Proposal: NYR & OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Rangers trade:

Marc Staal
2018 1st round pick (the lower of TB or BOS)

For

Ottawa trade:

Bobby Ryan
2018 1st round pick (top 2 protected)

Ottawa saves about 15m on this trade while dropping down in the draft around 20-25 spots. This trade is not ideal fan wise but I keep reading that the owner wants to cut costs (so owner might be in favor).

I think Ryan can regain his form in NY. I feel like he would step into Nash's role. Hopefully he scores more offensively but won't be as good defensively.

This could potentially give the Rangers two top 10 picks.

You can probably draft Boqvist and Farabee type talent.

Or

Trade a 5th and a 10th to try to get #2 for Svechnikov.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I would also like to add that Staal will have a salary lower than his cap hit (which also interests the owner). This will allow the owner to pay less than the cap floor.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Well if you read it correctly. Ottawa's pick is top 2 protected so they would get to draft at 2nd overall.

Owner wanting to cut costs so much that he goes from say 3rd overall to 20th overall is HF meme echo-chamber BS. Melnyk is a cheap POS but even he is not dumb enough to do that.

Reactions: pld459666

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Stop. Senators aren't moving that pick (even top-2 protected) to move Ryan, especially if Staal is coming back.

There may be a "hockey deal" to be made where the teams trade bad deals (Ryan, Gaborik, MacArthur LTIR, Staal, Smith, ect) but the Senators aren't going to move out the highest pick they've had in 15 years.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't really want Ryan, but if it's at the expense of Staal, why not?

I'd try to work something around Staal + for Ryan and the Pittsburgh 1st rounder that went to Ottawa, because I know Ottawa isn't going to surrender their own pick this year. It makes no sense with the probability of Karlsson leaving.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And some of us Rangers fans consider to buy Staal contract out - I really doubt this will happen. The Ottawa GM will not do it with such a high draft pick consider their table position.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't really want Ryan, but if it's at the expense of Staal, why not?

I'd try to work something around Staal + for Ryan and the Pittsburgh 1st rounder that went to Ottawa, because I know Ottawa isn't going to surrender their own pick this year. It makes no sense with the probability of Karlsson leaving.

Not even sure I'd tack on a 1st round pick at this point. Ryan is still okay when he's healthy (few and far between obviously, but the guy is still an NHL caliber player). Not sure I can say the same for Staal at this point in time though.

I still think there may be a deal to be made here, but it would be strictly a money deal.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not even sure I'd tack on a 1st round pick at this point. Ryan is still okay when he's healthy (few and far between obviously, but the guy is still an NHL caliber player). Not sure I can say the same for Staal at this point in time though.

I still think there may be a deal to be made here, but it would be strictly a money deal.

That's fine, I just wouldn't do Ottawa any favors at this point by helping them save 2 million a year without some sort of reason to do so. Ryan also has one more year remaining on his deal than Staal does, so there's even less of a reason for the Rangers to do Ottawa any favors without compensation being involved.

I don't know what exactly would be going in return with Staal, there could be a ground met there, but the attraction of having a 4th pick in the first round this year would certainly be an attractive thought for the Rangers and I know that Ottawa wouldn't be looking to deal their own pick, so that's why I targeted Pittsburgh's pick that they got in the Brassard trade.

It probably won't happen anyway, so arguing is a moot point, but I just figured there might be a scenario where it could make sense for both clubs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's fine, I just wouldn't do Ottawa any favors at this point by helping them save 2 million a year without some sort of reason to do so. Ryan also has one more year remaining on his deal than Staal does, so there's even less of a reason for the Rangers to do Ottawa any favors without compensation being involved.

I don't know what exactly would be going in return with Staal, there could be a ground met there, but the attraction of having a 4th pick in the first round this year would certainly be an attractive thought for the Rangers and I know that Ottawa wouldn't be looking to deal their own pick, so that's why I targeted Pittsburgh's pick that they got in the Brassard trade.

It probably won't happen anyway, so arguing is a moot point, but I just figured there might be a scenario where it could make sense for both clubs.
Meh, with how many broken hands and finger Ryan has had he will be on the LTIR sooner than later....When he is healthy he is still a very skilled winger for us ,no sense in trading him let alone adding a high end asset

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Meh, with how many broken hands and finger Ryan has had he will be on the LTIR sooner than later....When he is healthy he is still a very skilled winger for us ,no sense in trading him let alone adding a high end asset

Yeah, I can see why the LTIR space gained is an asset, but he's not going to get to Horton/Lupul point, so at some point, he's going to come back onto the books.

It's just a matter of whether or not Melnyk would want to save money (Staal's actual salary drops after next season, so Melnyk saves there as well) or would he rather keep the better player and potential LTIR space for periods of time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, I can see why the LTIR space gained is an asset, but he's not going to get to Horton/Lupul point, so at some point, he's going to come back onto the books.

It's just a matter of whether or not Melnyk would want to save money (Staal's actual salary drops after next season, so Melnyk saves there as well) or would he rather keep the better player and potential LTIR space for periods of time.
EM needs to also make money ..The fanbase on Ottawa is already frothing at the mouth ,him dumping solid assets to save money ...Has caused quite the backlash with season ticket holders,nobody is buying them..Because of this ,we even have billboards in Ottawa telling him to GTFO.....

My bet is Ottawa doesnt do what most here are expecting......

Reactions: wafflepadsave

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
EM needs to also make money ..The fanbase on Ottawa is already frothing at the mouth ,him dumping solid assets to save money ...Has caused quite the backlash with season ticket holders,nobody is buying them..Because of this ,we even have billboards in Ottawa telling him to GTFO.....

My bet is Ottawa doesnt do what most here are expecting......

Entirely possible, I won't pretend to have a clue of what's going on in his mind. He's dismantled a team that went to game 7 of the ECF not even 12 months ago, so you can't really predict what he'll do next.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Entirely possible, I won't pretend to have a clue of what's going on in his mind. He's dismantled a team that went to game 7 of the ECF not even 12 months ago, so you can't really predict what he'll do next.

Lets be fair, though, did anybody think they were contenders to get back to game 7? Yeah, anything can happen, and it happened for them last year. Even last season, nobody thought they were as good as their playoff success. I wouldn't say he dismantled a deep contending playoff team.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is getting hilarious. Excited to see the next attempt to get Ottawa’s 1st to New York.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Lets be fair, though, did anybody think they were contenders to get back to game 7? Yeah, anything can happen, and it happened for them last year. Even last season, nobody thought they were as good as their playoff success. I wouldn't say he dismantled a deep contending playoff team.

That's not the issue. The issue is that they were a contender and they went far. How they got there or whether they were legit or not isn't the point.

The point is that with all of that success and the money that they probably made from that playoff run, you would figure they would want playoff revenue again, but I guess not. So Melnyk isn't exactly a predictable owner.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers trade:

Marc Staal
2018 1st round pick (the lower of TB or BOS)

For

Ottawa trade:

Bobby Ryan
2018 1st round pick (top 2 protected)

Ottawa saves about 15m on this trade while dropping down in the draft around 20-25 spots. This trade is not ideal fan wise but I keep reading that the owner wants to cut costs (so owner might be in favor).

I think Ryan can regain his form in NY. I feel like he would step into Nash's role. Hopefully he scores more offensively but won't be as good defensively.

This could potentially give the Rangers two top 10 picks.

You can probably draft Boqvist and Farabee type talent.

Or

Trade a 5th and a 10th to try to get #2 for Svechnikov.

No on every level from the Rangers. Staal played well this year. He actually might be a valuable mentor to all the young defenseman coming up soon that they have. Ryan is done, overpaid and pretty much useless at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad