", so it's not as if he's going to be ranked all that highly. Are his odds of making the NHL good? Of course not. But he has tremendous offensive talent, having scored over 200 points in his last two WHL seasons, carrying his team on his back. He also has decent size.

I know he spent the season in the ECHL, but he was a dominant player there. He would go on a cold streak every time he failed to stick in the AHL and got sent back down, so after each AHL call up, he'd go a few games without scoring in the ECHL. But when he didn't have confidence issues, he was absolutely a beast at this level.

If he sticks in the AHL next season, he might put up a decent enough offensive numbers that he'll skyrocket up the list. We don't know for a fact that this would happen, but he has terrific offensive skills.

I am not sure I want him up there next round, but at some point in the near future, we should have St. Croix start to see votes to be added to the poll.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This should be an easy one for Hrivik, but because the hump and pump isn't there, it likely won't be.

Not one of the prospects on the list has a particularly high ceiling, but Hrivik is a guy who has easily the best odds of playing in the bottom-6. He's no sure thing, but he's a much safer bet than anyone else. Hrivik is close to making the NHL and has the potential to be a quality third liner. I would bet good money that he'll get called up this season for at least a cup of coffee, maybe more.

Add Ryan Bourque. He is a spark plug who hustles harder than anyone else we have on the Rangers or on the farm. Not a big fan of Bodie. Sure he played well last season, but he was already 23/24 years old. I like looking at the performance of college kids at the age of 20/21 when it actually shows something. Additionally, Bodie is way too skinny to play in the NHL as a defenseman.

Bourque had a really good year last year. He'd probably be my next add. To be honest I like Bourque better than I like Hrivik at this point. What Hrivik has that those two don't have is a better hockey body. As you say Bodie is really skinny but Bourque is very small. Pretty much St. Louis, Zuccarello small--though Zucc has a pretty thick body. I think Ryan has clawed his way back in any case to being a legit prospect. Bodie was the co-captain of the NCAA winning Union College team and one of their top players. He was a sought after college free agent. You look at some guys like Rafalski or Krug or even for that matter Dan Boyle---all undrafted college free agents with size issues who found a way. That doesn't mean Bodie will but there is the possibility and that's pretty much how I look at Zamorsky too.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
it's about time to start thinking about adding Michael St. Croix to the poll.

I agree. Much like Kristo, this is going to be a make-or-break year for St. Croix. He needs to show the ability to stick at the AHL level. He also needs to bulk the hell up over the summer. I saw one of his first ECHL games here in Atlanta (Gwinnett is just northeast of the city), and he looked very slight of build. He wasn't flashy, but he always seemed to know where to be offensively to make a play. A true top-6 or bust prospect.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
This is a muddled mess. I think after Haggerty you can basically throw 10-15 names up in the air and the list will be the same quality however they land. I like a ton of these guys but we're dealing with a huge shortage of info given how far away they are.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This may be our first tie-breaker round. Only a single vote separates two prospects.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Hrivik, add Kevin Hayes (wait too soon or maybe too hopeful)

Add Missiaen.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Graves. Add Bourque.

What I find to be hilarious, is that there are a decent number of people who want to slot Bourque in as a potential fourth liner for the 2014-2015 season. Yet, he won't even crack our top two tiers of prospects. Either it is a glaring omission in the prospect poll or a complete lack of knowledge by those who believe he can compete for a spot (some of those posters are definitely among our best).

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hrivik, add Kevin Hayes (wait too soon or maybe too hopeful)

I'd love to sign him. He was just a beast in college, though his performance for Team USA in the last WJC was less than stellar. Either way, he's well worth getting the entry level max, then we'll see what he can do in the pros. I'll sign these types of prospects all day, every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad