Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

RedWingsNow*

“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”

I want Babcock fired ASAP:laugh:

Can someone tell me what it is Tatar didn't do to "grab a hold" of his spot?

RedWingsNow*

What's funny is he believes that.

And can't stand people who BS like Babcock does and expect people to believe it

Babcock talks like a middle aged man who spends too much time on his Harley

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Tell that to Brunner, arguably the teams worst defensive forward... and yet he plays in just as many key defensive situations as anyone.

Painfully obvious here that Babcock plays favorites. It is what it is I guess, but it's very unfortunate.

It would seem Nyquist isn't one of them. Would love to see him traded to the Sabres.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I want Babcock fired ASAP:laugh:

Can someone tell me what it is Tatar didn't do to "grab a hold" of his spot?

I think you covered this in your Mike "Size Queen" Babcock rant. :laugh:

My guess at what he thinks - Mike Babcock: Tatar and Nyquist get the puck and they are looking for options trying to do cute little plays. This isn't what I want, high off the glass or directly to Cleary those are the options and it worries me to put them on the ice because when they don't do this they also aren't large big body guys. So I can't trust them, Andy does these things plus he has the pictures of me as the other teletubby at the Grand Rapids party obviously the other guys forgot it happened cannot let the Wife find out, Andy's got to play.

I am seriously pretty done with Babs, he is a good coach but he has lost it and he has to have lost the room. If not when it changes a little because it has to, do you think guys like Smith, Kindl, Tatar, Nyquist aren't going to harbor a little ill will when this all shakes out? I sure do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To be fair to Babcock, he did call him a real good player.

Means less when he does it with Cleary, Abdelkader, Lashoff, and Andersson. If anything being lumped into the realgood player instead of the important player is a bad thing in Mike Babcock's book. Notice Filppula, Ericsson, and Franzen are important players that is the step above real good. Then you have star players, cannot tell whether he thinks Kronwall and Howard are examples of an important player or your star players need to be your best players and hardest workers speech. But those are the levels, I think we all hope Tatar and Nyquist are important players and not real good players.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
mike-babcock-2009-6-8-15-24-1.jpg

"Gotchya realgud there guys, didn't I?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It would seem Nyquist ins't one of them. Would love to see him traded to the Sabres.

Babcock is extremely short-sighted. He only looks at the next game, who can give him the best chance to win it for him. That's fine. The problem is that this team needs to look way beyond this season already, infuse some youth(that is SKILLED), and get the long term gains. You can't shorten the adjustment period simply by letting the kids age. Nyquist can play at 75% capacity in the minors and get away with it because he's dominant there. No matter if he helps Detroit or not this season he's not going to develop any further playing against that competition. He's not necessarily going to get worse, but he's not going to get better either.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Babcock is extremely short-sighted. He only looks at the next game, who can give him the best chance to win it for him. That's fine. The problem is that this team needs to look way beyond this season already, infuse some youth(that is SKILLED), and get the long term gains. You can't shorten the adjustment period simply by letting the kids age. Nyquist can play at 75% capacity in the minors and get away with it because he's dominant there. No matter if he helps Detroit or not this season he's not going to develop any further playing against that competition. He's not necessarily going to get worse, but he's not going to get better either.

Having watched them in person of course Nyquist was gone but Tatar was there this weekend and then last night against Peoria on the net. Those two are beginning to show a little frustration and show what be can described as bad habits from lack of caring at that level. They have started trying things and floating at times that aren't great and weren't things I saw them do a whole bunch earlier. I am not sure they will get worse, but there was almost no spark in either guy last night which is beyond unusual. Maybe having the two of them in the same place for the first time in a month led to a what more to we have to do discussion? Sure looked like it at times last night, could have just been an off game, but I think from hearing their intermission interviews and other things it is really starting to wear on both guys.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”
That's such a load of BS, it's not even funny anymore.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's such a load of BS, it's not even funny anymore.

Yup, being jerked around and treated unfairly hasn't been a part of being a Red Wings player for a long time. This is an organization that likes to point out how classy they treat their players, the opposite is forming on how they treat their prospects.

Go ride a bus for six hours that is how you become a Red Wings player, please that sounds awful. Z and Datsyuk won't allow us to tank into the top 10 but if we did somebody might Lindros us out of this concern at this point.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think you covered this in your Mike "Size Queen" Babcock rant. :laugh:

My guess at what he thinks - Mike Babcock: Tatar and Nyquist get the puck and they are looking for options trying to do cute little plays. This isn't what I want, high off the glass or directly to Cleary those are the options and it worries me to put them on the ice because when they don't do this they also aren't large big body guys. So I can't trust them, Andy does these things plus he has the pictures of me as the other teletubby at the Grand Rapids party obviously the other guys forgot it happened cannot let the Wife find out, Andy's got to play.

I am seriously pretty done with Babs, he is a good coach but he has lost it and he has to have lost the room. If not when it changes a little because it has to, do you think guys like Smith, Kindl, Tatar, Nyquist aren't going to harbor a little ill will when this all shakes out? I sure do.
The thing that's frustrating me is Nyquist is not the type of player who is going to make things happen by forcing them. Maybe he could do better on the backcheck and work a little harder on winning battles, but the meat and potatoes of his game is making smart reads and subtle little passes. It's not like Gus can just turn on the jets and become the player he's supposed to be.

He needs a bit of time to figure out how to play a highly creative, highly IQ-oriented game against the best in the world and that won't happen overnight. Babcock seems to expect it to. I think it's possible that we're realizing an ugly fact: defensively-oriented "motivator" type coaches are notoriously bad at developing young players, particularly young offensive players. There's a reason "player coaches" exist, and it's for this very reason: some guys need a little time and their coach's trust to develop properly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The thing that's frustrating me is Nyquist is not the type of player who is going to make things happen by forcing them. Maybe he could do better on the backcheck and work a little harder on winning battles, but the meat and potatoes of his game is making smart reads and subtle little passes. It's not like Gus can just turn on the jets and become the player he's supposed to be.

He needs a bit of time to figure out how to play a highly creative, highly IQ-oriented game against the best in the world and that won't happen overnight. Babcock seems to expect it to. I think it's possible that we're realizing an ugly fact: defensively-oriented "motivator" type coaches are notoriously bad at developing young players, particularly young offensive players. There's a reason "player coaches" exist, and it's for this very reason: some guys need a little time and their coach's trust to develop properly.

What should really scare Babcock is the guy sitting next to him on the bench has that reputation and Blashill down in Grand Rapids is developing into someone that the hockey world views as great with young talent from his stops with the Indianapolis Ice, Western Michigan and now Grand Rapids.

He might want to think about doing it before it is too late.

To borrow from the lockout Andersson, Cleary, and Lashoff are the hill Babcock will die on, hopefully he blinks like the NHL did on that line.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think Babcock wants to get the best assessment of him to determine his value when they have to resign him at the end of the season. And maybe as well if he will be valuable in the playoffs.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What should really scare Babcock is the guy sitting next to him on the bench has that reputation and Blashill down in Grand Rapids

I don't think Babcock has any fear about losing this job. He knows that he's much closer to the end than the beginning with this organization. Coaches don't stick around forever with the same club and he's said that himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad