Nyqvist

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
problem is he makes too much for his production. Not to mention his no move clause kicks in this Summer. I think he'll be moved. He could excel in Columbus.
How about Ryan Murray for #14?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
problem is he makes too much for his production. Not to mention his no move clause kicks in this Summer. I think he'll be moved. He could excel in Columbus.
How about Ryan Murray for #14?

That's not the problem at all. Nyquist is a 45-50 point wing. Those guys get around 4.5M.

The problem is that on a well built team... him and Tatar are redundant. Two smallish wingers that are very weak in the offensive zone and on the boards. Neither is good enough to take on the physicality like Z and Dats were.

The problem is that he's not about to provide you excess value. He'll give you production commiserate with his 4.5M contract, when the name of the game now is to get more value from your players than you're paying them for.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's not the problem at all. Nyquist is a 45-50 point wing. Those guys get around 4.5M.

The problem is that on a well built team... him and Tatar are redundant. Two smallish wingers that are very weak in the offensive zone and on the boards. Neither is good enough to take on the physicality like Z and Dats were.

The problem is that he's not about to provide you excess value. He'll give you production commiserate with his 4.5M contract, when the name of the game now is to get more value from your players than you're paying them for.

I'm more than fine trading one for a blue chip defensive prospect (you're not getting a good young established D), but I do not think having both on a well built team is an issue... just like having Filppula and Hudler on our last Cup roster wasn't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The moment guys hit their mid-late 20s, I think any hope of getting excess value should be set aside. They are hitting their UFA age years and, if we're hanging onto them, I think the hope has to be that we don't overpay. Like we very likely did with Gator and Helm.

If we're looking for excess value it's almost certainly with only guys coming up and playing on ELCs or second contracts, or on reclamation projects like Vanek where we really just got a bit lucky.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I hope no one is hoping our 4th round picks become elite players.

If they make the NHL at all its good
if they become 2nd line players thats great
becoming 1st line players.... well thats basically the ultimate lottery win.

I don't think anyone was expecting or hoping for him to be elite when he was drafted but being an MVP in the AHL and then going on a scoring tear to carry a team into a playoff appearance I know quite a few people were hoping elite. When he was drafted no there was no expectation and regardless of his season this year he is still a home run where he was drafted

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think anyone was expecting or hoping for him to be elite when he was drafted but being an MVP in the AHL and then going on a scoring tear to carry a team into a playoff appearance I know quite a few people were hoping elite. When he was drafted no there was no expectation and regardless of his season this year he is still a home run where he was drafted

The elite forwards in this league tend not to spend as much time in the AHL as our guys. Many of them spend no time at all. How many games down there did Matthews play? McDavid? Eichel? Laine?

An "overager" can outplay AHL guys because a lot of them are younger, smaller, weaker, less experienced, less developed. It's a development league. Gus wasn't an NHL regular until he was 23-24.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Except stat wise in terms of top 6 wingers he is below average. Top 9 he is slightly above average. He is a between second and third line player.

I'm not sure that's true. He is 32nd this year in points for right wings, was 29th last year, and was 17th in 2014-2015. (This is based on position as listed by NHL so might not be totally accurate but is close enough). That's not setting the world on fire but I don't think that makes you a borderline Top 6 player either. There's only 30 teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad