Nyquist suspended six games for high stick (Post 139)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Watched the replay 30 times trying to understand Nyquist, looking for an excuse like he claimed: there is none. NBC had one of the best comments, he just lost it. Stupid detail in my own brain is I think he freaked out and may be was targeting the side of the head and missed. He seem shocked the instant it happened, pretty weird.

The Wings were on great shift before this, puck was in the zone for over 30 seconds. Z shot the puck towards the net which Gus missed. He turned and banged his stick pretty hard before going to to that side of the ice, may be he was already pissed off. Anyways looks really bad for him may be he should just admit he flipped out. :(

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Just ignore the fact the guy tried to face plant nyquist into the boards right before that I say good. Teams have been doing nothing but cheap shotting the wings from Webber to this guy to the guy that took Ericson out. Should be just a fine.

Your bias is ridiculous, dude. It's always the refs, and our guys can do no wrong.

There is no defending of what Gus did.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
To be honest I want the suspension to last the rest of the season just for the sake of us falling as far as possible in the standings

Do I think that will happen? No. Probably 5 games.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I hope he gets 10 games

anything to continue the slide is good

JE out for the season
howard setback
nyquist 10 games and not back till after the TDL

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
To be honest I want the suspension to last the rest of the season just for the sake of us falling as far as possible in the standings

Do I think that will happen? No. Probably 5 games.

Only question I have in my head is, do I care how many games he gets. And I'm coming up with, nope I don't care.

Anywhere from 3-7 would be my guess, anyway. I've seen many cheap shots give a lot less then you'd imagine over the years, and it's a precedent that has allowed real dirtbags to stay around for way too long. I somehow doubt Nyquist is about the change the precedent, but if he does then good for the league.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Five game suspension takes us into March. Doubt they had any intention of trading him, but if they did nobody will probably see him again before the deadline.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Watched the replay 30 times trying to understand Nyquist, looking for an excuse like he claimed: there is none. NBC had one of the best comments, he just lost it. Stupid detail in my own brain is I think he freaked out and may be was targeting the side of the head and missed. He seem shocked the instant it happened, pretty weird.

The only thing that got in the way was the the glass. How much did that change the outcome of him swinging his stick is unknown, but even then it still looked like he was aiming high.

League should send a message, 10 games.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He'll get less than 10.

He should get like 30+. Attacking a player with a stick should cost you a significant portion of the season and salary. NHL suspensions have always been weak as hell... Unless you're Avery and bad mouth your ex girlfriend. Then you're suspended "indefinitely".

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What a weird play. Very out of character for Nyquist and then you can immediately see the "oh ****, what did I do" moment on his face. He goes from sadistic to remorseful in a span of 3 seconds.

I think 5 games is fair for a guy that has pretty much no other dirty history in his entire career.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really, where? The movie Slapshot? :laugh: The replay looks like Nyquist was going to carve his face for christmas dinner.

Just the high profile things that immediately come to mind...McSorely. There was another stick swinging incident after him, I think, that was worse. Chelios nailing Propp with a forearm to the head and into the glass was nasty. Lepuke? Fischer playing dentist on Westcott's face in the finals.

Honestly, it seems like there's something exceptionally dirty every year that gets everyone up in arms, the league hands out a suspension, people complain it was too long/short, and then it goes away to be repeated a again a 6-12 months later.

None of this excuses Nyquist's actions, obviously.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Bad play by Nyquist. Maybe he means to hit him somewhere else than the face, but the fact they are both standing relatively still... It looks bad.

It is Bad.

Deserves a good suspension. I would be fine with just about any number.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Anyone else curious about the bigger picture here?

I mean, Nyquist isn't know to do anything like this at all. Sure he seemed shocked as soon as contact was made but it's just as obvious that he lost his cool and acted out in pure anger.

Stress is getting to these guys. We've heard what feels like to me more rumblings then I can remember about attitudes in the locker room. They see the writing on the wall, they know theyre the team that ends the streak. Can't be a fun locker room environment right now at all.

None of that is an excuse at any level for his actions though. But I do think it's a piece of a much larger picture we're not privy too.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
NHL suspensions have always been weak as hell... Unless you're Avery and bad mouth your ex girlfriend. Then you're suspended "indefinitely".
I mean sure, when you say that with no context, it looks bad. But Avery went out of his way to make sure a camera was present before he made that comment when he had already been previously warned by the league that behaviour like that wasn't acceptable. And "indefinitely" ended up being 6 games, you make it sound like it was never lifted.

As to Nyquist, I think it will be around 10 games, but if it ends up being more I wouldn't complain. That is a nasty play that has no place in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad