Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Chris Kreider (4 years $4.625M AAV)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Most 2nd liners that can be said about though, they are inconsistent. If they were consistent they would be first liners and be able to put up more points.

He may be 20/20 but he brings more than that. It's very hard to find a player at 6'3 who can skate like him and throw hits like he does (again though inconsistent) .

I agree but the problem for me is that everything he does is so inconsistent. Atleast you can expect him to hit hard, forecheck hard etc when he cant put the puck in the net but if he isnt scoring, he loses confidence and doesnt hit and forecheck very well either.
Could learn alot from Hagelin by the way he plays. Always give 100% no matter how many points he puts up. When Kreider is struggling producing, its almost looks like he gives up.... He doesnt contribute alot with his skating and physicality when he is isnt scoring because he loses confidence. Last season is a great example. Long stretches of the season he barely did anything. Just dumped the puck in and went for a change instead of trying to creating something. Annoying as hell because when he actually goes hard to the net, forechecks hard and uses his body to his advantage he can contribute ALOT no matter how many points he puts up. And that should be expected of him every night now, when he makes more than 4,6 mill a year like he will do now.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I agree but the problem for me is that everything he does is so inconsistent. Atleast you can expect him to hit hard, forecheck hard etc when he cant put the puck in the net but if he isnt scoring, he loses confidence and doesnt hit and forecheck very well either.
Could learn alot from Hagelin by the way he plays. Always give 100% no matter how many points he puts up. When Kreider is struggling producing, its almost looks like he gives up.... He doesnt contribute alot with his skating and physicality when he is isnt scoring because he loses confidence. Last season is a great example. Long stretches of the season he barely did anything. Just dumped the puck in and went for a change instead of trying to creating something. Annoying as hell because when he actually goes hard to the net, forechecks hard and uses his body to his advantage he can contribute ALOT no matter how many points he puts up. And that should be expected of him every night now, when he makes more than 4,6 mill a year like he will do now.

Totally agree. The talk in this thread about Kreider being an intimidating PWF confuses me. He could be that player if he wanted to, but he sure as **** isn't right now. He got the tools but need to figure his game out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kreider is an interesting case. He may be a bargain with a good year. Sort of like JVR's contract is. It's a calculated gamble at this point but not a back breaking one.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Totally agree. The talk in this thread about Kreider being an intimidating PWF confuses me. He could be that player if he wanted to, but he sure as **** isn't right now. He got the tools but need to figure his game out.

Couldnt agree more. I seriously think his hockey iq is the problem. He skates alot faster than he thinks the game which is a problem, atleast when he doesnt have the greatest hands either.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
A lot of people just don't understand that Kreider brings a lot more than points.

Here's a quote from Dominic Moore.

"Chris is the most explosive skater in the history of the NHL, in my opinion," Moore said. "He's a game-changer because he can break out and do amazing things because he is a freak athlete. Guys like that don't grow on trees. He has earned his way into being a valuable player in the League."

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-chris-kreider-a-freak-athlete/c-281216454

If you only watch the Rangers a few times a season, there's a chance you might not catch Kreider playing his game, and if you do, it probably won't be more than once or twice. You will only understand his impact if you watch the Rangers on a consistent basis. Kreider is basically like a Gronkowski, in terms of physical gifts, without the consistency. He's also clutch, usually plays a lot better in the postseason.

Is Moore his agent?

I also didn't realize Moore was such an NHL historian.

Yeah... Kreider is like Gronk. A beast who brings it game in and game out and totally takes over games through intimidating players. Kreider, like Gronk, makes those around him look like pee wee players.

I watch the Rangers consistently. That's about the only think that's consistent about Kreider. The fact that people watch him be inconsistent. The only reason he got to the 20 goal mark last year was his typical bunch of goals in a handful period of time. Otherwise he was a 15 goal scorer.

Yeah. Kreider is like Gronk.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it's a fine deal. Kreider would have hit the UFA market in 2 years, and if he improves his numbers in the next 2 seasons. Which is very achievable. 4.625 per for the final 2 UFA years is very modest. I like Kreider, always thought there was more than what he has shown thus far. This may turn out to be a very astute deal.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
The money these marginal players gets is just amazing to me.

40 point player.

Yeah like Ladd getting 5.5M for 7 years at 30 years old after scoring 46 points. And Grabovski at $5M? Nuts. How about that guy Kulemin that gets paid on 500k less than Kreider's new deal and only has about 50 points in the past two full seasons combined. Just amazing to me too. I hear ya dude.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is Moore his agent?

I also didn't realize Moore was such an NHL historian.

Yeah... Kreider is like Gronk. A beast who brings it game in and game out and totally takes over games through intimidating players. Kreider, like Gronk, makes those around him look like pee wee players.

I watch the Rangers consistently. That's about the only think that's consistent about Kreider. The fact that people watch him be inconsistent. The only reason he got to the 20 goal mark last year was his typical bunch of goals in a handful period of time. Otherwise he was a 15 goal scorer.

Yeah. Kreider is like Gronk.

You seem mad because he's on the Rangers, not the Islanders.

Also, if you read my post, I was talking about his physical skills being similar to Gronk, so maybe you should try to read what I said next time before ignoring what I said so you could try to insult a Ranger.

Your claims about Kreider are wrong, so either you are just trying to downplay that he's a pretty good player because he plays for the Rangers or you actually didn't watch much of him this past season. His play was pretty consistent, just wasn't getting points the first few months of last season. The last few months, he scored like his play earlier in the season would indicate. His main line mate for years Stepan had a really bad first few months to the season, which wasn't helped by injuries, and some other factors that contributed to his struggles. They were moving Kreider around a lot, which doesn't usually happen. He was also getting chances, they just weren't going in. His shooting percentage was almost two times as high in the second half of the season as the first half. In the first half, he had a really low shooting percentage that a player like him with a good shot and ability to get to the net with ease shouldn't be having, except for situations with really bad luck, like his first few months. Kreider said he was getting in his own way offensively, getting chances, just not scoring. Its also not much of a surprise that Kreider and Stepan started putting up points at around the same time. He had a good season, it would've probably been 50-55 points with better luck and play from his line-mates.

Sean Aviary

Chirp! Chirp!
Jan 5, 2012
Kreider is a unique physical talent, and I'd take him over the many the many guys they gave up who are currently earning similar amounts, like Hagelin, Anisimov, and Pouliot.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
People really think this is a bad deal?!? IMO this is an awesome contract, Kreider still has more potential. 6'3, strong+elite top end speed for his size. 4.6 million is perfect.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
You seem mad because he's on the Rangers, not the Islanders.

Also, if you read my post, I was talking about his physical skills being similar to Gronk, so maybe you should try to read what I said next time before ignoring what I said so you could try to insult a Ranger.

Your claims about Kreider are wrong, so either you are just trying to downplay that he's a pretty good player because he plays for the Rangers or you actually didn't watch much of him this past season. His play was pretty consistent, just wasn't getting points the first few months of last season. The last few months, he scored like his play earlier in the season would indicate. His main line mate for years Stepan had a really bad first few months to the season, which wasn't helped by injuries, and some other factors that contributed to his struggles. They were moving Kreider around a lot, which doesn't usually happen. He was also getting chances, they just weren't going in. His shooting percentage was almost two times as high in the second half of the season as the first half. In the first half, he had a really low shooting percentage that a player like him with a good shot and ability to get to the net with ease shouldn't be having, except for situations with really bad luck, like his first few months. Kreider said he was getting in his own way offensively, getting chances, just not scoring. Its also not much of a surprise that Kreider and Stepan started putting up points at around the same time. He had a good season, it would've probably been 50-55 points with better luck and play from his line-mates.

Im a NYR fan and watched every game last season and you talk like you are biased as hell, and have no expectations to Kreider.

1. He was extremely inconsistent and to be honest, pretty awful at times.

2. He didnt create alot of high end chances and didnt score, he struggled to create anything at all for long stretches of the season. Locked lost and without any confidence.

3. Stepan is a much better player than Kreider. This doesnt mean Kreider is bad at all, it means Stepan is a 1B center, and a very good one. Kreider is an inconsistent second line winger. There is a reason Stepan has 0,7 career ppg and Kreider has 0,52 career ppg. Both can be streaky but Stepan has alot more consistency to his game both ways. Which is why he is making 6,5 and kreider 4,6.

4. Kreider scored 9 points in his last 8 games. He was much closer to not breaking 40 than scoring 50-55 points. He had 43 points in 79 games. Stepan had 53 in 72 games and Stepan struggled at the beginning of the season aswell.

5. The good thing is that Kreider scored 43 points(21 goals) and was very inconsistent and struggled alot. This means if he actually can get some consistency in his game, gain some confidence, he could easily score 50+ points and 30 goals if he can put it together for a full season. My biggest problem with Kreider is that when he doesnt score he seems to get invisible. Atleast give 100%, forecheck hard and use his strength and physicality to create problems for the other teams defenders. For a couple of months he just dumped the puck in and went for a change almost every time he had the puck in the neutral sone. Was just horrible to watch how he had no confidence.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The money these marginal players gets is just amazing to me.

40 point player.

20 goals/50 points is 2nd line production on a lot of teams. The NHL is an exceptionally tough league to score in these days. People also complain about "inconsistency" when the reality is almost every goes dry at some point during a season, sometimes for extended periods of time

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
20 goals/50 points is 2nd line production on a lot of teams. The NHL is an exceptionally tough league to score in these days. People also complain about "inconsistency" when the reality is almost every goes dry at some point during a season, sometimes for extended periods of time

50 points is definetly 2nd line production, not really far away from top line points. Kreider has never scored 50... He scored 43 this season. Still 2nd line production usually.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
A lot of people just don't understand that Kreider brings a lot more than points.

Here's a quote from Dominic Moore.

"Chris is the most explosive skater in the history of the NHL, in my opinion," Moore said. "He's a game-changer because he can break out and do amazing things because he is a freak athlete. Guys like that don't grow on trees. He has earned his way into being a valuable player in the League."

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-chris-kreider-a-freak-athlete/c-281216454

If you only watch the Rangers a few times a season, there's a chance you might not catch Kreider playing his game, and if you do, it probably won't be more than once or twice. You will only understand his impact if you watch the Rangers on a consistent basis. Kreider is basically like a Gronkowski, in terms of physical gifts, without the consistency. He's also clutch, usually plays a lot better in the postseason.

NHL history :laugh:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The more of these 2009 drafted forwards that get signed, the better Kadri's deal looks. IMO, Krieder is over-paid in comparison (I'm talking HF Boards definition of over-paid) but it's pretty much nickel and dime stuff. Plus it's 4 years vs 6 years. He is a unique player but just needs more consistency.

I'm very interested to see what Schenn gets. I've read here $5M, which would be over-payment when you compare it to what Kadri got. It also depends on term. What have you done for me lately may also apply. We've seen how players get paid after 1 good year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad