Confirmed with Link: NYR have Signed Igor Shesterkin and Vitali Kravtsov to ELCs (Confirmed by NYR)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's still money paid to him for the season, but I see what you're saying. With performance bonuses he can go over 1 mil depending on how well he does. The odds of him making multiple millions in his 1st season are slim though.

Yes, but the signing bonus he still gets even if he goes back to Russia. It's paid out on July 1st each year.

It's doubtful it happens anyway, even if he goes to the AHL. He has said that already. But him getting the EAC included in his contract makes sense. It's clever negotiating by his agent. I expect Kravtsov also having one

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think you are looking to deep into it. If his agent is able to get the Rangers to agree to it then why not put it in? It's always better to have options. Almost a zero % chance but what happens if Geo plays out of his mind next year, literally Vezina type stats, then Shest gets buried in the minors for 2 years? It's good to have but you're reading too much into it.

What in the world?

All I was doing was explaining how it’s not a “No AHL” clause. There was no worry that he’d actually end up exercising it in my post.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What in the world?

All I was doing was explaining how it’s not a “No AHL” clause. There was no worry that he’d actually end up exercising it in my post.

Exactly. It's a European Assignment clause, which can be used at any moment. That doesn't mean he's "likely to use it while in the NHL". It just explains how it works and that it is indeed possible

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
After another strong performance in the KHL, the 2018 No. 9 pick is expected to be headed to the Rangers ahead of next season. There was some hope the team would be able to get Kravtsov for the end of this season, but Traktor Chelyabinsk will not release him from his contract before it expires after April 30. He's coming, but now the question is, how soon can he contribute?

With 21 points this season, he had a respectable campaign for a U20 player in Russia's top professional league -- and all while playing on a particularly poor team. He also was a top performer at the World Junior Championship, but there might be a few kinks in his game that still need to be worked out, perhaps with some time in the AHL. All signs point to him being on the NHL roster, though.

Kravtsov has some high-end skills that, combined with his size, allow him to project very favorably as a top-six NHL winger. I'm interested to see how he adjusts to the North American professional style, as I thought he struggled a bit in more tightly checked games. Additionally, the speed of the NHL is one of the primary differences between the two leagues. I highly doubt the Rangers will park him in the AHL for any extended amount of time, but I still think there's going to be an adjustment period for him. And it shouldn't induce panic by any means if that does end up happening.

It appears Shesterkin could be coming to the Rangers as soon as next season, as multiple reports suggest he'll sign as soon as his current KHL deal is over. With Alexandar Georgiev really proving his worth this season as Henrik Lundqvist's backup, the Rangers are in an uncomfortable position.

The idea that Shesterkin can jump straight into the NHL next season, however, does not hold water with me. I've spoken with goalie analysts for NHL teams who believe every goalie coming from Europe should start in the AHL and adjust. The shot angles change, the speed of the game is different and everything is more confined. Additionally, Shesterkin still hasn't had a season in which he has carried the full load as a starter. A full season in the AHL would not be a bad idea, unless he proves to manage the transition rather easily. That should buy time for the Rangers to have a better long-term assessment of Georgiev and where he fits in.

Rykov's contract in the KHL will be up on April 30, putting the Rangers in the driver's seat to lure him over to North America. The belief has been that he would come over, but upon the conclusion of HC Sochi's season, he told Russian reporter Igor Eronko that he did not have an answer for whether he would be making the jump. Rykov was one of the key pieces in the Michael Grabner trade with the New Jersey Devils last season. Rykov also was traded in the KHL this season, getting much more ice time with Sochi than he would have with SKA. He averaged 19:24 per game in 47 regular-season appearances and played even more in Sochi's brief playoff run. The 21-year-old likely would need some significant AHL time to adjust, but he remains an intriguing prospect who could help the Rangers long term if he reaches his potential.

When will the top-tier NHL prospects in the KHL come overseas?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
What in the world?

I didn’t mean to start a whole thing... I missed the news where he said he would go the AHL... at the time I was merely stating that plopping him in Hartford May not be a simple solution to the 3 starters issue.

I’ll bow out now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

"The KHL season is drawing to a close. Last week saw a few surprising developments, as both the Vegas Golden Knights and Columbus Blue Jacketswere able to acquire players just before their KHL deals officially expired. It's pretty rare something like that happens, but it's great news for those two teams."

Sure, if you have no clue why KHL teams retain a player's rights, it may be a surprising development.

Gavrikov as a 23-year old defenseman has no value for SKA. A bottom-pair guy who is easily replaced and won't be of any interest for most KHL teams in the event of an NHL lock out

Gusev is turning 27 next year, so KHL rights would expire by then anyway.

If a reporter does not understand the difference between these two players, and Rykov, Shestyorkin and Kravtsov, he should stop writing about KHL prospects.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm so not tied to any one player or prospect that if the team thought it fast tracked the rebuild and the deal made sense, I'd be ok moving the #2OA pick.

Players come and go, I enjoy them while they are here and wish them ill when they leave

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm so not tied to any one player or prospect that if the team thought it fast tracked the rebuild and the deal made sense, I'd be ok moving the #2OA pick.

Players come and go, I enjoy them while they are here and wish them ill when they leave

My problem is that every offer will be based on quantity, not quality.

We have quantity. My god, do we have quantity. What we need is a game-breaking talent which we can pick with the 2nd overall selection.

I've seen offers of Horvat+Boeser+10th overall. No way in hell I am doing that. It's not getting us anywhere

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Somehow I hadn’t seen this until yesterday. Yeah, Kravtsov looks like ****ing Datsyuk in these highlights, holy ****. The way he leans his skates to generate balance while stick handling is basically the same.

He's sooooo smooth on his skates. And he's pretty defensive responsible with an active stick and often in the right spot to make a play. He can take the puck right off the Dman's stick stick from behind, shift his weight on his skates and be in a shooting position just like that. If the second defender overcommits to cut him off he'll just burn them with his hands. Scary that he's so young with more room to grow.

I made a Datsyuk-lite comparison last year regarding his skate edges and balance,slick hands, excellent IQ, and being defensively responsible, but was informed it was lazy cuz they're both Russian lol

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I've seen offers of Horvat+Boeser+10th overall. No way in hell I am doing that. It's not getting us anywhere

there was this article at Athletic, but fee required
What the Canucks would have to do to trade up for Jack...

the key paragraphs
"Asking league sources to get an idea of the package required to make a team think about trading down from the top two picks, it’s clear people in the NHL have a different perspective of Hughes’ worth than many fans, especially in Vancouver.
“It would take a Lindros package,” one said
The Quebec Nordiques, of course, traded Eric Lindros — considered a generational talent — to the Philadelphia Flyers in one of the league’s biggest deals, one that laid the groundwork for a Colorado Avalanche dynasty team.
Quebec got Steve Duchesne, a big-time point-producer on the blueline, Kerry Huffman, another defenceman, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, the 25th-overall selection in the 1990 draft (Chris Simon), two first-round picks, $15 million and Peter Forsberg, a future superstar.
If it really would take a Lindros-like deal from the Canucks, and it does make sense because the New York Rangers have little motivation to trade out of a spot where they can add a franchise player, how the heck could the Canucks come up with something close?
This is how another NHL person put it:
“Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons).
“That’s a broad outline. It’s the same as trading for Elias Pettersson or Auston Matthews, really.”
That’s some outline. And there was another possible outline including both Bo Horvat and Troy Stecher.
It would be this year’s first, a 2020 unprotected first, two second-round picks, Horvat, Stecher and one more player and take back all that cap space."

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He's sooooo smooth on his skates. And he's pretty defensive responsible with an active stick and often in the right spot to make a play. He can take the puck right off the Dman's stick stick from behind, shift his weight on his skates and be in a shooting position just like that. If the second defender overcommits to cut him off he'll just burn them with his hands. Scary that he's so young with more room to grow.

I made a Datsyuk-lite comparison last year regarding his skate edges and balance,slick hands, excellent IQ, and being defensively responsible, but was informed it was lazy cuz they're both Russian lol
Pettersson

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't think he and Petterson are alike at all. They have some of the same attributes, but play with totally different styles and look like totally different players.
Idk, they’re both tall lanky players with very loose strides and stickhandle in this very slippery way where it looks as if they’re going to lose possession but they never do lol. Both have a great stick defensively, have similar strange shooting mechanics where it looks as if they’re barely flexing their stick. What do you think is so different about their playstyles?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I love Hank and what he’s done for us, but loyalty can cost us our future. It sucks and I wish it wasn’t this way, but it is what it is. Hank is a great guy and we shouldn’t blatantly force him out, but he could force himself out. He sees that we now have two young and really good goalie prospects. I don’t know. It’s a tough situation. I say keep him (if he wants to stay of course) unless both Georgiev and Shestyorkin show that they are NHL-ready.

There is almost no way to reasonably look at this and think that "loyalty" here can cost us

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Idk Kravstov seems a lot smoother and more of a playmaker whereas Forsberg is a crash and bang goal scorer who happens to have great hands

Kravtsov in the KHL plays different from what he does with the national team. He's much more aggressive than he seems when playing with Traktor.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Idk, they’re both tall lanky players with very loose strides and stickhandle in this very slippery way where it looks as if they’re going to lose possession but they never do lol. Both have a great stick defensively, have similar strange shooting mechanics where it looks as if they’re barely flexing their stick. What do you think is so different about their playstyles?

Mostly, I think they use their bodies in totally different ways. By use their bodies, I don't mean them being physical in terms of hitting or board work, etc. I just feel like Pettersson is all hands and arms while Kravtsov is using all of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad