Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] G Jonathan Quick signs with the Rangers (1 year, $825k)

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Quick doesn't have the ability to play the position anymore. He's literally worse right now than Brodeur was by the time he had to play for the Blues. Actually, forget even that. Quick right now is worse than Marty Biron was in 2013.

I almost feel bad for Rangers fans. This is the kind of signing that could derail their season if Igor misses anything close to significant time. Unless they plan to start Igor 65-70 games (which I don't think that's the plan) this is a BAD signing.

Quick is absolutely terrible and washed up.

I guess if he's bad enough, they'll turn it over to their third string goalie in Hartford or whatever prospect they have, who is almost assuredly better than Quick.

This may turn out like Biron in 2013, which is how Cam Talbot made it into the league. Another one that comes to mind is Nabokov when he signed in Tampa, which is how Vasilevskiy came into the league.

I remember him playing a game at MSG later this year, and I think he only lasted part of 2 periods before he was pulled. And I swear he allowed like 4 goals (maybe even 5?) on possibly even single digits in shots faced. If I'm not mistaken, this was his last game as a King and he was traded just a few nights later.
I’ll have to overreaction. Hell, make it a double.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's a decent deal but the problem is that you expect a back up to still play a fair portion. Quick has looked really bad

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Seems to be more of a favor for Quick to retire on a team that had Richter his child hood favorite player and someone he molded his game after. Good on Quick he deserves it, but man he is toast.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Quick checks another one off the career bucket list. He's competitive and a great locker room guy even if he's washed up on the ice. For 800k, there won't be much to complain about, honestly, and the Rangers at least have a defense.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get Wheeler... I don't get this.

Quick is done.
It's not complicated. We needed a cheap goalie.

People said similar things about Halak last year. He went 10-9-5 with a 2.72 gaa and .903 sv%, which is perfectly fine for a backup goalie.

Playing less games and working with Benoit will help.

Reactions: Kendo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Doubt we would have been able to grab Halak at that cost.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
not sure why anyone wouldn't like this....coming to childhood team with the history and experience he has knowing his role should be good for igor....should be plenty motivated and gets to work with benoit allaire...cheap deal. what's not to like?

if he's got absolutely nothing left and is absolutely horrific rangers have some in house stop gaps and it's not exactly impossible to source a serviceable backup.

now should igor miss any significant time rangers are prob dead anyway. would he be the ideal option to try and hold the fort in that case? no, prob not. but it's not like there was a realistic move to bring in a backup that could effectively do that. if anything that kinda disaster scenario is probably best served with a terrible backup that puts them near the top of the draft rather than a just outside the playoff finish or first round exit type team.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Quick showed in Vegas he's good when he's well rested. He's just not the horse LA needed him to be
His sv% and gaa with Vegas were still worse than league average behind a team defense that propped up goalies like adin hill and Laurent Brossoit to .915 and .927 sv%. He still got a few wins but he wasn't good and rangers team defense isn't vegas.

And he actually played worse for LA AFTER he got benched for Copley. He was mediocre for the first month.and was terrible the rest of the time after Copley emerged so that's a false narrative.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA

Quick can still be good if you give him a couple of weeks between games to rest up. So, basically, two games per month for six months; that's a dozen for $825K which post-tax should cover his cost-of-living in NYC during this time and probably leave him with about $100,000 extra.

OK

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3