Nyquist suspended six games for high stick (Post 139)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I had just posted the same thing in the post-game thread.

This has the feel of 8-10 games...and I'm in favor of it. Total asshat move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Duncan Keith got 7 games I think
Keith is a repeat offender; first one for Nyquist
No injury
5 games

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Big fan of Nyquist, but that was a totally garbage stunt he pulled.

Deserves to get suspended and I hope he does. However many games they think is fair, won't even complain whatever it is.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
The incident could have been worse if he had elevated a few more inches! may have been the worst stick crime I have seen in 10 years or more. Frankly, 20 games or the season feels right to me. The fact that he did this with intent and malice makes it even worse. furthermore to do it to a small non aggressive defender like surgeon makes it even worse.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
In his locker room inferview after the game he was rocking the Danny clearly hockey school cap. Lol

Yeah he is going to sit a few.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Undersized third line player sick of getting pushed around like a rag doll.

5 games would be my guess. Anything more for a first time offender, would be a surprise.

But I think he deserves 10+ this is a Todd bertuzzi type cheap shot.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I am guessing he will get five games. I really think it will be hard to hit him with more than Keith got as a repeat offender.

Keith got 6 games--5 regular season and 1 playoff game. Right or wrong, the league tends to hand out shorter playoff suspensions then they do in the regular season. I'd guess the league likely considers a 7-8 game regular season suspension equivalent to a 5+1 regular season/playoffs suspension.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Just ignore the fact the guy tried to face plant nyquist into the boards right before that I say good. Teams have been doing nothing but cheap shotting the wings from Webber to this guy to the guy that took Ericson out. Should be just a fine.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Just ignore the fact the guy tried to face plant nyquist into the boards right before that I say good. Teams have been doing nothing but cheap shotting the wings from Webber to this guy to the guy that took Ericson out. Should be just a fine.

Nyquist is not Duncan Keith for goodness sake. If Duncan Keith did this today, then he would get 7-12 games suspension because he is a repeat offender. It was not the brightest thing that Nyquist did, but it was not an intentional attack on the player. It was a sudden reactional hit when someone hits you from behind. Nyquist thought the player was much closer to him and when he wildly raised his stick, it looked worse than it did.

Did Nyquist injured this player's eye to where he is blurred vision? NO
Did Nyquist break this player's jaw in his actions? NO
Did the player miss the rest of the game due to Nyquist hit? NO
Is the player going to miss the rest of the season due to Nyquist hit? NO

The player got a cut, got stiched up and at the start of the 2nd period, he was back on the ice and he did not miss a shift and played the rest of the game with no problems or issues.

Sure the NHL board of safety will review this with Nyquist, that is a given. He will not get no 10-15 games suspension for this. Nyquist is a first time offender in the first place. I'm sure he will get fined for this. Will he get suspended for this? If he does, he will get 1-2 games at the most.

If the player missed the rest of the game, or was going to miss games due to this hit, then I could see the NHL suspending Nyquist for several games for his actions.

Look what happened in Washington when Backstrom took out Ericsson. He hit Ericsson in a vunerable position to where Ericsson could not protect himself and he was a couple of feet away from the boards and when Backstrom hit him borderline from behind to where Ericsson could not brace himself in time and he ended up breaking his wrist and he is done for the season, but yet the NHL did not even do a review on that hit at all. Backstrom gets a minor penalty and a "I'm so sorry" to Ericsson for his actions. Which is worse?

Last edited:

Suavecito

Oct 8, 2016
Milwaukee
Hitting from behind is pretty damn low, but using your stick as a weapon is even worse.

Gus will get probably 6 to 8 games, and he deserves it.

I do agree however that this team is soft, and from time to time our smaller less physical guys get targeted by opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad