Proposal: NYR-MTL: 9th + 26th + 30th overall for 3rd overall

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I need Jane Goodall to decipher this thread. I am certain she will generate some strong insights from doing field research here.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
That's it? We got two seconds you can throw in, too. If you're gonna bend over, you may as well touch your toes. :thumbd:

Why would you post when you have no idea what you're talking about? The 3rd overall pick is worth 2250 points, your 3 picks combined are 2000 points: (and that's discounting the fact that the 3rd OA pick is more valuable because there's a very good player available)

gZFXxa1.png

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Why would you post when you have no idea what you're talking about? The 3rd overall pick is worth 2250 points, your 3 picks combined are 2000 points: (and that's discounting the fact that the 3rd OA pick is more valuable because there's a very good player available)

gZFXxa1.png
You can absolutely jam this chart. I don't care one bit about it. This is about what this team needs, not your statistical analysis. This team needs players in every position. It has a chance to add them. That is a fact. To trade those chances to go in on one guy, a guy who's not even the first pick or the "generational" guy is ridiculous. You could give this team McDavid right now and they're still not lifting the cup at the end of the year. I don't think any of these guys are equal to him, unless you have some chart that explains that as well. So please, return this chart to whatever nerdery you got it from because I have no use for it. I know what I'm talking about when I say that.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
You can absolutely jam this chart. I don't care one bit about it. This is about what this team needs, not your statistical analysis. This team needs players in every position. It has a chance to add them. That is a fact. To trade those chances to go in on one guy, a guy who's not even the first pick or the "generational" guy is ridiculous. You could give this team McDavid right now and they're still not lifting the cup at the end of the year. I don't think any of these guys are equal to him, unless you have some chart that explains that as well. So please, return this chart to whatever nerdery you got it from because I have no use for it. I know what I'm talking about when I say that.

:clap::bow: That was beautiful.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

You don't like the charts because it does't fit your agenda.

Rangers' 25th and 30th will likely be flops or bottom 6 plugs.

And seeing how bad the habs organization drafts between 20-30, I'm not interested at all to trade the 3rd in a draft in which the top 3 is ahead of the rest.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rangers Trade:
- Howden
- 9th pick

Habs Trade:
- 3rd overall (Zadina)
- Goalie prospect (Hawkey) or a 2018 3rd

That's the only deal I would do with the Rangers. They have depth at center in the prospect pool and if you want Zadina, that's what it will take to pry him away from the Habs. Habs need to acquire a center and Howden fits. The 9th pick is a gamble... there will be some solid picks to choose from but it's not a slam dunk like Zadina at 3rd.

The two late 1st round picks are even a bigger gamble. You have a 50/50 shot at hitting on a future NHL player.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
I think you're overestimating the chance you have at adding roster players (let alone quality roster players) with those picks.

I don't want any part of this deal, people on this board overvalue picks way too much.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You don't like the charts because it does't fit your agenda.

Rangers' 25th and 30th will likely be flops or bottom 6 plugs.

And seeing how bad the habs organization drafts between 20-30, I'm not interested at all to trade the 3rd in a draft in which the top 3 is ahead of the rest.
Well good. You don't want to trade the 3rd to NY, and while I don't speak for everyone, I don't want it if the price is what's been suggested. I don't have an agenda, I have an opinion. My opinion is that chart is crap.

Reactions: haveandare

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think you're overestimating the chance you have at adding roster players (let alone quality roster players) with those picks.

I don't want any part of this deal, people on this board overvalue picks way too much.
I agree picks are overvalued when people think trading proven NHL talent for them is a great idea. That's not what is being proposed. I know that the picks are no guarantee. I also know if you don't have picks you don't get a chance at getting anybody. There's a lot of players in the NHL and most of them were not top 5 draft picks. My opinion has been stated, I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse. I would keep our picks. I may move them up individually but the idea of just passing them all over to Montreal of all teams is no deal I want any part of. If anyone thinks its a good idea, ask yourself why would Montreal do it?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Rangers Trade:
- Howden
- 9th pick

Habs Trade:
- 3rd overall (Zadina)

That's the only deal I would do with the Rangers. They have depth at center in the prospect pool and if you want Zadina, that's what it will take to pry him away from the Habs. Habs need to acquire a center and Howden fits. The 9th pick is a gamble... there will be some solid picks to choose from but it's not a slam dunk like Zadina at 3rd.

The two late 1st round picks are even a bigger gamble. You have a 50/50 shot at hitting on a future NHL player.
I don't like the idea of giving up Howden before he's been to a camp but I would understand if they did this one. Is this deal done after you've already selected Zadina or before you know who's on the board?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't like the idea of giving up Howden before he's been to a camp but I would understand if they did this one. Is this deal done after you've already selected Zadina or before you know who's on the board?

I think it's fair value and I would make that deal before the Habs pick 3rd.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

gZFXxa1.png

Take your own advice...

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Well good. You don't want to trade the 3rd to NY, and while I don't speak for everyone, I don't want it if the price is what's been suggested. I don't have an agenda, I have an opinion. My opinion is that chart is crap.

I'm fine with that, but the chart is only a reflection of the odds that a pick becomes something good.

Facts and numbers are hardly debatable, but the other variable here is if the team has good recruiters. If you believe that's the case in NY, it's indeed not a trade they should do.

Personnally, if roles where inverted, I'd trade these 3 picks for the 3OA, knowing that Montreal's magic beans often end up growing AHL players.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'm fine with that, but the chart is only a reflection of the odds that a pick becomes something good.

Facts and numbers are hardly debatable, but the other variable here is if the team has good recruiters. If you believe that's the case in NY, it's indeed not a trade they should do.

Personnally, if roles where inverted, I'd trade these 3 picks for the 3OA, knowing that Montreal's magic beans often end up growing AHL players.
I've been here before. We got Pavel Brendl. Just because you pick high doesn't mean you get what you think you're getting. I understand the odds. I'm willing to live with that, but I'm not a decision maker for the team. They may do just this, and I will disagree, and the player they take could become a hall of famer. If I'm wrong so be it. It won't be the first time or the last.

Reactions: DaPhazz

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Rangers Trade:
- Howden
- 9th pick

Habs Trade:
- 3rd overall (Zadina)

As a Rangers fan this would be my preferable deal,but I don't think Montreal would do it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Would the Rangers do #12 from the Isles for #25, #30 and one of the 2nds?
If they are willing to deal those picks I think they find someone other than the Isles. You're really playing with fire giving up assets to your cross town rivals.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Rangers Trade:
- Howden
- 9th pick

Habs Trade:
- 3rd overall (Zadina)

I think this is less value than the first deal, but it suits the Habs' needs better. It stings, but I'd be down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think this is less value than the first deal, but it suits the Habs' needs better. It stings, but I'd be down.

Any trade that makes both sides think, is a good trade. Doesn't mean both sides accept it though. Not even sure how other Habs fans think about it. Habs can get burned by trading Zadina. Most believe he is a future 30+ NHL goal scorer and he has proven he can score everywhere he plays (Q, U20, Prospects game, etc).

I agree it's a bigger return for the Habs vs the offer in this thread. My problem with the two late 1st's is that there are no guarantees. We have seen so many times where they are a bust or a bottom 6 depth. Don't get me wrong, it's a deep draft and the probability to hit appears to be better but I'm not trading Zadina for the chance at we might hit with those late 1st's. It could end up being Zadina vs the 9th pick in the end. Inserting Howden in the mix in replace of the two late 1st's makes the Habs think more for sure! Makes both sides think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad