Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I don't know that seems like a lot of money for a guy that presumably only wanted to play in NY. Add in the fact that the Rangers had to give up a 1st and Pionk just to get him, not sure this was even a good move in a vacuum, let alone when you consider the Rangers have a ton of deadweight still on their back end they need to unload.

Reactions: Psych0dad

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
50 points this season got him paid, but I think he continues to be a guy capable of doing that for the next several seasons. I like it for the Rangers

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
He's a #1, and more towards the top end if #1 D-men then the low end.
I disagree as a Rangers fan. For me, he's a high end #2 D-man and he's worth the money, but he has the chance to become a 1D if he improves as he has every year.

Reactions: hn777

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Fine contract, straight through his best years. Maybe a little high but not really anything that's going to hurt the team much.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He's a #1, and more towards the top end if #1 D-men then the low end.

He is closer to a high end #2 than high end #1. That said I think this contract is good. Salaries are rising and 8M for a legit #1 is fine. He isnt a superstar and its being paid like one.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
a top pairing Dman paid at market value while entering his prime years?
yeah this is a good deal, I think the Rangers are going to make a push for Lundqvist next season

Reactions: Salsa Shark

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Don’t let quantitative data get in the way of reason. Trouba doesn’t drive play well at all. What exactly makes him more than a 2nd pair guy?

Don’t let quantitive data that excludes context and is cherry picked for a certain argument* get in the way of reason.

What makes him more than a 2nd pairing guy? The fact that he excelled in all situations first pairing minutes and put up 50 points while doing so?

Is he worth 8 million? I don’t know, ask me in a few years when the cap goes up and lesser defenders get higher AAV’s.

He’ll come in and be the Rangers number one defender and he’s only 25 and they bought UFA years out. It is a little higher than I’d like? Yes. Do I understand why they did it? Yes. He’s probably making a million more than I’d like. Is that going to kill the Rangers if he continues to do what he did last year, which he has a chance to continue to do? Absolutely not.

Get over yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad