Nyqvist

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
What the heck is wrong with him?

How did he regress this badly. A lot of people had him pegged as a 70-point winger a couple of seasons ago, now he's on pace for what, 45-50? And only 10 goals so far?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

How did he regress this badly. A lot of people had him pegged as a 70-point winger a couple of seasons ago, now he's on pace for what, 45-50? And only 10 goals so far?

He's been on a tear.
The entire team stepped back.
He streaked for most of his first breakout
Second year he was a PP machine

Nyquist has been really good the last 20 games.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

70 points was always his ceiling. He may still do it in a career year. He's a 50 point playmaking winger. Don't be mad at him because he isn't Phil Kessel.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The mistake was basing his future production on sustaining an unrealistic shooting percentage he had for a stretch.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
The mistake was basing his future production on sustaining an unrealistic shooting percentage he had for a stretch.

He wasn't scoring low shooting percentages that season though. He was creating absolute grade A scoring chances with his speed. His shot was wicked too. I get the shooting percentages during career years but he's been a different player.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He has regressed, but expect him to be a consistent 15/20-goal, 50/55-point goy moving forward.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

"A lot of people"

If that is true, "a lot" of people were delusional.

Nyquist is a perfectly good Winger.

I mean what level of points in today's NHL is acceptable for a top line winger?

(NOT A SUPERSTAR) just a regular top line winger...

60 pts maybe?

Nyquist was always going to be at best a 2nd line player. Maybe maybe 1.5th line player.

He might one season put up Z or D ttype numbers... But he is not Zetterberg level, and never will be.

And that's ok. He is a perfectly good 50pt +/- 10 pts player.

P.S. we also have people trying to predict what kind of points Larkin/Mantha/Athanasiou will get. Again predicting how good those players will be in 5 years is a stupid situation to putt yourself in. Also our fans massively overpredict.

I am a realist. I want 2 years of production at a certain level before i call that player an XX pt player.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I think he's one of the casualties of Pavel's departure. Pavel created space for his wingers in the attacking zone. There are no centers on this roster that draw defensive coverage like Pavel did.

Nyquist would be able to get into dead spots in the zone and get quality scoring chances. I never considered him as a guy that could create his own scoring chances. He needs a playmaking center to set him up. A guy like Tatar is better as taking the puck and creating his own chances...that's why we see him still scoring 20 goals in this down year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Eh, while he did have an insane run a few seasons ago most people still saw him more as a 50-60 point player. What has changed is many thought he could be a 30+ goal scorer and now he's struggling to reach 20. But before hitting the NHL he was seen as more of a playmaker and this year he's going to put up his best assist totals yet. He's really not having that bad of a year.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
1. I think other teams have generally found ways to neutralize not only him but this team overall.
2. His shooting % dropped significantly. why? I have few theories such as goalies figuring him out better, issue with his confidence and current NHL systems dont let him to set himself up to his liking.

For these reasons, I think he hit his ceiling. In order to break through the wall, he needs to work hard (which is a minimum requirement) and start working on couple of things.

1. working on how to skate into open space better. - unless he intends to change his whole game, it's better to work on area he's familiar with. Right now, I think he's pretty decent at getting into space that is already open. He can also set up play pretty well during transition. However in O zone, he's marked too tightly. (could be wrong, haven't seen games in awhile) I think he can do much better at finding those space that is going to open. Obviously the key is to keep thinking, moving around in O zone and tricking opponents. Separating and getting behind coverage at just the right time. It probably doesnt hurt to ask Z.
2. by doing so he should get better grip of how opposition D moves which will allow him to be a better set up man. If he understands how opposition D presses the puck better, it allows him to set up a play couple steps ahead. Elite playmakers are those who usually can figure out pattern of D quick and plan ahead how to move the D coverage to his liking.
3. While working on this new skill he needs to keep working on improving fundamentals such as stick handling and shooting accuracy. It's going to give him more options out on ice.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
If you think Nyquist is a third liner, I'd love to see what you think of the rest of this team.

Most of the team is third liners. That's why they're as bad as they are. They lack top end talent. Need two top 6(or 3) forwards and a top 2 defenseman.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
In what world does a third liner hit 40-50 points on a **** team with a terrible PP? You have unrealistic expectations.

Except stat wise in terms of top 6 wingers he is below average. Top 9 he is slightly above average. He is a between second and third line player.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
45 to 50 points isn't all that bad these days on a team that plays guys with 0 goals on the power play.

I think the only real disappointment is he is definitely a complementary player an not going to be elite like we hoped/needed.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
45 to 50 points isn't all that bad these days on a team that plays guys with 0 goals on the power play.

I think the only real disappointment is he is definitely a complementary player an not going to be elite like we hoped/needed.

I hope no one is hoping our 4th round picks become elite players.

If they make the NHL at all its good
if they become 2nd line players thats great
becoming 1st line players.... well thats basically the ulttimate lottery win.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I hope no one is hoping our 4th round picks become elite players.

If they make the NHL at all its good
if they become 2nd line players thats great
becoming 1st line players.... well thats basically the ulttimate lottery win.

Absolutely true. If you turn out 4th round picks into top6 players with any regularity, you're crushing it. And you should be taking those picks, turning them into those players, and trading up.

On the other hand, you need to hit elite players somehow. I don't blame management for not doing it in the later rounds. It's literally a single digit percent chance over the last decade+ to do so. But if they're not hitting them there, they need to try and find them some other way. Big trades, or tanking, or something. Because our complete lack of elite players is obviously not cutting it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Absolutely true. If you turn out 4th round picks into top6 players with any regularity, you're crushing it. And you should be taking those picks, turning them into those players, and trading up.

On the other hand, you need to hit elite players somehow. I don't blame management for not doing it in the later rounds. It's literally a single digit percent chance over the last decade+ to do so. But if they're not hitting them there, they need to try and find them some other way. Big trades, or tanking, or something. Because our complete lack of elite players is obviously not cutting it.

Oh I agree Flowah.
I am somewhat of a paradox around here.

I do not think Holland has failed us since 2012.
I think what he did made sense. It didnt work out. Thats ok.

But this year is the beginning of a new chapter. And the Rebuild begins.
Ken Holland is in a new world of GM'ing now. And I think he is going to do what is needed.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Oh I agree Flowah.

Ken Holland is in a new world of GM'ing now. And I think he is going to do what is needed.

You do have a measured and reasoned view of Holland. I'm in the camp that would like the Red Wings to go in a direction without Holland as GM but it may be worthwhile to see how he handles the team knowing full well the pieces in place do not make for a playoff caliber team. Perhaps he will recognize the course needs to be changed and make adjustments to his game plan. One concern I have, though, is that he may be in a bubble of sorts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh I agree Flowah.

One of those realities in my opinion should be that Nyquist and Tatar shouldn't both be on the team. He can keep one, but one of these guys needs to move for help on the back-end in my opinion.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
One of those realities in my opinion should be that Nyquist and Tatar shouldn't both be on the team. He can keep one, but one of these guys needs to move for help on the back-end in my opinion.

We've been saying this for quite some time now though which really starts to make you doubt that it would ever be done.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Its very possible that all the deals we post here for Nyquist and Tatar for a D man... might not be getting fair value back.

I mean look at the value Smith went for recently.

Or that Hall for Larsson.

Its very possible that Tatar can only fetch us a 3rd pairing type guy.

But overall we def need more help on D. So i agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad