Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Who is voting for Tambo because he has more points than Hrivik in different leagues? Who is even doing that?

This is specifically what I was referring to. Tell me how I misread this as anything other than stat-surfing:

Going with Tambellini. 52 points and 29 goals in 45 games for Calgary in the W this year.

I've heard there's qualms about his all-around game...

And I'm not even picking on Machinehead here because I've seen this exact argument before from multiple others.

Again, you're literally stats surfing yourself and telling others they can't. It's incredibly hypocritical.

Where did I say people can't look at stats? I specifically said it's fine. What I also said is that you need to know what to do with stats. My problem isn't you looking at stats, but at the fact that opinions are expressed that 53 points in 46 games are good, high stats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Tough choice between Tambo and Skapski, but I like the potential of Tambo and, from what I've heard, the kid has jumped leaps and bounds away from the puck.

Add Nejezchleb.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Tambellini, been voting him the last few rounds. He's a big guy who can finish.

All the talk of his numbers being average, I guess that's one way to look at it. Getlaf and Andrew Ladd had similar or worse numbers at the same age in Calgary WHL . I know that was a 'long' time ago but the point remains the same.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Tambo. Add Walcott.

Firsthand reports of Tambellini indicate that he has actually become quite good away from the puck and that he's shown much more willingness to go to the dirty areas of the ice. Those are big improvements in the areas where he needed to improve. And, as to the stat argument, is top 15 in scoring all that impressive for his age? No.

But third in the league in goals is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Went with Skapski.

Not a fan of Hrivik. Allen to me is a better player and is outpointing him so far this year--and Allen is a d-man. I don't see Hrivik making it with us--really. If he can't put up numbers in the AHL--at best he's a 4th liner in the NHL and there's no way in hell I'd take him over guys like Miller or Fast who are on our bottom lines now and could put up numbers in the AHL. He could push Glass out of job--that's about it.

And on Nieves. A really good first year. A not so hot sophomore year and a so-so junior year. I appreciate the fact that Red Berenson is a hell of a coach at Michigan but here's a problem I have with Nieves--good size, a really good skater but 15 goals in 94 career college games for an offensive oriented forward is a ****ing red flag for me. People use to ***** about Kreider's numbers at BC but his teams won championships and he'd knock in between 15-20 goals every year--not accumulate 15 over three years.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Voted Nieves, meant for Skapski, that kid has me excited. Seems to have legit starter potential. Add Walcott.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sometimes stats are all we have. I devote 3 hours every other night to watch 82 Rangers games as it is, I can't see every player. That's why NHL teams hire dozens of scouts. So I could very well be wrong, especially this late with really young guys.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes stats are all we have. I devote 3 hours every other night to watch 82 Rangers games as it is, I can't see every player. That's why NHL teams hire dozens of scouts. So I could very well be wrong, especially this late with really young guys.

...and that's true for practically everyone here.

Having watched the Rangers for over 40 years I'd like to think that I have at least a little bit of a grasp of reading signs that this or that guy is a long shot or no shot at all. I have seen all kinds of players that have failed in all kinds of ways. But...all the same it's an imperfect science that even the Rangers scouting staffs from one decade to the next seem to have trouble figuring out no matter how good or bad they are.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For five or six years, I would watch every stream I could find. I would even buy the individual streams of random CHL games. I watched every prospect I could, as much as I could.

Now, I have a young family and don't have nearly the time. I catch games when I can, but now I only see the non-AHL prospects two times or so per season. I try not to be too strong in my takes, since I have to rely on second hand information much more than before. One positive though is that I've become more patient with the kids in general, which is something I think about 90% of this board would be wise to learn as well. :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For five or six years, I would watch every stream I could find. I would even buy the individual streams of random CHL games. I watched every prospect I could, as much as I could.

Now, I have a young family and don't have nearly the time. I catch games when I can, but now I only see the non-AHL prospects two times or so per season. I try not to be too strong in my takes, since I have to rely on second hand information much more than before. One positive though is that I've become more patient with the kids in general, which is something I think about 90% of this board would be wise to learn as well. :)

Hey congrats on the family, man :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad