Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Rangers trade Joey Keane to Hurricanes for Julien Gauthier

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic. Tremendous vision and outstanding hockey sense; thrives under pressure and doesn't stray from the high-percentage play. Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments. Exceptional skating ability allows him to stay with, if not ahead, of each unfolding play. Refined puckhandling skills allow him to maintain puck control at breakneck speeds. All-in-all, a prolific scorer whose attitude and innate abilities will constantly propel him into dominance. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

Julien Gauthier has drawn well-deserved comparisons to current NHLer Rick Nash. He has an imposing frame, dazzling puck skills, and the drive to win. Learns from his past mistakes and implements new strategies to counteract them. [EliteProspects 2016]'
I started reading this and was, yes, we need scoring. And then I was, no.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
This is pretty bad for the Rangers. Gauthier pretty much has to be considered a bust at this point. He's going to be 23 in October. Keane is 2 years younger, plays a much more valuable position and almost has as many points as Gauthier in the AHL this season despite being a rookie defenseman compared to a third-year pro winger. Did Gorton just get starstruck by the "former first rounder" tag that means absolutely nothing at this point?

It also doesn't matter that they have three good RDs on the NHL roster right now. You could always end up trading ADA or even Trouba in a bigger deal for a center and even if you don't Keane is trending really well and would likely have more trade value a year from now whereas Gauthier's trade value is clearly trending down given his continued inability to make the NHL.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ranger fan and don’t know what to feel. I know for a fact we are not very deep at the forward position and will be less so after we lost kreider/fast/ strome potentially.
After a poor preseason no one can argue Keane has made the biggest strides in the AHL hopefully good trade for both teams

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
From the Canes standpoint, this feels like a setup to something bigger.

Yes, this adds a RH D to the pipeline that we are lacking, but man, our pipeline is loaded on defense, and this only made that situation worse. Even if we lose TVR and Edmundson this offseason, we're still looking at filling that last roster spot with Bean, Priskie, or now Keane. And after Hamilton signs, and we bring Fleury back (both likely, as Hamilton is one of the guys we can't let go, and Fleury is just now coming into his own, and will probably not cost too much to re-up, and there is zero appetite from the front office to break in 2 rookie dmen in any given year) we will likely have 5 of our 6 defensive slots filled for at least 2 years. 2 of the 3 are going to be blocked. And even more curious, we took a guy from an area we need help in (RH depth forwards who can score) and made it weaker to create this logjam.

Something about this doesn't add up, unless there's a bigger move coming.

Reactions: egelband and Tryamw

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This is pretty bad for the Rangers. Gauthier pretty much has to be considered a bust at this point. He's going to be 23 in October. Keane is 2 years younger, plays a much more valuable position and almost has as many points as Gauthier in the AHL this season despite being a rookie defenseman compared to a third-year pro winger. Did Gorton just get starstruck by the "former first rounder" tag that means absolutely nothing at this point?

It also doesn't matter that they have three good RDs on the NHL roster right now. You could always end up trading ADA or even Trouba in a bigger deal for a center and even if you don't Keane is trending really well and would likely have more trade value a year from now whereas Gauthier's trade value is clearly trending down given his continued inability to make the NHL.

Power forward prospect scoring goals at a pace of 48 goals over an 82 game season is a bust at age 22.

Ok.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is a neat trade because it's not super common that you see prospects of this caliber that are playing well get traded for each other. The only two from the last year+ that pop into mind are Nylander for Jokiharju and Sprong for Pettersson. Usually when you see prospects swapped in these kind of deals, it's a struggling prospect for a struggling prospect.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I am hoping you are wrong and this trade works out well for both teams but I can’t argue with your logic.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Power forward prospect scoring goals at a pace of 48 goals over an 82 game season is a bust at age 22.

Ok.

Oh, is he doing that in the NHL? Most forwards who establish themselves as NHL players are NHL regulars by 22 so I'll retract my statement if that 48-goal pace was with the Hurricanes.

Reactions: Morrison

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Let's not forget Gauthier is an October birthday meaning he was about a month and a half away from being eligible for the 2015 NHL draft. If a forward selected in 2015 draft had 5 career NHL games to his name at this point I don't think many people here would have an issue labeling him an outright bust. Unless you're still holding out hope for Zach Senyshyn or Ryan Gropp.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This feels like a home run for NY.

Especially if Kreider is on his way out. Gauthier may never reach Kreider heights but has the speed and size we’d like to be inserting into the lineup. The Rangers are thin, organizationally on forwards and wingers. There will be opportunity in NY for sure.

Keane was a good looking RHD prospect but the Rangers have Nils Lundqvist in the pipeline and DeAngelo, Fox and Trouba on the NHL roster. Dealing from a position of strength to address a situation of weakness, and I feel getting the more exciting prospect.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
cant lose a trade when you deal an asset who wasn’t going to see playtime and acquire a need

The No. 1 free agent destination in the league "needs" future fourth liners, the kind of player available for nothing on a one-year deal every July. Okay. (Personally not even convinced Gauthier has the defensive awareness to play on a NHL fourth line, which the Hurricanes discovered themselves earlier this season)

Reactions: vorbis

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
Let's not forget Gauthier is an October birthday meaning he was about a month and a half away from being eligible for the 2015 NHL draft. If a forward selected in 2015 draft had 5 career NHL games to his name at this point I don't think many people here would have an issue labeling him an outright bust. Unless you're still holding out hope for Zach Senyshyn or Ryan Gropp.

Did you just like take one peek at elite prospects & decide who these guys are & will be based off points & age?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Did you just like take one peek at elite prospects & decide who these guys are & will be based off points & age?

Yes, because those are the best predictors of what a prospect is going to be. Especially one like Gauthier who's more career AHLer than prospect at this point. But I've also seen Gauthier enough times to know he can't skate at a NHL level, is a defensive liability and only got drafted in the first round because he scored on 20% (!!!) of his shots in the QMJHL in 2015-16, a complete fluke (his shooting percentage over his other three full QMJHL seasons was 12.6%). I've also seen Keane enough times to know he's pretty much the quintessential new NHL defenseman. He's not going to impress anyone physically and it's still possible his frame holds him back from playing in the NHL but his skating (especially edgework) and hockey sense are already NHL caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad