Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] NY Rangers re-sign Kevin Hayes (2 years, $2.6M AAV)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Zibanejad deal gave them some nice breathing room. Had it not happened, they would be down just under 1,5 million I think.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The Zibanejad deal gave them some nice breathing room. Had it not happened, they would be down just under 1,5 million I think.

Just checked, NYR about $3.4 mil in cap space now?

Not a huge amount but if they could retain on someone like Staal, Nash, or Girardi, there would be enough room to bring back another big ticket player

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nice work, Gorton. Really impressed with his offseason so far, very solid job.

Now he has to pray Nash, Staal and Girardi regain some semblance of their former selves and values this season...

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Huh? I think he is doing worse at center.

His skating is ill suited for center and his faceoff percentage is fighting for worst in the league among qualified centers

He blows at faceoffs but if you set that aside (granted that's a big part of playing center) he is far and away better at center than wing. He just needs to get better at FO's, and he'll be fine. I think most Rangers fans would even be happy with 45%.

I'd rather he be hot garbage at one aspect of the game than at pretty much everything, which is what happens when you put him on the wing. At center he can be very effective.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He just looks completely lost on the wing. Skating around like a headless chook.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He just looks completely lost on the wing. Skating around like a headless chook.

That about sums it up. People looking at his FO% and say he sucks at center have obviously never watched him play.

Hayes disappointing season had a lot to do with the amount of time he spent on the wing, IMO. He's not entirely to blame but it definitely made him suck worse.

He had stretches his rookie season where his potential looked sky-high.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Fair enough, but no team can afford a guy to be 35% at the dot playing center so they have to figure out something there, or at least give him a wing that can take draws for him

He will be a negative possession player every year with that FO % taking draws

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Fair enough, but no team can afford a guy to be 35% at the dot playing center so they have to figure out something there, or at least give him a wing that can take draws for him

He will be a negative possession player every year with that FO % taking draws

Ideally we can park a center on his wing as well but yeah they should really hire Yanic Perreault to just teach Hayes faceoffs all year long.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That about sums it up. People looking at his FO% and say he sucks at center have obviously never watched him play.

Hayes disappointing season had a lot to do with the amount of time he spent on the wing, IMO. He's not entirely to blame but it definitely made him suck worse.

He had stretches his rookie season where his potential looked sky-high.

It did but also turning up at the camp out of shape. Fingers crossed he's learnt what it takes to be a fulltime athlete because he has all the talent in the world (70-80 point upside IMO).

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Just checked, NYR about $3.4 mil in cap space now?

Not a huge amount but if they could retain on someone like Staal, Nash, or Girardi, there would be enough room to bring back another big ticket player
Even at max retention I don't see any of those players returning a big ticket player. Unless said player has a big ticket cap hit on top of that.
His face-offs are terrible but he is pretty useless at wing.
Sounds to me like Hayes is pretty much useless as a forward in general. At least based on the comments here and other things I've heard Ranger fans say about KH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad