Confirmed Trade: [NYR/FLA] Frank Vatrano for 2022 4th round pick

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Can he be a Top 9 center on a team that wants to go deep?
Does he bring the size that GMs covet?
Will the coach trust him defensively?
Is he producing at a noteworthy clip?

If the answer to all of the above is no, the player is an undersized, offensive winger having a meh year. That's not a rental teams will pay much of a price for.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

If the answer to all of the above is no, the player is an undersized, offensive winger having a meh year. That's not a rental teams will pay much of a price for.
Rangers have another $29.2m in deadline cap space, so I doubt this is the only move they’re making.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Most of us loved Frankie. But he's declined in his role for us. I'm sure he'll do great in NYR. I'll also add that her tends to take stupid offensive zone penalties
Well Strome needs a pal in the penalty box to keep him company so why not?

Reactions: Unpredictable1

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
As a Penguins fan, I don't mind this. This weakens Flordia and it doesn't strengthen the Rangers to a worrisome extent.
Good, don't worry about the 2nd place team in your division improving when you root for the 3rd place team in the division. Makes total sense.

This was the lineup that they faced when the Pens won 1-0 at home:

Vatrano is better than 6 of the guys on that lineup. They just played yesterday with Johnny Brodzinski on the 3rd line. Hunt is still on the 2nd line.

Rangers got space and aren't done.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Good, don't worry about the 2nd place team in your division improving when you root for the 3rd place team in the division. Makes total sense.

Vatrano is better than 6 of the guys on that lineup. They just played yesterday with Johnny Brodzinski on the 3rd line. Hunt is still on the 2nd line.

Frankie on that second line could be nice

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Seems like awfully narrow parameters to judge a move.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I based that on the game we played recently. I liked the Penguins game against the Rangers quite a bit and adding Vatrano doesn't concern me. Guess we'll see.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Frankie on that second line could be nice
I hope that is where he is until Kakko comes back. He's also good insurance if you need to switch things up in the future and add him onto that line.

Right now, Hunt flubs half the shots Strome and Panarin hit him with. Vatrano is going to bury those passes way more often.

GL on getting Giroux or whoever you're targeting. Unless somehow both teams meet in the playoffs, Florida is the team I want to see do a ton of damage. Very fun team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably a move for Giroux/Chychrun from Florida's end. I think they only take Giroux if Chychrun doesn't end up in Florida.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
love this pickup for a 4th. not a game changer by any means but the kind of player we need. might actually jump in nicely for hunt, but upgrades the bottom 6 if not. perfect value pickup. fla obv really vaues the cap space, hope giroux ends up there

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Seems like awfully narrow parameters to judge a move.

I'm not judging the move from either perspective.

A couple comments on the prior page indicated that it seemed like a cheap price. Unless Vatrano is a different player than I perceive (I could be wrong), I don't see it as out of line given the player type.

Last edited:

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Bye, Tanklin, it was a fun ride.

Depending on how you count it, Vatrano was the fifth longest tenured Panther. Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad, and Weegar came before him, and Tippett/Mamin both debuted as Panthers in Fall 2017 (Vatrano was acquired around the 2017-18 deadline), both of those guys went back to their development teams for several years before coming back. Vatrano has been part of the roster for a full four years.

I'll give my NY bros a scouting report:

Pros
  • Great straight-line speed
  • Gives 110% like 90% of the time
  • Physical along the boards
  • Absolute rifle of a snap shot and slap shot
  • Has a long stick and poke-checks the point-man well
  • Is effective on both the LW/RW
  • Is an overtime beast (at least in 3v3)
  • Teammates adored him
Cons
  • Some of the worst tunnel vision I've ever seen
  • Can't complete a pass
  • Makes his linemates worse
  • If he isn't scoring, he's doing absolutely nothing
  • Can be careless and is prone to stick penalties
The Skinny
  • Frank is the quintessential north-south player. He's fast, he's physical, and he can snipe with the best of them. When he's on a hot streak, you can plug him in as the third wheel in any of the eight wing spots. When he's not hot, he's still a useful fourth liner with significant finishing capabilities and is a good option for the PP2 and 3v3 OT. Unfortunately, his inability to compliment his linemates and his proclivity for penalties means that this guy who can produce like a middle 6er really belongs on the fourth line with the energy players.

noo

May 10, 2021
When they say "lower of the 2 picks" does that mean the better one or worse?

Say it's picks #40 & #50, which one do they get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad