Proposal: NYR-EDM

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)
Manning([email protected])
Sekera(3 [email protected](30% retained)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

Why NYR does this. Vesey and Namestinkov are not part of the long term plans in NY. They are NHL players but middling assets on short term deals. We can take 2 bad contracts back from Edmoton and retain and flip Manning for a late pick at the deadline. The deal is really to get Puljunarvi without giving up our top tradable assets at the deadline, and freeing up roster spots for our youth and tanking down the stretch.

Why Edm does this. Instantly improves their middle 6 with NHL caliber players and improves their team speed a bit. It gets them out of 2 bad contracts and opens up a roster spot for Klefbom when he comes

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

Why NYR does this. Vesey and Namestinkov are not part of the long term plans in NY. They are NHL players but middling assets on short term deals. We can take 2 bad contracts back from Edmoton and retain and flip Manning for a late pick at the deadline. The deal is really to get Puljunarvi without giving up our top tradable assets at the deadline, and freeing up roster spots for our youth and tanking down the stretch.

Why Edm does this. Instantly improves their middle 6 with NHL caliber players and improves their team speed a bit. It gets them out of 2 bad contracts and opens up a roster spot for Klefbom when he comes
Rangers pass.

Mainly because of ADA.

And **** Sekeras contract. And the more I watch from Pool, the less he impresses me.

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
I was assuming that a 20 yr old top 5 pick still is salvageable and worth acquiring given our rebuild timeline. Vesey and Namestinkov are upgrades to you and expendable to us. If other NYR fans think DeANgelo is too much going back I think there is still basis to the trade.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’d do it in a heartbeat. We’ll see what Sekera looks like now, but unless he comes back at 100% it seems like we need to be giving up more

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

Def would crowd the LH side of the rangers defense so unless something like smith being sent down and skjei being traded Idk how this would really fit but def open to it , although not sure about parting with Deangelo

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Sure

Taking Namestnikov out only makes it better for us. We'd much rather have the cap space than be spending 4m on a 3rd liner.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Rangers pass.

Mainly because of ADA.

And **** Sekeras contract. And the more I watch from Pool, the less he impresses me.
Then you definitely don't watch Puljujarvi. He has been wayy better tha past couple months.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Then you definitely don't watch Puljujarvi. He has been wayy better tha past couple months.

Better than what??......... he has 9pts on the season and is pretty much where he has been in previous seasons.
Has he really shown improvement or development and how can you tell?

Reactions: Kupo

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Better than what??......... he has 9pts on the season and is pretty much where he has been in previous seasons.
Edmonton isn't the best place for developing young players...

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Confidence. And the aspects of the game other than points. He has 11 hits in the past 5 games, lots of those crushing ones. When he has the puck, he can carry it through the neutral zone right into the offensive zone. He has set up multiple plays, but lack of finish from Colby Cave and Kyle Brodziak has kept him off of the score sheet. He also has no pp time whatsoever. He is also the best forechecker on the team, and one of the best backcheckers. He is also the second fastest player on the team.

Reactions: TFHockey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NY needs to thin it's F depth to get to it's youngest core.
We can move Namest
Vesey I am a bit less quick to give the heave-ho, but we are not married to him.
DeAngelo is much improved, but is not untouchable.
We wanna lose for Hughes, and swapping out DeA to see where Bigras is at serves our purpose.

However, what is the exact best possible combo of pieces requires thought.

I agree POSSIBLY something is here, but it needs to be thought through.
Will review and comment after 2 days of seeing what develops here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’d do it in a heartbeat. We’ll see what Sekera looks like now, but unless he comes back at 100% it seems like we need to be giving up more

Sekera can serve our purposes if he remains LTIR and he only costs us $, not cap.
And I don't begrudge you some variation of Names. and/or DeA, e.g.

However, in lieu of Sekera 30% retained, what we are hoping to do is move Smith, which is a counterpart lefty shooting backliner who plays RD more typically.
That would give you a 7th D who can actually suit up and, while uneven, still generates toughness reliably compared to a guy who was once, if not a stud, certainly a star, but now is too badly beat up to be productive, possibly to play at all.
Yes, yes, we can talk about developing a mutual backscratch a bit further and what that entails.
But if I remember Sekera is 5.5 cap and Smith 4.35, same term.
That is 1.15 or so cap savings per year.
Sekera has nmc but Rangers have rep as a 1st class organization for stuff like this. If his career can be resurrected and he's game, he'll get a good shot; if not, they will work with him and he may have better options post career in NY.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
No interest in pool guy unless it's for a late 2nd round pick which is quickly deteriorating in to a 3rd round pick.

If this kid cant show anything playing with the likes of McDavid and or Leon, then what are you expecting him to do with the lesser talent the Rangers have?

I'm not parting with anything of significance for that risk.

Pass on the pool guy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
NYR
Puljujarvi(rfa@925k ELC)

EDM
Namestikov(2y@4m)
Vesey([email protected])
DeAngelo(1yr@865 RFA)

1 Sekera does not have 3 years left .

I see you are counting Manning as 2 years as well so you must be counting what amounts to a little more then a 1/4 of a season as a year to make your proposal look better .

I would probably do this trade if you would retain a little on Namestikov 30% ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No interest in pool guy unless it's for a late 2nd round pick which is quickly deteriorating in to a 3rd round pick.

If this kid cant show anything playing with the likes of McDavid and or Leon, then what are you expecting him to do with the lesser talent the Rangers have?

I'm not parting with anything of significance for that risk.

Pass on the pool guy

He does not play with either McDavid or Draisaitl . He been stapled on the 3rd line with a few minutes in the top 6 sprinkle in . Lets compare players . Names at 4 million VS Puljujarvi at less then 1 with his skill and potential . To me Names is a cap dump .

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
The basis of this trade is that Names and Vesey are not part of our core rebuild but they are a vast improvement to Edm dumpster fire of a bottom 6. Getting a 20 yr old “reclamation project” with top 5 pedigree is more valuable that mid round picks for those players. Also NYR need to start tanking and opening up bottom 6 roster spots to younger players for evaluation.

I added Sekera and Manning for salary purposes plus opening up a roster spot for Edm. I added ADA because of 2-way but seems that he has too much value. Happy to replace him with one of our other D prospects like O’Gara.

The basis is there but the value needs to be tweaked with the appropriate 2 way D from the NYR and maybe some picks each way like a 3 from edm and a 5 from NYR.

Rangers can retain on Manning and flip him for a late pick to a contender for depth playoff D and Sekera we can either bury on LTIR if he can’t play or at least is somewhat of an asset at 3.8 mil that we could retain further on in another trade next year.

NYR are short on upside winger prospects and were not finding those with 4-6 round picks that we would get from Vesey Names trades if at all

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
The basis of this trade is that Names and Vesey are not part of our core rebuild but they are a vast improvement to Edm dumpster fire of a bottom 6. Getting a 20 yr old “reclamation project” with top 5 pedigree is more valuable that mid round picks for those players. Also NYR need to start tanking and opening up bottom 6 roster spots to younger players for evaluation.

I added Sekera and Manning for salary purposes plus opening up a roster spot for Edm. I added ADA because of 2-way but seems that he has too much value. Happy to replace him with one of our other D prospects like O’Gara.

The basis is there but the value needs to be tweaked with the appropriate 2 way D from the NYR and maybe some picks each way like a 3 from edm and a 5 from NYR.

Rangers can retain on Manning and flip him for a late pick to a contender for depth playoff D and Sekera we can either bury on LTIR if he can’t play or at least is somewhat of an asset at 3.8 mil that we could retain further on in another trade next year.

NYR are short on upside winger prospects and were not finding those with 4-6 round picks that we would get from Vesey Names trades if at all
If you are trying to move those Dmen to make room for Klefbom how about we just trade you Names and Vesey for Klef ? problem solved .

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Confidence. And the aspects of the game other than points. He has 11 hits in the past 5 games, lots of those crushing ones. When he has the puck, he can carry it through the neutral zone right into the offensive zone. He has set up multiple plays, but lack of finish from Colby Cave and Kyle Brodziak has kept him off of the score sheet. He also has no pp time whatsoever. He is also the best forechecker on the team, and one of the best backcheckers. He is also the second fastest player on the team.
With all due respect, this sounds like an enormous amount of fluff. You can use whatever stats or observations you want. The fact of the matter is, when you're a former 4th overall pick (a highly touted one as I keep being reminded by Edmonton fans) that comes with a certain level of expectations built in. Those expectations do not include crushing hits. While there are aspects of the game other than points, Puljujarvi wasn't drafted to be a two way, 30 point, bone crushing third line forward.

Reactions: pld459666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad