Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Chris Kreider (4 years $4.625M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Its not a very good deal... Its market value. Dont think he would have gotten alot more on the open market. He is a 0,5 ppg player. Its not a bad deal but its not very good at all. Very good would have been less than 4,5 and more term. Its a fair deal, but a fair deal isnt a very good deal at all. Far from it

Good perspective and completely agree.

I think too many people label contracts as a "good deal" if they didnt wind up completely overpaying or were expecting to

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of people just don't understand that Kreider brings a lot more than points.

Here's a quote from Dominic Moore.

"Chris is the most explosive skater in the history of the NHL, in my opinion," Moore said. "He's a game-changer because he can break out and do amazing things because he is a freak athlete. Guys like that don't grow on trees. He has earned his way into being a valuable player in the League."

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-chris-kreider-a-freak-athlete/c-281216454

If you only watch the Rangers a few times a season, there's a chance you might not catch Kreider playing his game, and if you do, it probably won't be more than once or twice. You will only understand his impact if you watch the Rangers on a consistent basis. Kreider is basically like a Gronkowski, in terms of physical gifts, without the consistency. He's also clutch, usually plays a lot better in the postseason.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
That awkward moment when bern is so vehement about the NYR not giving out NTCs and Kreider gets a NTC. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, glad we got him under contract for 4 more years. Now buckle down and become the consistent 50-60 pt power winger we need, Chris!

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A lot of people just don't understand that Kreider brings a lot more than points.

"Chris is the most explosive skater in the history of the NHL, in my opinion," Moore said. "He's a game-changer because he can break out and do amazing things because he is a freak athlete. Guys like that don't grow on trees. He has earned his way into being a valuable player in the League."

If you only watch the Rangers a few times a season, there's a chance you might not catch Kreider playing his game, and if you do, it probably won't be more than once or twice. You will only understand his impact if you watch the Rangers on a consistent basis. Kreider is basically like a Gronkowski, in terms of physical gifts, without the consistency. He's also clutch, usually plays a lot better in the postseason.

I'll take Pavel Bure every day of the week and twice on game 7s

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
its not a very good deal... Its market value. Dont think he would have gotten alot more on the open market. He is a 0,5 ppg player. Its not a bad deal but its not very good at all. Very good would have been less than 4,5 and more term. Its a fair deal, but a fair deal isnt a very good deal at all. Far from it

wtf???

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

If he actually managed to be consistent he would have been a real gamechanger. The problem is that he is so inconsistent that even if he has some great things about him, its usually a good amount of time between when he shows it. As much as he has great physical attributes his hands arent close to good enough to be a great offensive player... He could develop more but the reason for why he hasnt the last couple of years is because he doesnt have the hands and hockey iq to be dominant. Atleast not yet and its not easy to teach hockey iq and hands.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Its not a very good deal... Its market value. Dont think he would have gotten alot more on the open market. He is a 0,5 ppg player. Its not a bad deal but its not very good at all. Very good would have been less than 4,5 and more term. Its a fair deal, but a fair deal isnt a very good deal at all. Far from it

This just screams, "I don't watch him, I just looked at his stats on HockeyDB!"

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI

I don't think so...I watch a lot of Rangers games (my brother is a diehard, go figure) and there are a LOT of nights where he is invisible. When he IS on, he is very noticeable, but he's very inconsistent. The money is market value for a 20-20 guy. Im surprised that Hayes got so little when you look at the fact that he and Kreider have very similar stats in their first 2 seasons in the NHL.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

I don't think anybody is really close to as fast as Bure was - but Kreider is really, really fast and he's a lot bigger. Bure was just insanely fast, elusive and had an incredible shot. Saw him live in his rookie season and he would literally jump over checks. Haven't seen it since.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

I watched every game last season and has watched pretty much every game the last 4 seasons. He was completely invisible for long stretches of last season. He was pretty awful actually at times last season. Looked lost. He had 9 points the last 8 games which saved his stats a little.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think so...I watch a lot of Rangers games (my brother is a diehard, go figure) and there are a LOT of nights where he is invisible. When he IS on, he is very noticeable, but he's very inconsistent. The money is market value for a 20-20 guy. Im surprised that Hayes got so little when you look at the fact that he and Kreider have very similar stats in their first 2 seasons in the NHL.

Kreider's played three seasons, Hayes two. Kreider's first three seasons have all been either an improvement or about the same, in point production. Hayes was very good his first season, and mediocre his second season. The stats show that. He seemed to be getting better each month in his rookie season. He showed signs of playing good defense, he became consistent towards the end of the season, and his effort level was also good. Last season, Hayes showed up out of shape. Kreider worked really hard in the offseason, they probably contrast as the most out of shape and most in shape player from how they showed up to last season. Early in the season, Kreider was missing chances he should be scoring. He wasn't even playing that bad, just not getting points. As the season went on, he started putting up points. I think he had an unlucky season. He's always been inconsistent, but last season his game to game consistency was better. Hayes had a bad season. He was called out by his coach, and benched, I think multiple times. His effort defensively was probably the worst of any of the forwards, and I'd hesitate to even call him inconsistent. Inconsistent would indicate he was good at times, which I don't think is the case.

Kreider brings the best combination of size, speed, power in the NHL. Kreider is still inconsistent, but I think his game to game consistency has been improving, and he hasn't had any really bad seasons, like Hayes has had. He's been pretty consistent with the points he puts up each season. If this is as good as Kreider will be, the Rangers can count on 40-50 points from Kreider, a very good work ethic, to go with the most physically intimidating PWF game in the NHL. With Hayes, he's had two very different seasons. One was very good, the other was not good. One season he showed a good work ethic and was praised by coaches and teammates for improving, the next he was called out by his coach for his work ethic, he was benched, he was very bad defensively and he didn't improve.

There's the difference. Its a big difference. Kreider is much more proven. Hayes could have a better season than Kreider, but that'll likely be because Hayes plays like he had in his rookie season. We know that Kreider will most likely have at least 40-45 points next season, if he doesn't improve. Hayes might be the biggest unknown on the team for next season.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

So you're saying he's a guy that only brings it occasionally. That's someone you're proud to have?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Good perspective and completely agree.

I think too many people label contracts as a "good deal" if they didnt wind up completely overpaying or were expecting to

I think the difference between market value and what he got is nickels and dimes. NYR bought out 2 UFA years on a player while inconsistent has shown decent production and tremendous upside at a price not much over what arbitration would have awarded. Plus he is desired as an asset around the league, a reasonable 11 team limited NTC, and a declining real salary. This is a major negotiation win for Gorton.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So you're saying he's a guy that only brings it occasionally. That's someone you're proud to have?

One knock on Krieder is that he tends to perform to the level of team performance. Meaning that when the NYR are going well he's great and when they aren't, he's invisible. 75% of the players around the league fall into this category. He's not a savior.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Most 2nd liners that can be said about though, they are inconsistent. If they were consistent they would be first liners and be able to put up more points.

He may be 20/20 but he brings more than that. It's very hard to find a player at 6'3 who can skate like him and throw hits like he does (again though inconsistent) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad