Nyquist suspended six games for high stick (Post 139)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I know one is on an official which makes it 100 times worse and there are clear by the book punishments. I just think that nyquist looks so much worse that vermette's could have an impact even if the NHL says it didn't. If vermette gets a longer suspension than nyquist people will riot the streets.

He will and they won't and they shouldn't.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Why didn't he just wait and then deliver a clean open ice bone crushing hit or drop rhe gloves and fight him?

Thats how real hockey players get even, they take a number

Oh yeah because people are going to stop cheap shotting Nyquist because they fear getting beat up. Are you thinking of another player?

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Oh yeah because people are going to stop cheap shotting Nyquist because they fear getting beat up. Are you thinking of another player?

MOD

That cross check was as casual as they come. Gus is just soft as butter. Can't handle jabs like that? Play ringette.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know one is on an official which makes it 100 times worse and there are clear by the book punishments. I just think that nyquist looks so much worse that vermette's could have an impact even if the NHL says it didn't. If vermette gets a longer suspension than nyquist people will riot the streets.

It won't though. Contact with officials is an instant no-no in every single sport ever. There are no allowances for frustration or anything like that. You're expected to hit the players on the other team.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I've seen 15 year olds throw a harder cross check than Spurgeon's, it was more of a glancing blow than anything else. Not vicious enough to get speared in the face.

I've read plenty of articles regarding the play that describe the cross check as bad. But no obviously he shouldn't have responded to it like he did.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I've read plenty of articles regarding the play that describe the cross check as bad. But no obviously he shouldn't have responded to it like he did.

And I've watched plenty of games where that same shove/crosscheck play is made routinely along the boards and in front of the net by all teams (including Detroit). I just think he caught Gus a little off-balance (and/or Nyquist isn't strong on his skates).
Bottom line is that even had it been the most egregious crosscheck ever, his reaction was WAY out of line. Guessing that he's out for 10 games although it should be more.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And I've watched plenty of games where that same shove/crosscheck play is made routinely along the boards and in front of the net by all teams (including Detroit). I just think he caught Gus a little off-balance (and/or Nyquist isn't strong on his skates).
Bottom line is that even had it been the most egregious crosscheck ever, his reaction was WAY out of line. Guessing that he's out for 10 games although it should be more.

With how Nyquist was bending over, I think it caught him below/beneath any padding he had back there. It was a pretty nasty crosscheck, and we do see them too often without getting called. Holmstrom used to be beaten like a pinata and the refs just turned a blind eye to all of it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is it possible that the league has its verdict, but is waiting until tomorrow, due to the visitation for Mike Ilitch?

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
6 games is reasonable.

first time offender and, although it was bad, similar to repeat offender keith's ban. had he got more he couldnt really have complained, but 6 is fine imo.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sounds about right to me, ****** play with instant remorse and an outside factor on the swing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
At the end of the day pretty expected.

Of course pundits and "neutrals" will want more for something so blatant. Then again that's the case for every cheap shot ever delivered.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Q7eNchN.png

Espn is good at reporting things

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The DoPS's video talks about intent, then pawns it off with 'well he didn't do anything before'. It's amazing how juvenile they are about this. In the real world you don't usually get a 'well he didn't do this before' when you commit a major crime, especially one with intent to commit a crime. Should have been 10, easily. Could have been 20. But the NHL shows they don't care about safety.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The DoPS's video talks about intent, then pawns it off with 'well he didn't do anything before'. It's amazing how juvenile they are about this. In the real world you don't usually get a 'well he didn't do this before' when you commit a major crime, especially one with intent to commit a crime. Should have been 10, easily. Could have been 20. But the NHL shows they don't care about safety.

Your first mistake was comparing sports to real life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad