Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Maxim Letunov for Tarmo Reunanen

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
1) Reunanen scored a point in four different leagues last season (Liiga, Mestis, AHL, NHL)
2) Carolina really likes to draft and trade Finns

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
1) Reunanen scored a point in four different leagues last season (Liiga, Mestis, AHL, NHL)
2) Carolina really likes to draft and trade Finns
That's probably why they traded for Kotkaniemi, because they want to Finns that much.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Pretty bad asset management by the Rangers, as usual. could have traded Reunanen for 3rd rounder a year or 2 ago.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Pretty bad asset management by the Rangers, as usual. could have traded Reunanen for 3rd rounder a year or 2 ago.
2 years ago we had no clue the depth would look like Schneider, Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson. Miller just got out of college.

If you go back last year, that's still before Schneider wins WHL dman of the year award, Lundkvist wins best Swedish dman, and Jones comes over form college. Throw in that the last thing we needed was more 3rd round picks with all the prospects we were drafting and that wouldn't have made much of a difference. This really wasn't bad asset management. If anything Reunanen would have been involved as one of the prospects included in a bigger trade.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
@bernmeister I thought Reunanen was a solid D prospect with top4 potential??? Guess youe Bluest blue chipepes aren't as blue as you thought
He had the tools or the potential tools to be a low 2nd/3rd pairing player. (Not saying he was a lock to make it) Reunanen had 17 point in 21 AHL games last year after having a few years of injuries. This year we've had Schneider, Jones, Robertson and Lundkvist all playing in the AHL and they either have or are projected to have a bigger future with the organization.

He had a lot of injuries early on and then pretty much became a solid 2-way defender for the AHL. Whether he finds his way to the NHL or not, we didn't have a spot for him. Nobody should have ever called him a blue chip piece.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
@bernmeister I thought Reunanen was a solid D prospect with top4 potential??? Guess youe Bluest blue chipepes aren't as blue as you thought
As is the case more often than not, you are wrong in your jibes vs me.
As to this particular instance,
1. Reunanen was WAY WAY WAY behind on depth chart b'c NY has crazy surplus of young D, incl LD, so he has to go,
suitors know that, and insist on a discount at sq 1.
2. He is a good prospect and while not the taller 6'4"/+ size Kings are looking for, LA should have offered a mid pick and NY should have taken it, but it takes 2 sides to tango.
3. Not thrilled he is going to div rival CAR, but the return is useful, with outside chance he is a late bloomer, and even if that is only bottom 6, fine, those slots gotta be filled too.
4. In sports mgmt incl hockey, sometimes this imbalance happens. Vatrano is obv worth more than 4th NY paid to FL for him, but Panthers urgent bordering desperate for cap for Giroux addition. Reunanen worth more but circumstances make expediency desirable.

No one said R was in same strata as NIls L, Jones, etc.
So your slam vs my bluest blue chip remarks is again hollow.

Esp when contrasted w/reality that everybody wants NYR bluest blue chips in all these threads,

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He had the tools or the potential tools to be a low 2nd/3rd pairing player. (Not saying he was a lock to make it) Reunanen had 17 point in 21 AHL games last year after having a few years of injuries. This year we've had Schneider, Jones, Robertson and Lundkvist all playing in the AHL and they either have or are projected to have a bigger future with the organization.

He had a lot of injuries early on and then pretty much became a solid 2-way defender for the AHL. Whether he finds his way to the NHL or not, we didn't have a spot for him. Nobody should have ever called him a blue chip piece.
concur, thank you for solid post w/informative detail

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
As is the case more often than not, you are wrong in your jibes vs me.
As to this particular instance,
1. Reunanen was WAY WAY WAY behind on depth chart b'c NY has crazy surplus of young D, incl LD, so he has to go,
suitors know that, and insist on a discount at sq 1.
2. He is a good prospect and while not the taller 6'4"/+ size Kings are looking for, LA should have offered a mid pick and NY should have taken it, but it takes 2 sides to tango.
3. Not thrilled he is going to div rival CAR, but the return is useful, with outside chance he is a late bloomer, and even if that is only bottom 6, fine, those slots gotta be filled too.
4. In sports mgmt incl hockey, sometimes this imbalance happens. Vatrano is obv worth more than 4th NY paid to FL for him, but Panthers urgent bordering desperate for cap for Giroux addition. Reunanen worth more but circumstances make expediency desirable.

No one said R was in same strata as NIls L, Jones, etc.
So your slam vs my bluest blue chip remarks is again hollow.

Esp when contrasted w/reality that everybody wants NYR bluest blue chips in all these threads,
Except, beside Schneider, non of these guys are A grade prospects. That's what you do not seem to understand. Nils, Jones, small Offensive dman who disapera when it gets physical, Tyson Barrie type of D at best,

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Nils, Jones, small Offensive dman who disappear when it gets physical, Tyson Barrie type of D at best,
I read this as (on-brand) uninformed jumping to conclusions.
glad to revisit in 2-3 seasons, when their time in NA pro is more than a few months

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I read this as (on-brand) uninformed jumping to conclusions.
glad to revisit in 2-3 seasons, when their time in NA pro is more than a few months
Both Jones and Lundkvist are small offensive minded dman with limited defensive talent.

They may end up being 50-60pts dman, but their terrible defensive play and small stature will make then liabilities come playoff time. Hence why Habs prefered a guy like Barron

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Both Jones and Lundkvist are small offensive minded dman with limited defensive talent...their terrible defensive play and small stature will make then liabilities come playoff time....
yes that opinion was shared in your prior post
doesn't jive with much of my observations at multiple levels
Jones especially has good positioning, defensive smarts and aggressive backcheck
Nils is patient and savvy, and can play the man off the puck, or out of the play, as well as play the developing play

anyway, these conclusions need not be made and sealed now,
seems the objective path may be to revisit in a couple years, rather than so soon
cheers

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Post-deadline trades are always fun.

That's about all I can contribute on this one because I literally had no f***ing idea which guy got traded to which organization.

Reactions: Chrispy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Except, beside Schneider, non of these guys are A grade prospects. That's what you do not seem to understand. Nils, Jones, small Offensive dman who disapera when it gets physical, Tyson Barrie type of D at best,
sez you
same size as Fox, approx
we'll see

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Both Jones and Lundkvist are small offensive minded dman with limited defensive talent.

They may end up being 50-60pts dman, but their terrible defensive play and small stature will make then liabilities come playoff time. Hence why Habs prefered a guy like Barron
Tarmo would be a top pairing D on the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad