Confirmed with Link: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Honest question. Grabner produces a lot of offense on the 5 on 5. Why are the possession numbers so bad?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rykov had 7 points in 7 games in the WJC as a DEFENSIVE defenseman, same as Lias had as a forward. Was the captain of U18 Champsionship Team Russia too and the A for WJC Team Russia. Not terrible. Don't rush to conclusions that we got ripped off.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Most people said 1st or 2nd + prospect. The rumors have been that Gorton was looking to bring in more prospects to try to accelerate any rebuild. This is no surprise. And not indicative of a buyers market either.

Any word on this kid’s contract status over there?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Very nice!!

Ranger's have seen A LOT of Rykov since he plays on the same team as shestyorkin. He's also been one of the better defenseman on the last 2 Russia WJC teams he was on. They must like what they see out of him, he defintely does not look like a former 5th round pick, that's for sure.

A lot of you need to RELAX for 5 seconds and do a little research before crying in here.

Reactions: Riche16 and nevesis

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Most people said 1st or 2nd + prospect. The rumors have been that Gorton was looking to bring in more prospects to try to accelerate any rebuild. This is no surprise. And not indicative of a buyers market either.

Any word on this kid’s contract status over there?

I believe hes signed through 2019 like Igor.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Honest question. Grabner produces a lot of offense on the 5 on 5. Why are the possession numbers so bad?
Doesn't score based on possession. How much time elapses between stealing the puck at his own blue line and scoring... less than 1o seconds.

Rykov plays with Shesty, I'm sure our scouts have seen him play PLENTY. Im happy with this return.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said it on the Devils board to a Rangers fans but I thought I'd share here.

I think the Rangers likely could've gotten a better prospect than Rykov for Grabner in this type of deal. That being said, I think it's a worthy gamble from a Rangers point of view. Do you take the 'safer' prospect that might develop into a good, but not great player or do you gamble on the prospect that could develop into a very good player?

I think Rykov falls into the gamble side, but it's hard to tell what's truly there, when he comes over, and how he adjusts.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
He doesn't create offense via possession. He's creates his chances off the rush. He does a lot all by himself, but he doesn't do a lot to make his teammates better. IMO - He's a nice piece to have that other teams have to prepare for, and I'll be damned if he can't put a puck in an empty net. lol

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rykov had 7 points in 7 games in the WJC as a DEFENSIVE defenseman, same as Lias had as a forward. Was the captain of WJC Team Russia too. Not terrible. Don't rush to conclusions that we got ripped off.

Thought i read somewhere he was somewhat of a PMD.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Because everyone's possession numbers are bad on the Rangers, its just the awful system our coach uses

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
weren't there like 11 teams interested? all those teams bidding and this is the best offer? and we couldn't wait till monday to see if someone panicked and topped it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad