Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] G Jonathan Quick signs with the Rangers (1 year, $825k)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He does not because assuming this will last the season is foolish.
Yeah I don’t think he’d be playing this well if he were the starter. That’s a little crazy.

Yes, he’s well exceeded expectations for many who thought he was done (I certainly did) but adjusted for higher scoring/lower save percentage this would be maybe the best season of his career if he played at this level as starter. Or it would be after 11-12.

Is he really gonna be good enough to have close to a career year at 37 years old while playing 45-50 games?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
90% of the NYR board wanted him waived during camp
I still noticed the remnants of his old game during the preseason.

It’s gonna take a while to completely change the way you’ve been playing for 20+ years. I think it’s mostly been eliminated in the regular season.

I still notice a few moments here and there, but Quick at the end of 2023 is a much different goalie than the Quick that started the 2023 calendar year.

It’s fascinating how quick (no pun intended) he cleaned up his game.

I was the biggest mouth laughing at this signing and said the Rangers are f***ed if Shesterkin got hurt for long.

I clearly didn’t even think a 37 year old player could completely change their game.

Most of the credit goes to the player, but I don’t think many goalie coaches not named Benoit Allaire could have helped make this possible.

Which is why I still don’t agree with the sentiment that this team or that team should have signed him. Like the Devils lol. Our goalie coach(es) f***ing suck and is beyond useless.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I agree that guys like that getting signed is also a joke.

But I'm starting to understand it more and more now. The goalie position in the league is extremely barren and depleted. I mean the talent at the position.

There's about 7 or 8 (give or take, maybe even more) career minor league goalies, some of who are 30-something years old, who are signed this year to be NHL goalies and have full time roster spots. That's how depleted the position is right now. Then you got stupid contracts given out to goalies who have mostly been bad their entire career, just because they came off a hot up year (Korpisalo) and that's probably another symptom of what I'm talking about.

So I understand Halak and Elliott still getting deals (they didn't this year), but I also was questioning at why this is.

Goalies also have inflated reputations and it's hard to lose those reputations. I'm sure teams will be lining up to sign Fleury this coming offseason (if he chooses to continue to play) despite the fact that he doesn't look like he should really play for another year.
I both agree and disagree with you lol. Career 1Bs like Elliott and Halak had no buisness lasting as long as they did, you're right. I also agree about flash in the pan types like Korpisalo and Merzlikins not being worth the money they're getting.

But guys like Quick and Fleury, who were one time the best of the best, deservedly get longer leashes, and they both look good this year.

I agree that the position appears to be depleted, but I think there's a lot of talent in the minors that never gets a fair look because coaches/GMs are so obsessed with their "proven" NHL guys. I think there's a lot of Binningtons in the AHL right now that if given a fair chance could find sucess in the NHL. Look at Woll in Toronto. Or Pickard getting called up and playing decent enough in Edmonton. Or Copley in LA.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
well at least "the scenario that no HFB poster with the typical recency bias, and tendency to underestimate players, could have predicted happens"
4 seasons of data is "recency bias" and 11 games is "he is great and I knew it all along". Brilliant.

Reactions: cwede

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I both agree and disagree with you lol. Career 1Bs like Elliott and Halak had no buisness lasting as long as they did, you're right. I also agree about flash in the pan types like Korpisalo and Merzlikins not being worth the money they're getting.

But guys like Quick and Fleury, who were one time the best of the best, deservedly get longer leashes, and they both look good this year.

I agree that the position appears to be depleted, but I think there's a lot of talent in the minors that never gets a fair look because coaches/GMs are so obsessed with their "proven" NHL guys. I think there's a lot of Binningtons in the AHL right now that if given a fair chance could find sucess in the NHL. Look at Woll in Toronto. Or Pickard getting called up and playing decent enough in Edmonton. Or Copley in LA.
You lost me at Fleury looks good this year. If Fleury has been good, who hasn't been good?

And since Hynes took over, he's not playing him nearly as much as Evason was, which is absolutely the right call.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Ill eat my crow here. I thought quick was done. He looked done last year. He looks much younger in his movement now.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The thing that I don't get is how people can call this signing a joke (even before hindsight) when guys like Halak and Elliott continued to get contracts despite being far more dead than Quick looked in LA. And those two, in the primes of their careers, were 1Bs at best. So if career backups can get 17th chances while approaching 40, why shouldn't Quick? He'd earned much more runway than those 2 ever did
Disagree on halak being far more cooked. Halaks numbers have been hovering at just below league average. He isnt his prime excellent 1b option but hes been a perfectly reasonable backup. Brain elliot yes as his game looked to be dropping ever since he left st louis although he did have an okay year 2 years ago which was kinda surprising albeit in short sample size.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Quick grew up a Rangers fan (Hamden, CT is right on the borderline of the NYC/BOS sports rivarly that exists in CT). I’m not surprised he’s had a resurgence. I don’t think anyone expected him to play this good but if you’re NYR you take it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

After all, this guy has won Cups and has been there and back. He has the experience.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Attachments

• IMG_7854.gif
    IMG_7854.gif
    150.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TGWL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad