Proposal: NYR-EDM

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Confidence. And the aspects of the game other than points. He has 11 hits in the past 5 games, lots of those crushing ones. When he has the puck, he can carry it through the neutral zone right into the offensive zone. He has set up multiple plays, but lack of finish from Colby Cave and Kyle Brodziak has kept him off of the score sheet. He also has no pp time whatsoever. He is also the best forechecker on the team, and one of the best backcheckers. He is also the second fastest player on the team.

That’s great, still not enough to convince me or anyone otherwise. Until he really starts to do something, I’d pass on him as anything more than a throw in. I don’t trust him at all.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Kudos to the OP, it's an interesting one. Poolparty has so much potential. 20 years old he still has a lot of time to grow as a player, and I think he will.

Aside from the fact they can bring back some draft picks, no NY fans should have an issue with trading Nam and Vesey given the state of our roster. Giving up ADA is another story as he too still has loads of potential at 23. But, you have to give to get. The issue is really Sekera. After this year NY will try to shed the rebuilding label and I honestly don't see them taking on a contract like this unless they move one of our bad contracts, like Smith.

Ultimately, I think both teams decline. Oilers aren't giving up on the Pool and the Rangers will not take on the Sekera contract.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
1 Sekera does not have 3 years left .

I see you are counting Manning as 2 years as well so you must be counting what amounts to a little more then a 1/4 of a season as a year to make your proposal look better .

I would probably do this trade if you would retain a little on Namestikov 30% ?

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a Ranger fan. Either way, the proposal already favors Edmonton. The Rangers have zero use for Sekera or Manning and aren't giving up Namestnikov, Vesey and ADA in the hopes that Pulju can actually live up to his draft status.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The basis of this trade is that Names and Vesey are not part of our core rebuild but they are a vast improvement to Edm dumpster fire of a bottom 6. Getting a 20 yr old “reclamation project” with top 5 pedigree is more valuable that mid round picks for those players. Also NYR need to start tanking and opening up bottom 6 roster spots to younger players for evaluation.

Manning and Sekera wouldn't be part of the core rebuild either. Pulju's value isn't that high that we are going to take those 2 contracts in addition to giving you quality assets.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How about:

Manning + Kassian + Puljujaarvi for Namestnikov + McLeod
($2.25m) + ($1.95m) + (.925m) = ($4m) + (.75 - buried - not accounted for)
$5.125m = $4m

Edmonton saves just over $1m on the cap and adds Namestnikov

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a Ranger fan. Either way, the proposal already favors Edmonton. The Rangers have zero use for Sekera or Manning and aren't giving up Namestnikov, Vesey and ADA in the hopes that Pulju can actually live up to his draft status.

I am a NYR fan. It was almost impossible to create a proposal based on how bad EDM cap situation is. In hindsight ADA was too much value in the original deal I proposed. I needed to add salary back and am really interested in shedding Both Vesey and Names. Outside of Puj any asset we take back is not part of our core rebuild and players we most likely flip for lower picks. The last trade isn’t terrible and neither side is moving an asset with more term than next year on the books. If we can turn Vesey/Names into Puj that’s a win for both sides

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
With all due respect, this sounds like an enormous amount of fluff. You can use whatever stats or observations you want. The fact of the matter is, when you're a former 4th overall pick (a highly touted one as I keep being reminded by Edmonton fans) that comes with a certain level of expectations built in. Those expectations do not include crushing hits. While there are aspects of the game other than points, Puljujarvi wasn't drafted to be a two way, 30 point, bone crushing third line forward.

I'm not saying that he hasn't been a dissapointment so far, I was just saying that he has shown improvement as of late.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I read the first 25 replies and I honestly can't figure out for the life of me why either team would want to make this deal.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
With all due respect, this sounds like an enormous amount of fluff. You can use whatever stats or observations you want. The fact of the matter is, when you're a former 4th overall pick (a highly touted one as I keep being reminded by Edmonton fans) that comes with a certain level of expectations built in. Those expectations do not include crushing hits. While there are aspects of the game other than points, Puljujarvi wasn't drafted to be a two way, 30 point, bone crushing third line forward.

I agree 100%, counting hits, rather than points scored for a former 4OA seems like picking at scraps and calling it gourmet. Again, not trying to insult Edm. fanbase, but this guy doesn't have much value at this point. He likely should have been traded months ago when people still had the illusion he was a good young player.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not saying that he hasn't been a dissapointment so far, I was just saying that he has shown improvement as of late.

We know that, but what you’ve said is nothing more than fluff in an attempt to changed perceived value.

I have a very hard time seeing an opposing GM valuing him even in the same stratosphere as his draft status would have dictated.

reaktorblue

Jul 16, 2007
Unless taking on bad contracts is part of the rebuild, I don't really see the incentive for NYR.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)
Manning([email protected])
Sekera(3 [email protected](30% retained)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

Why NYR does this. Vesey and Namestinkov are not part of the long term plans in NY. They are NHL players but middling assets on short term deals. We can take 2 bad contracts back from Edmoton and retain and flip Manning for a late pick at the deadline. The deal is really to get Puljunarvi without giving up our top tradable assets at the deadline, and freeing up roster spots for our youth and tanking down the stretch.

Why Edm does this. Instantly improves their middle 6 with NHL caliber players and improves their team speed a bit. It gets them out of 2 bad contracts and opens up a roster spot for Klefbom when he comes

The first statement is somewhat inaccurate. At least with Vesey. The fanbase isn't particularly thrilled with him. Quinn however loves the guy as does Gorton. Not like he is untouchable, however they do very much like Vesey game.

Also, ADA has made a ton of progress. Currently he is already showing he is more suited for a larger role then players ahead of him on the depth chart and that includes #22. Trading him in a deal that brings back 2 LD is really overloading the left side. Sekera is on the books for 2 more seasons after this. That hit if 30% retained is still $3,850,000. Makes it a little easier to swallow but for the NYR's that would be a total of $25 mil on a defense corp of 5 (not included Manning) with little room to get the prospect depth integrated. (Lindgren, Miller, Hajek) all getting close, and hampered by players already here.

Like you mentioned however this is a deal for #98. Gotta give to get. You are buying low as is due to lack of Puljujarvi's production at the professional level. He is only 20 still.

What if Namestnikov was removed from the deal, replace him with Shatty maybe 30% retained and toss in a Rangers prospect? Maybe Gilmour, Gropp or Gettinger?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He does not play with either McDavid or Draisaitl . He been stapled on the 3rd line with a few minutes in the top 6 sprinkle in . Lets compare players . Names at 4 million VS Puljujarvi at less then 1 with his skill and potential . To me Names is a cap dump .

I wouldnt argue that Namestnikov is not a cap dump.

I prefer him to the Pool guy.

Reactions: slg1963

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Confidence. And the aspects of the game other than points. He has 11 hits in the past 5 games, lots of those crushing ones. When he has the puck, he can carry it through the neutral zone right into the offensive zone. He has set up multiple plays, but lack of finish from Colby Cave and Kyle Brodziak has kept him off of the score sheet. He also has no pp time whatsoever. He is also the best forechecker on the team, and one of the best backcheckers. He is also the second fastest player on the team.

So does Namesnikov. 11 hits 5 games and has thrown some good ones.

I think Puljujarvi can still develop into a much better player, and I would take a chance, but I don't want to give up DeAngelo here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How about:

Manning + Kassian + Puljujaarvi for Namestnikov + McLeod
($2.25m) + ($1.95m) + (.925m) = ($4m) + (.75 - buried - not accounted for)
$5.125m = $4m

Edmonton saves just over $1m on the cap and adds Namestnikov

This doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)
Manning([email protected])
Sekera(3 [email protected](30% retained)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

Why NYR does this. Vesey and Namestinkov are not part of the long term plans in NY. They are NHL players but middling assets on short term deals. We can take 2 bad contracts back from Edmoton and retain and flip Manning for a late pick at the deadline. The deal is really to get Puljunarvi without giving up our top tradable assets at the deadline, and freeing up roster spots for our youth and tanking down the stretch.

Why Edm does this. Instantly improves their middle 6 with NHL caliber players and improves their team speed a bit. It gets them out of 2 bad contracts and opens up a roster spot for Klefbom when he comes
I’d do Poolparty and a 3rd for Vesey and Names. Forget the other pieces.

Reactions: slg1963 and Kendo

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The NYR have a few nice pieces . That also could help the Oilers . I was going to start a thread but I will just make a counter offer .

NYR gets Draisaitl + Lucic + 2019 1st top 5 protected
Edmonton gets Zibanejad + Kreider

NYR gets a young C/W plus a nice first round pick . Lucic is a cap dump and won't have many years left once NYR are ready to compete

Oiler fans won't like the thoughts of giving up Draisaitl but we get back a RC and a big winger and lose some cap which will let the new GM shop for another piece . Maybe bring back Maroon cheap on a 3 year deal

Maroon/Kreider McDavid Zibanejad
RNH Zibanejad Puljujarvi

Opens up lots of option

Picks and prospect can be added to balance out the trade

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I wouldnt argue that Namestnikov is not a cap dump.

I prefer him to the Pool guy.

I guess I am going by bang for your buck . Everyone call Puljujarvi a bust with 9 points and your 4 million guy got 16 points . Dollar for dollar Pujujarvi is out producing him . He would need to have 4 times the point to be =

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The NYR have a few nice pieces . That also could help the Oilers . I was going to start a thread but I will just make a counter offer .

NYR gets Draisaitl + Lucic + 2019 1st top 5 protected
Edmonton gets Zibanejad + Kreider

NYR gets a young C/W plus a nice first round pick . Lucic is a cap dump and won't have many years left once NYR are ready to compete

Oiler fans won't like the thoughts of giving up Draisaitl but we get back a RC and a big winger and lose some cap which will let the new GM shop for another piece . Maybe bring back Maroon cheap on a 3 year deal

Maroon/Kreider McDavid Zibanejad
RNH Zibanejad Puljujarvi

Opens up lots of option

Picks and prospect can be added to balance out the trade

This is tough, but I'd probably pull the trigger on it despite going back and forth with this. We're probably losing Hayes, and Zucc, along with Kreider, and Zibanejad. That's going to set us back, but we'll be having a lot of ELC contracts to offset the cap for Lucic.

I honest don't see Buchnevich apart of our long term plans. Our top 6 is now basically just Leon. If Rangers were able to land Panarin I might not do this deal.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Cool a trade that makes sense for neither team.

EDM getting more depth guys and NYR getting some older guys, then swapping 2 high risk prospects on their last hope.

Really makes a lot of sense :sarcasm:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is tough, but I'd probably pull the trigger on it despite going back and forth with this. We're probably losing Hayes, and Zucc, along with Kreider, and Zibanejad. That's going to set us back, but we'll be having a lot of ELC contracts to offset the cap for Lucic.

I honest don't see Buchnevich apart of our long term plans. Our top 6 is now basically just Leon. If Rangers were able to land Panarin I might not do this deal.

I am not sure we have the pieces to include Names . NYR fans probably values him base on his pass . Acquiring teams probably want to buy low on him . Even if we agree to a reasonable price we would need to dump cap and their no way the NYR are selling low and taking cap dumps . If we could make the cap work I would probably put Yamamoto into the deal and you could put Names in

So the deal would look like

To NYR Draisaitl + Lucic +Yamamoto + 2019 first top 5 protected . I like to add a 1 year cap dump but I understand if you say know as Lucic is a big one

To Edmonton Zibanejad + Kreider + Names

I hate to give up Draisaitl but I believe this makes Edmonton a better team with more depth going forward , Cap is close and We add a nice RC 2 wingers . NYR can build a 1st line around Draisaitl

Edit sorry for some reason I had Names in my head . He could be switched out for Buchnevich

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i want more youth than just Pool,
to take Sekera and Manning deals away from Oil's Cap Hell
and provide back reasonably priced younger talent
Maksimov or Bear, and maybe a long view, long shot like Kesselring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad