GDT: NYR @ COL *Emoji Night* 9pm ET / 7pm MT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lafreniere doesn't even look like a NHL player.

Find me the last 1st overall pick to be given the role he's been given.

It's not just the role.

Actually, you're right. It's not just the role. It's the absolute horseshit centers they've given him. Rangers have all this phenomenal talent on the wings and up the middle it's...not good. Zibanejad has never been a legit franchise center, even when he was playing out of his mind and putting up 40 goals. And I'm actually someone who likes Zibanejad (way too much is being asked of him). The fact they keep thinking Strome is a scoring line center is ridiculous. No idea what to make of Chytil but he's got a pretty low ceiling.

Agree here. The Rangers could easily get a top 6 forward and a 5th defenseman to bump Nemeth from the lineup and they would be a scary dangerous contender. Then Lafreniere could log top 6 minutes on another team where he can be allowed to flourish his game a little bit more.

Frankly if I'm gonna move a winger it'd be the guy they should've moved on from the first time around--Kreider.

Now, all things being equal, it'd be quite something if the Rangers ended up getting stupid lucky in the lottery two years in a row and end up with very little to show for it.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I wonder if you are talking about me lol. I watch both teams, more Rangers recently because frankly, it's easier to follow an East Coast team and the Avs are at a point where you are just waiting for the playoffs and see what they can do there. The regular season is just chugging along, while for the Rangers they are looking to get into the playoffs for the first time in years (not counting the bubble here).

The Avs are certainly the easier team to watch in terms of less frustration and more entertainment ATM though...

As for Kakko, he still lacks some of the killer instinct when it comes to finishing, but other than that he's a really good player already. It's kinda absurd how he's able to avoid points this well, while a guy like Zibanejad who hasn't played a single good game this year continues to score (mostly because of PP though I guess).

Getting Byram was another "win through a loss". Kinda amazing the blueline the Avs can field at the moment (or could if they were healthy for one friggin game). It's a big part of why this team has such a good transition game. The other is Bednar. As much as we all have our slight issues with him, I do think the system he has implemented here shows how he's one of the best coaches in the game ATM. The difference watching the Avs vs some other teams is massive, and it's not just because we have top end talent. Many teams do, it's how we use it.

I think this board needs a thread entitled Current NHL Head Coaches Better than Bednar.

I've already got a short list to contribute.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
By all means let’s see it.
Cooper, Cassidy, Trotz, Sullivan to start. Not in any order.

Bednar's a decent coach. But these guys are better in my opinion.

We know his pluses and we know his faults.

(I was just reacting to what I thought was too strong on the accolade's aspect of the original poster's post.)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Cooper, Cassidy, Trotz, Sullivan to start. Not in any order.

Bednar's a decent coach. But these guys are better in my opinion.

We know his pluses and we know his faults.

(I was just reacting to what I thought was too strong on the accolade's aspect of the original poster's post.)

Maybe. I guess my argument would be this: How many Stanley Cup champs also had the best coach behind the bench?

Also, no, Cassidy is not better.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Maybe. I guess my argument would be this: How many Stanley Cup champs also had the best coach behind the bench?

Also, no, Cassidy is not better.
I'm not applying the SC angle here.

As far as Cassidy goes, I would disagree. Bednar's not better than Cassidy.

Lots of folk agree - Ranker.com for example. But it's just a matter of personal opinion. (I have to confess, I've followed him for a few years so maybe I'm biased....)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad