Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Tyler Motte for Julien Gauthier and conditional 2023 7th round pick (becomes 6th if NYR win a playoff series)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Tyler Motte seems like a decent guy who is open about battling his demons. I have nothing but huge respect for a guy like that, I wish him all the best

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A hockey trade went down. It's only expected that you have fans from each team telling you how shitty the player who went the other way is.

Gauthier is an RFA. If the offer is only a 4th from NYR. They can potentially make that up or come close to getting the value they wanted by trading Gauthier. That's the risk they wanted to take. Maybe Gauthier succeeds. Maybe he plays well enough to get back a mid pick. Maybe they show him the door/send him down. The 4th isn't really doing much for them right now. He's got speed. If you have others on the 4th line who already play like Motte, then you probably don't need Motte if he's not playing well.

Rangers get a player who maybe struggled this season but at least they know him. He's a better 4th line player for us.

Fans keep posting "What's so special about Motte?"
Well, guys like Barabanov, or Barbashev weren't available for dirt cheap. It's not like Motte was the best of the potentially available players. Motte was just the most affordable for a team with not a lot of cap space and not a lot of assets they wanted to give up. They gave up nothing of value here because Gauthier was never going to provide what they wanted in our organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkadiusz

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Gauthier just can’t figure it out at the NHL level. Upside and tools are there to be an effective power forward, really strong skater. Hes normally the physically strongest player on the ice but he is soft as butter and never uses his strength. Struggles to finish

So another Kevin Hayes?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
A hockey trade went down. It's only expected that you have fans from each team telling you how shitty the player who went the other way is.
I think most Ottawa fans liked Motte. He was just never part of the long term plan. He was a late signing to replace Formenton's role for the year. If he was interested in sticking around and signing a reasonable extension I'm sure the team would have considered it. They have younger/cheaper ready to compete for that role though (plus possibly Formenton).

I don't know anything about Gauthier, but Bruce Garrioch says that Ottawa wanted to get a roster player back in a Motte trade so that they can trade Watson. Getting back a bubble player who is a pending RFA is a typical Dorion move. There is an 80% chance he is just a warm body, but a 20% chance they like the look of him and he sticks around.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gauthier has overdone expectations because of his size and speed combo. If you remove that veil, he's actually a very effective 4th liner.

Despite what people will say, he actually hits a lot. He's just not mean or a pest. I guess people wish he was but he's still good at what he does.

Motte is also effective and I feel like these guys are pretty interchangable.

The Rangers like Motte so it's not surprising that they're taking him back at a pro-rated hit. I think that was always sort of the plan.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Happy about this one. Motte's precisely what we need on our 4th line, and Gauthier isn't.

Sens fans - Gauthier is a big, fast, straight-line skater who is excellent at drawing penalties and getting on breakaways. He is awful at getting pucks past goalies and will frustrate you with his breakaway to actual goal ratio.

He has one move on breakaways - he comes in on the left, crosses over to the right while deking and then shoots it right at the goalie. If your coaching staff works on this to the point that he can convert half his breakaways, he could be a 10 goal scorer.
That's all we need from him. We're currently operating with 10 goals total between Kelly, Kastelic, Gambrell and Watson. Watson will be gone soon and Gauthier will take his place. Then Dorion just needs to remove Parker Kelly and we'll have a functional 4th line, hopefully.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Wish Gauthier the best. He's not bad on a 4th line, but he doesn't kill penalties. He hasn't shown enough to work himself into a middle 6 either. However, I do believe he's an NHL player. Just realize he is what he is. The size is there. The strength is there. The speed is there. The package just isn't going to come together as well as you'd like it to. I respect the fact that Gauthier never complained about getting scratched or not getting enough ice time.

From the Rangers perspective, they like Motte. He brings speed. He kills penalties. Hopefully he can stay healthy. He's a better fit for NY right now than Gauthier.

Hopefully goes down as a win/win,

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think most Ottawa fans liked Motte. He was just never part of the long term plan. He was a late signing to replace Formenton's role for the year. If he was interested in sticking around and signing a reasonable extension I'm sure the team would have considered it. They have younger/cheaper ready to compete for that role though (plus possibly Formenton).

I don't know anything about Gauthier, but Bruce Garrioch says that Ottawa wanted to get a roster player back in a Motte trade so that they can trade Watson. Getting back a bubble player who is a pending RFA is a typical Dorion move. There is an 80% chance he is just a warm body, but a 20% chance they like the look of him and he sticks around.
Gauthier is not bad. He's a 4th liner/13th type forward guy that has speed and size. Sometimes he surprises you and sometimes he is invisible. He does play a north/south game and finds himself near the net a lot but doesn't finish often. He does draw penalties though. He's an RFA who is arbitration eligible but not a bad trade for Ottawa.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
NOooooOoOoo! Look at the graph! It has bar graphs, don't rely on your observations and decades of watching hockey to make up your mind! Even if both players have recently played for your team and you know them well, just focus on the minus plus signs and the decimal points!!!1!! You can't just decide if a player could be good without going to war on ice and evolving wild websites!!!

Reactions: Boris Zubov

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Gauthier > Motte

Rangers must feel Motte can offer them something particular that Gauthier does not. Seems like an add trade. Motte was a good fit with the rangers when he was there so maybe that is what they’re banking on?
No he isn't. Motte is better on the forecheck, has a better motor, can PK, plays better defense, and has a higher hockey IQ. They both had 9 points this year so that's a wash. I don't hate Gauthier at all and wish him well but Motte is the better all around player and better fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad