Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NSH] Michael Del Zotto for Kevin Klein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The thing is, the stats here aren't even 'advanced', unlike many baseball statistics like FIP and UZR. Unless you consider basic addition/subtraction advanced.
Most of them aren't. QoC, QoT, GVT etc. all can be. But anyways, stats shouldn't be judged on how difficult they are to calculate, but how useful they are.

But they are judged with how familiar people are with them instead. Why else would +/- be right next to points on most major listings?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...-del-zottowhen-kevin-klein-came-into-the-mix/

It's funny how Cody Franson is routinely mocked around here, yet the group of apes in the front office reportedly tried to trade for him over freaking Jake Gardiner Lol.

Which management team is dumber? The Leafs for turning down MDZ for Franson or the Rangers for wanting Franson over Gardiner?

I wonder how it's like for other teams when Nonis and Sather are at GM meetings. :laugh:

Absolutely unbelievable if what Dreger reported is true.

Actually scratch that. Believable.

Jake Gardiner isn't a right shooting defenseman, so he wasn't an option if that story is accurate.

On the other hand, neither is Marc Methot, so that story probably isn't 100% accurate.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Just so you know.....I hate Glen Sather and all of management, and am really wow'ed by anything they do right.

I don't know why you have this image of me that I'm a Sather fanboy.

Sorry, I was misguided by the original posts that you replied to.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Most of them aren't. QoC, QoT, GVT etc. all can be. But anyways, stats shouldn't be judged on how difficult they are to calculate, but how useful they are.

But they are judged with how familiar people are with them instead. Why else would +/- be right next to points on most major listings?

Exactly. :nod:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's garbage, yet the Rangers still preferred to trade for him first.

Put it together and it'll paint you a great picture of what to expect from this front office management.

You may think he's garbage, the Rangers certainly didn't.

You do not know this.

This is what Dreger is reporting, it's not a fact. It's 1) old news (ie he is just rereporting what he reported months ago), and 2) what someone has told Dreger.

That someone is probably someone inside Toronto.

Shortly after Dregers first report, Brooks reports that Toronto is dying to get rid of Kadri. Which screams pay-back long way for Toronto spreading BS rumors about us.

1) I think we would have taken Franson. But we got eyes, he is not a good NHL D. With his stats, he will cost a lot and he will do it in the near future.

I am not at all sure that we would have done MDZ straight up.

2. Toronto themselves has walked away from Franson two times the last 2.5 years. Just watch Toronto play. He is not a good fit there. With both Dion and him, and Ranger, they he way too slow back there. They also know that Franson yet again, a third time, will get paid. Will thy walk again?

I am sure the player they really want to get rid of is Franson. Hence the rumors we see.

Toronto don't feed any proposal they get to Dreger. Then nobody would talk with them. They feed what they feel are in their best interest. When Dreger is taking about Slats absolutely loving Franson and dying to get him, there is a reason for that. Toronto gains from it. Franson gains from it. Franson a agent gains from it.

Rumors are rumors, even if you here them from Dreger.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Absolutely unbelievable if what Dreger reported is true.

Actually scratch that. Believable.

It is OLD new from Dreger, same thing he reported what 3-4 weeks ago. Since then their obviously has been no talk.

A few days after Dregers report, Brooks reports that Toronto is dying to get rid of Kadri. Brooks almost never report rumors anymore. Who fed him that? Why? Brooks got like 1-2 rumors like that per year. If that.

If you want to keep Franson, it will cost you 4-5m. Franson is not a 4-5m D to us, to the Islanders maybe, not to us.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Theres another layer to this deal. Nashville seems intent on moving salary. Klien signed a $14MM contract last summer. Last week they moved Matt Hendricks and his $15MM contract to Edmonton. If yoiu are going to have a lousy hockey team, why pay big dollar for the privlidge? I wouldn't be certain that MDZ will be qualified at $2.9MM this summer. He better play well or he'll be in Calgary or Edmonton in July.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think this is relevant to this discussion:

Bd96AtBCUAAB8Jd.png

http://grantland.com/features/sean-mcindoe-nhl-grantland-dictionary/

Hahahaha! Oh, that is awesome. :laugh:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don't think any of us are unaware of Franson's defensive deficiencies, but no talent? The guy leads his team in assists and is 21st in the league among D. He has talent.

Didn't say Franson has "no talent".

Ie... Taylor Pyatt has some talent. Sather likes his size. Pouliout has some talent. Sather likes his size. He magnifies it if it's in a big body.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Del Zotto was excellent the year before the lock-out. offensively and defensively. He was playing big minutes for a missing Staal. admirable showing in the playoffs. Lock-out seasons are always difficult to read and then under AV, with a healthy Staal in tow, it was a matter of which direction you wanted to invest in? Staal or MDZ? AV made his choice abundantly clear and really gave Sather no choice. Deal MDZ or watch AV destroy MDZ's skill and trade value even further. Ultimately, Sather hired AV but this is more about AV's personnel decisions rather than Sather's asset management. The return is good so I wouldn't give Slats a bad grade there. B/B-

love affair with Franson? I don't understand one bit. I'd take Klein and his defensive reliability over Franson's points and defensive gaffs any day. If we have sound defense, our goaltending is top notch enough to give us the best chance at success. The goal for/against differential between Klein and Franson, I don't know what it is but i'm betting Klein wins that one with a generous margin.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean, I'm not doubting that you're a MDZ supporter or hater, I'm just messing around with the idea of so called 'unbiased eyes' when you've already made it clear within your mind that these are 'clearly flawed' in your last post.

And in your eyes they obviously clearly aren't... so what's the point?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
errrr....

Err what? You think my opinion of advanced metrics somehow makes me view the game with a skewed bias?

Stralman has better possession numbers than McDonagh because he starts more shifts in the defensive zone and plays against a lot tougher opponents.

usage44.jpg

Top left to bottom right is progressively tough minutes.

No kidding. Can you do this in crayon? I can't read charts.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
And in your eyes they obviously clearly aren't... so what's the point?

I guess then an argument can be made that everything is flawed, which is sorta true with statistics.

No one said it's perfect, but people can continue to bury their heads in sand and ignore them while writing them off as 'flawed'.

Even when professional NHL teams like the Sharks, Blue Jackets, Hawks, Kings and Blues have been utilizing it.

:biglaugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I guess then an argument can be made that everything is flawed, which is sorta true with statistics.

No one said it's perfect, but people can continue to bury their heads in sand and ignore them while writing them off as 'flawed'.

Even when professional NHL teams like the Sharks, Blue Jackets, Hawks, Kings and Blues have been utilizing it.

:biglaugh:

I'm sure they use it in conjunction with video rather than just numbers in a spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad