Confirmed with Link: NYR have Signed Igor Shesterkin and Vitali Kravtsov to ELCs (Confirmed by NYR)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's just annoying that the same behavior that people criticized AV for, seems to fly under the radar with Quinn. How were Vesey, Pionk and Howden (pre-injury) not held accountable for their bad games?

AV would scratch guys who were playing well to get his favorites in the lineup for the dumbest reasons.

There is a distinct difference in the way the 2 of them operate other than an inexplicably long leash for Staal. There is a large, large gap between allowing a pair of rookies and a third year player to take their lumps and dressing under performing veterans over better hockey players because "it's the right thing to do."

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Howden showed a ton of promise with his play last year. His issue is health.

I remember a poster who followed him closely in Junior saying durability, or lack thereof, will be his major issue in the pros.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
My issue is that guys like Pionk, Vesey, Howden got away with poor play for longer because they looked like they were putting in more effort. But it was still poor play and bad habits that needed corrrction, just because a guy is skating all over the ice doesn’t mean he’s doing much

That said he did limit vesey and pionks icetime later in the season because of their struggles. Don’t really remember howden

staal, marc. this guy played non stop regardless of his play

vesey same.

pionk dont even get me started

holden went thru stages of epic badness. i mean just really bad and always played

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
AV would scratch guys who were playing well to get his favorites in the lineup for the dumbest reasons.

There is a distinct difference in the way the 2 of them operate other than an inexplicably long leash for Staal. There is a large, large gap between allowing a pair of rookies and a third year player to take their lumps and dressing under performing veterans over better hockey players because "it's the right thing to do."

And Vesey

Bring Back Avery

Dec 29, 2012
Catasauqua, PA
So, I have an honest question. How difficult is it really for a goalie (Shesty) to make the switch from European sized ice to NA sized ice? I've never played goalie, but I wouldn't think it should be that different. I could see it being a challenge the other way around (from NA sized to Euro sized), but wouldn't think the angles would change as much since opponents would already be taking shots from those areas on the larger ice. Just wondering because, from what little I've seen of the prospects camp, he looks pretty good already.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

There's also the difference that this was Quinn's first year. If I start seeing the same approach in years two and three, then I'm going to have problem with Quinn like I did with AV. It wasn't until I saw AV's approach to Glass that the red flags started popping up.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
So, I have an honest question. How difficult is it really for a goalie (Shesty) to make the switch from European sized ice to NA sized ice? I've never played goalie, but I wouldn't think it should be that different. I could see it being a challenge the other way around (from NA sized to Euro sized), but wouldn't think the angles would change as much since opponents would already be taking shots from those areas on the larger ice. Just wondering because, from what little I've seen of the prospects camp, he looks pretty good already.

I remember reading an article before the Sochi olympics talking about the differences the NA goaltenders would face going to a larger sheet. It also spent some time talking about what it is like the other way when coming to the NHL.

It’s really more of a difference in changing mental tracking habits. For one thing, in NA you face less shots from the “extreme” angles (goal line, boards etc.) and more from the slot, so you have to be more cognizant of your glove and blocker position at all times. You also spend your whole International career establishing “mental marks” for shooting angles as you move laterally across your crease, because at a certain point, the angle is cut off period and any further just exposes the far-side of the net. Even though the mechanics are still technically the same, optically, the boards being closer can make goalies second guess or misread these marks, especially when trying to time hitting an angle at faster NA speeds.

The crux of the article was that it wasn’t really a big difference but goalies could get in trouble by over thinking their angles instead of just trusting their in-game instincts and adjusting to the pace of play.

Judging on how quickly Sherry adjusted between the first practice and the last scrimmage, I think he will be fine.

Bring Back Avery

Dec 29, 2012
Catasauqua, PA
I remember reading an article before the Sochi olympics talking about the differences the NA goaltenders would face going to a larger sheet. It also spent some time talking about what it is like the other way when coming to the NHL.

It’s really more of a difference in changing mental tracking habits. For one thing, in NA you face less shots from the “extreme” angles (goal line, boards etc.) and more from the slot, so you have to be more cognizant of your glove and blocker position at all times. You also spend your whole International career establishing “mental marks” for shooting angles as you move laterally across your crease, because at a certain point, the angle is cut off period and any further just exposes the far-side of the net. Even though the mechanics are still technically the same, optically, the boards being closer can make goalies second guess or misread these marks, especially when trying to time hitting an angle at faster NA speeds.

The crux of the article was that it wasn’t really a big difference but goalies could get in trouble by over thinking their angles instead of just trusting their in-game instincts and adjusting to the pace of play.

Judging on how quickly Sherry adjusted between the first practice and the last scrimmage, I think he will be fine.

That definitely makes sense. It's more of a mental thing. Of course, from what I understand, it usually is with goalies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I cant wait to see Kravtsov and Kakko battle it out for the Calder

Couldn't care less re Calder, as long as they play well.
Next season could be like this was, with full handful of deserving guys; then Calder is just a voter's crapshoot

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No it didn’t, unless you refuse to see things or see them objectively and realizing that it’s normal (actually good for them) that prospects get a shorter leash than vets.

Howden is a prospect and he had a much longer leash than Chytil. I’m not even a huge Chytil fan but it annoyed me that he was treated very differently compared to Howden who was awful in the weeks leading up to the injury even

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Howden is a prospect and he had a much longer leash than Chytil. I’m not even a huge Chytil fan but it annoyed me that he was treated very differently compared to Howden who was awful in the weeks leading up to the injury even

Howden TRIED to play the way he was asked, Chytil often (or sometimes) didn’t. And I’m a big Chytil’s fan.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Howden TRIED to play the way he was asked, Chytil often (or sometimes) didn’t. And I’m a big Chytil’s fan.

So it’s all about effort. That’s the issue. Howden should have been sent down to regain some confidence and play more minutes. But Howden is the new golden boy who can do no wrong. Because “he tries” just like Vesey

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
When Quinn was hired we heard all about how he took the time to cater to players specific needs in their development, can this not be what was happening throughout the season?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
So it’s all about effort. That’s the issue. Howden should have been sent down to regain some confidence and play more minutes. But Howden is the new golden boy who can do no wrong. Because “he tries” just like Vesey

Maybe we put different definition in a word “effort”. Yours implies simply skating hard which is far for what I meant when I said trying to do what coaches asked for.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Quinn did say that there are some things that are non-negotiable. He definitely has an idea of what the right way to play and what intentions the player has leading up to a specific result. That is, what I believe, you saw happen over the course of the season.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

I think that's fair.

Let's remember, Chytil was buried on a trash can fourth line for the better part of his time. He was playing 8-9 minutes per night in October, finally bumped to 15 min in November. The result? 5 goals in 5 games (including 2 Islander matchups). Later in the season, playing time decreased from January to February.

Play him.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The games are part of a story,there's practice and off ice components as well. We see 1/3rd of the story.

Staal wasn't good but he didn't do the stupid shit that Smth did to get benched, awful penalties and what not. I think Staal stinks but what alternative did they have.

Quinn may have made it look like he didn't bench some guys that had stagnant games. Again we don't know the full story. Those guys may have been working their tail off in practice. They certainly had their time and or place in the pecking order decreased if they were not benched (Vesey).

Secondly, if they were benched they were given clear and specific reasons why and clear communication as to how to get back in the lineup. Here's the shocker for those whining about the benching (hi AK I am waving and pointing ) the players benched layer much better afterwards and for the most part weren't benched again.

I am sorry but comparing Quinn to AV makes my head hurt. One was an obnoxious gum chewing mumbling douchebag that arbitrarily benched better players, the other takes the time to try and make the players he coaches better and communicates clearly, there's nothing arbitrary.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The games are part of a story,there's practice and off ice components as well. We see 1/3rd of the story.

Staal wasn't good but he didn't do the stupid **** that Smth did to get benched, awful penalties and what not. I think Staal stinks but what alternative did they have.

Quinn may have made it look like he didn't bench some guys that had stagnant games. Again we don't know the full story. Those guys may have been working their tail off in practice. They certainly had their time and or place in the pecking order decreased if they were not benched (Vesey).

I am sorry but comparing Quinn to AV makes my head hurt. One was an obnoxious gum chewing mumbling *****ebag that arbitrarily benched better players, the other takes the time to try and make the players he coaches better and communicates clearly, there's nothing arbitrary.

I would say that it was a lack of roster depth... which if you were slotting the lineup today, you have a deeper team, but an unproven group of players. Given that's the case, I would say that I expect a lot of internal competition for those minutes.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad