Confirmed with Link: NYR have Signed Igor Shesterkin and Vitali Kravtsov to ELCs (Confirmed by NYR)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This seems like a very simplistic and misleading way to a describe a European out clause.
How's it misleading? The clause states that he doesn't have to go to the AHL and can return if he likes.

Not sure why it would be in there if he had intentions of being open to time in the AHL.

But whatever. I just wouldn't assume we can just stash him there.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
First there was Wayne Redden, then Chris Drury, then Brad Richards.

Then, Dan Girardi, then Marc Staal.

Now, Henrik Lundqvist has become the boards favorite whipping boy.

You know what? HL has four choices: he can retire, he can ask to be let out of his contract and end his career in Sweden, he can ask to be traded, or he can play out his contract here.

And, there is nothing any of you can do about it. The choice is totally his. Has he earned that right? Absolutely: legally, morally, personally, any way you want to put it.

Yes, he is not what he once was, but we are certainly going to miss him, in every way, when he is gone. I want to treasure what is left of his time here. There are no complaints from me, no matter what he opts to do.
Post of the day! Well said, Al!

Reactions: Rongomania

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
How's it misleading? The clause states that he doesn't have to go to the AHL and can return if he likes.

Not sure why it would be in there if he had intentions of being open to time in the AHL.

Shesty is on record in the last week or two as saying he will go to Hartford if he is sent there.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Never saw that

New York Rangers: Igor Shestyorkin denies demanding to play only in NHL

Shevchenko: They say they do not agree to a bilateral contract with the Rangers and are threatening to stay in Russia.
Shestyorkin: Oh, I also saw it all and was very surprised. Either I was incorrectly translated, or someone just wrote a lie. But how can I demand from the Rangers to play only in the NHL? I just have no right to do that. So all this is nonsense.”
Shevchenko: And if you are sent to the Hartford in the AHL?
Shestyorkin: I’ll go to Hartford. But I’m not ready to talk about it at all. Give time.

It was a day or two after his elimination from the KHL playoffs.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If Henrik legitimately wants to never leave NY, why do you guys assume it's possible he'll be traded? Do you think they'll strongarm him or something? I know that trading him would be for the best at that point, but after what he's done for us he deserves whatever he wishes, and I really hope he doesn't end up feeling forced out.
I love Hank and what he’s done for us, but loyalty can cost us our future. It sucks and I wish it wasn’t this way, but it is what it is. Hank is a great guy and we shouldn’t blatantly force him out, but he could force himself out. He sees that we now have two young and really good goalie prospects. I don’t know. It’s a tough situation. I say keep him (if he wants to stay of course) unless both Georgiev and Shestyorkin show that they are NHL-ready.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Don't we need to trade Georgiev or risk losing him to expansion team?
No, because Hank’s contract expires the year the expansion draft happens, so we don’t need to protect him. So we can protect Georgiev, and Shestyorkin won’t need to be protected because he will only be in his 2nd year (1st and 2nd year players are exempt).

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
That's fair but this isn't about Hank's current abilities, it's about his age and the fact that we're not competing now even for the playoffs, so even if he still has it what good does it do when there are two promising much younger goalies available to play?
I guess I just look at it as if we're not at that point yet. Being young doesn't mean they supplant him just because he's older (working under the assumption that he still has it). They need to prove themselves before we get there. Georgie took a big step in doing that last year and Shesty is promising but we haven't seen him play any time in NA yet. I'm still in the "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" mode.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I guess I just look at it as if we're not at that point yet. Being young doesn't mean they supplant him just because he's older (working under the assumption that he still has it). They need to prove themselves before we get there. Georgie took a big step in doing that last year and Shesty is promising but we haven't seen him play any time in NA yet. I'm still in the "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" mode.

I know what Shesty said in the interview but I still find his out clause unsettling. That's basically why I'm concerned about the arrangement.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018

its just a formality usually

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
MSL also wasn't here for 14 years. I don't necessarily think Hank will keep playing after this deal, but he's in no way comparable to MSL in terms of dedication to this franchise.

The point was that what a player says today can change tomorrow. I'm sure this past year wasn't easy on Henrik. Next year could be worse, with him possibly sharing the net with 2 other goalies.

Reactions: haveandare

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It’s completely misleading. Lundqvist has what you might call a “No AHL clause.” So does Shattenkirk and so does Staal. The team is literally not allowed to assign those guys to the AHL.

They’re allowed to assign Shesterkin to the AHL and, if they do, he has the right to go back to Europe, but he doesn’t have to. That’s a completely different thing. It would be a completely different thing even if Shesterkin didn’t say he’d go.

Buchnevich had one of those clauses in his contract too. He didn’t bolt when he was asked to go down.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It’s completely misleading. Lundqvist has what you might call a “No AHL clause.” So does Shattenkirk and so does Staal. The team is literally not allowed to assign those guys to the AHL.

They’re allowed to assign Shesterkin to the AHL and, if they do, he has the right to go back to Europe, but he doesn’t have to. That’s a completely different thing. It would be a completely different thing even if Shesterkin didn’t say he’d go.

Buchnevich had one of those clauses in his contract too. He didn’t bolt when he was asked to go down.

I think you are looking to deep into it. If his agent is able to get the Rangers to agree to it then why not put it in? It's always better to have options. Almost a zero % chance but what happens if Geo plays out of his mind next year, literally Vezina type stats, then Shest gets buried in the minors for 2 years? It's good to have but you're reading too much into it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Millions? The max salary in a full year for him in the NHL is $832,500

His KHL salary at the moment is similar
What about throwing away his chance of getting another NHL contract worth 3-4-5x his ELC? How about all the endorsements he's throwing away...NYC sure has a lot of those..Got to look beyond just his ELC...

All silly speculation away, he's not going back to Russia when he makes the NHL lol.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I think we are missing the big picture here. If he is as good as we think he is, as good as scouts say he is, than he is our goalie for the next, hopefully, decade.

He will be with the Rangers next season. I don't expect that he will spend any time in the AHL except for brief periods when the Rangers are not playing but the Wolfpack are and he needs the work.

How this is going to impact Geo and HL is not known and we will just have to see how it is going to work itself out. Geo has been great and we have all seen, in today's NHL, how goalies seem to come out of nowhere and become real high end players. But Shesty seems to be on a level above "goalies who come out of nowhere," doesn't he? From all we have read and seen of him, I expect nothing less of him.

So, all the discussion of him being in the "A" or going back to the KHL is, to me, moot. He is the goalie who will be in net when we return to serious contention in the next few years. His NHL career begins next season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
925k, not including performance bonuses.

The 925k includes a 10% signing bonus which he gets on July 1st and won't "give up" by activating his clause. THat's why I use $832,500 as the number since that's his base salary

What about throwing away his chance of getting another NHL contract worth 3-4-5x his ELC? How about all the endorsements he's throwing away...NYC sure has a lot of those..Got to look beyond just his ELC...

All silly speculation away, he's not going back to Russia when he makes the NHL lol.

An EAC is only for the season. The contract is not terminated. He would come back after the KHL season is over, for his 2nd ELC year

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The 925k includes a 10% signing bonus which he gets on July 1st and won't "give up" by activating his clause. THat's why I use $832,500 as the number since that's his base salary

It's still money paid to him for the season, but I see what you're saying. With performance bonuses he can go over 1 mil depending on how well he does. The odds of him making multiple millions in his 1st season are slim though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00