Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Filip Chytil signs extension with the Rangers (2 years, $2.3M AAV)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It doesn't say that at all.

No it doesn't, lol.

The Rangers are coming up on an astronomically difficult cap situation. This is the exact moment when you take a chance.

If you think Chytil is a part of the long term plan, you’re also betting Lafreniere and Kakko don’t break out, Fox takes a historical discount, the and the Rangers avoid acquiring another true top 6 center.

If those things all happen, as I predict they will, the talent coming out of bridges won’t fit. He’s either gone or it’s a bad GM move to not take the chance to make him a realistic part of the future.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers are coming up on an astronomically difficult cap situation. For non premier players, this is the exact moment when you take a chance. If you think Chytil is a part of the long term plan, you’re also betting Lafreniere and Kakko don’t break out, Fox takes a historical discount, the and the Rangers avoid acquiring another true top 6 center. If those things all happen, as I predict they will, the talent coming out of bridges won’t fit. He’s either gone or it’s a bad GM move to not take the chance to make him a realistic part of the future.

The Rangers have to pay Fox and Mika next year. Chytil at 4 mil makes that more difficult. Shesty is going to get a long term deal, at least 4 years. We can't afford to give them both long term deals. It's as simple as that.

If Chytil doesn't take a step forward, doesn't prove to be a center and/or gets passed by Kakko, Laf, Kravtsov, then maybe he shouldn't be in the long term plans. But we won't know that until it happens. As of now, the 2 year term says nothing about their plans for Chytil beyond wanting to keep his cap hit low, or Chytil wanting a shorter term deal so he can make more later.

Reactions: haveandare

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The Rangers have to pay Fox and Mika next year. Chytil at 4 mil makes that more difficult. Shesty is going to get a long term deal, at least 4 years. We can't afford to give them both long term deals. It's as simple as that.

If Chytil doesn't take a step forward, doesn't prove to be a center and/or gets passed by Kakko, Laf, Kravtsov, then maybe he shouldn't be in the long term plans. But we won't know that until it happens. As of now, the 2 year term says nothing about their plans for Chytil beyond wanting to keep his cap hit low, or Chytil wanting a shorter term deal so he can make more later.

I just don’t see Chytil being the piece they spend their money with so much to be allocated or will be allocated to Zibanejad, Fox, Shesterkin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller… on top of anchor contracts in Trouba/Kreider.

I stick by my statement that he’s either on the move or the deal is short sighted. You can find other ways to make 4M fit next year. The real trouble arrives in Lafreniere’s extension year.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This essentially says Chytil is not a part of the long term plan, just like Pavel.
No. It shows the rangers are dumb and allergic to pay their young players, yet they’ll throw the entirety of their chase bank advertisement money at an aging star

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No. It shows the rangers are dumb and allergic to pay their young players, yet they’ll throw the entirety of their chase bank advertisement money at an aging star
What are we supposed to pay him long term right now? What makes you think Chytil wants a long term deal at a discount rate to get him signed? Just because a team wants to lock-up a young asset long term doesn't mean the player is accepting the deal.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What are we supposed to pay him long term right now? What makes you think Chytil wants a long term deal at a discount rate to get him signed? Just because a team wants to lock-up a young asset long term doesn't mean the player is accepting the deal.
I doubt he turns down 6 years at 5M AAV

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Given the contract to Dvorak, I think it would have taken around 4.5M x 6 for any long term deal to be considered.

Chytil as much as I like him may not even command a 4.5M cap hit in two years, maybe not even in 6 years, or ever.

Half the Ranger fan bases seems to think Danault would have been a better center option than Chytil, he just signed for 5.5m x 6 as a pure on the market UFA.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

I agree with everything you said…

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I just don’t see Chytil being the piece they spend their money with so much to be allocated or will be allocated to Zibanejad, Fox, Shesterkin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller… on top of anchor contracts in Trouba/Kreider.

I stick by my statement that he’s either on the move or the deal is short sighted. You can find other ways to make 4M fit next year. The real trouble arrives in Lafreniere’s extension year.

The Rangers have historically been stingy with giving out long term deals to RFAs. They've only done it a few times in semi-recent memory, and it's almost always with defensemen. The VAST majority of players get bridged. It's an organizational philosophy (so much so that we're not even 100% sure that Fox won't get bridged. Fairly certain he won't, because of how good he already is, but it isn't certain). I'm about as high on Chytil as you can get, but he hasn't shown enough to break through the "non-bridge" barrier.

Also, four things to note:
1- Of the six players you listed, only one was a center. Chytil isn't competing with all of those guys.

2- Unless Kakko absolutely explodes this year (and possibly even if he does), he's not likely to get any bigger of a deal than Chytil's.

3- I don't see Miller ever really being a huge earner. He's a 2-way D, but his value here is on his defense, not his offense. With Jones and Lundkvist in the fold, I'd be shocked if Miller sees much, if any PP time moving forward. That should keep his price down.

4- In 2 years (ie: when Chytil will be due for another contract), I could see both Kreider and Trouba on the move and replaced with internal options (Cuylle/Othmann and Schneider, respectively).

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
And it behooves Chytil to bet on himself and sign a bridge deal and then cash in for larger long term deal in 2 years.

And if he continues his trajectory, in two years he'll be worth the raise.

Kid looked A+ last year before he hurt his hand. He is an athlete 100%. Good hockey frame. So far, year over year he is progressing. People forget he came in while a teen. He's still years from his peak.

Reactions: haveandare

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I think it's hilarious that Chytil is making less than Goodrow but will probably double him in points

It’s not like the Rangers are struggling to produce and need supplemental scoring, they’ve had more than a handful of the top-scoring players in the league over the last two seasons. Dimension in the middle/bottom-six was and has been the major issue with the construction of the Rangers. Honestly, If anything, Chytil is underpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad