Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That's such a load of BS, it's not even funny anymore.

I agree ChadS.

Telling Nyquist he will have to take a bus out there and sleep on it, and learn to live rough etc etc.

I agree. It is not at all needed. Grab your chance? With what 9 minutes tonight until Eaves comes back?

He shouldn't be saying things like this to the media.

I have a feeling this is what they have told BOTH Nyquist and Tatar:

"Well done Tatar. You will have a good place on this team next year. We would also like you to enjoy a playoff run in Grand Rapids this year. And next year you will have a "real good" chance to make the team full-time."

"Nyquist, you have done a great job in Grand Rapids. We will use you as a call up for injuries this year. All we want you to do is fill in this year. Play as safe as possible, we need the wins. Next year, we will use you in a more offensive role and you will have a "real good" chance to make the team full-time."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree ChadS.

Telling Nyquist he will have to take a bus out there and sleep on it, and learn to live rough etc etc.

I agree. It is not at all needed. Grab your chance? With what 9 minutes tonight until Eaves comes back?

He shouldn't be saying things like this to the media.

I have a feeling this is what they have told BOTH Nyquist and Tatar:

"Well done Tatar. You will have a good place on this team next year. We would also like you to enjoy a playoff run in Grand Rapids this year. And next year you will have a "real good" chance to make the team full-time."

"Nyquist, you have done a great job in Grand Rapids. We will use you as a call up for injuries this year. All we want you to do is fill in this year. Play as safe as possible, we need the wins. Next year, we will use you in a more offensive role and you will have a "real good" chance to make the team full-time."

And do you think either Tatar or Nyquist believe a word of it? Like I have said before you should listen to the interviews where they come back during their first games. The one last night with Gus and the one with Tatar a couple weeks ago had a different tone, even if they said a lot of the right things, the frustration was leaping out. The confusion and basically lack of trust was there and it is alarming.

They still dream of Red Wings, but are getting much closer to dreaming of just being NHL players we are close to breaking them and that will hurt us even if they do stick around when negotiations hit.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
And do you think either Tatar or Nyquist believe a word of it. Like I have said before you should listen to the interviews where they come back during their first games. The one last night with Gus and the one with Tatar a couple weeks ago had a different tone, even if they said a lot of the right things, the frustration was leaping out. The confusion and basically lack of trust was there and it is alarming.

Oh I am not justifying what they are doing.

I honestly am upset FOR tatar and nyquist.

Leave them the F. down there.

I still have no idea why Tatar was sent down.

It is clear that "eaves" or whoever lost his job to tatar over the last month.

Sad thing is Eaves/Miller are not bad players... But they should be in competition with abdelkader and emmerton.

NOT with Tatar and Nyquist who are both WAY better than all 4 listed above.

If they have had a good conversation with these guys saying, look, don't try to prove yourselves. This is about helping out the big club this year. We need to get some players off the books for you next year. Then that would at least be undestandable. But when you say "earn" your spot. **** YOU. Tatar earned it and more. Tatar is one of the best players on the team you jack arses! And if you want to prove to me he is a liability, play him in the top 6 and let him SCREW UP to be sent down. Not the other way around.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Sorry, too slow on the Kahn article. Babcock is pretty clear on what he wants from him in there, though.

If Gus doesn't impress Babs this time around, I would not be surprised if he ends up on the block.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry, too slow on the Kahn article. Babcock is pretty clear on what he wants from him in there, though.

If Gus doesn't impress Babs this time around, I would not be surprised if he ends up on the block.

Double speak and horse****. Andersson didn't out show Tatar, Nyquist had an impressive turn last year and is leading the AHL in scoring. Might want to give that guy a chance and a real one not this couple game garbage and minimal role. They can put Nyquist or Tatar on the block we have good winger depth in the prospect pool but they better get something very good for these guys.

Babcock plays favorites and I am tired of it. Nyquist pots a goal tonight he is going to talk about what Andy did on the play. This is becoming clear, grab the spot in one game, please and do it after busing around for back to back games. He doesn't hold others to these ridiculous standards.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sorry for being negative today, but I have had it, these Nyquist lines are the final straw on Babcock double speak. Guy is a hypocrite and a favoritism coach. Not going to sit around and not call this for what it is, these comments are complete bull****.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
These one game showcases that Nyquist has received this year are flawed to begin with from an evaluation standpoint.

Look no further than Tatar. It took him about 3 consecutive games to finally break out of his shell. Only then did we start to see the real Tatar - a kid with confidence who was calling for the puck every time he was on the ice - rather than the kid who looked like he just didn't want to mess up for his first couple of games.

Giving a player, especially a skilled player who's game revolves around possessing to puck, can't be evaluated by giving him one game in at a time.

Look at what happened once Kindl was actually given a chance to play without the worry of being scratched for every single mistake. Kindl himself has recently stated that the confidence grows when you're actually given a shot to play.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think Babcock wants to get the best assessment of him to determine his value when they have to resign him at the end of the season. And maybe as well if he will be valuable in the playoffs.

The best way to evaluate a player is by giving him a game here and a game there with different linemates in the same game? :skeptic::dunno:

Aug 6, 2012
Sorry for being negative today, but I have had it, these Nyquist lines are the final straw on Babcock double speak. Guy is a hypocrite and a favoritism coach. Not going to sit around and not call this for what it is, these comments are complete bull****.

No need to apologize, welcome to the club!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wait, so Babcock is able to send players down and call them up without the consent of Ken Holland?

He has more input than I think a lot of people are really saying. He gets to keep Lashoff and Andersson after all. I am not saying he is the only one making the decision but once they are here it appears to be his call and how they get used is up to him.

Babcock has that right, but we are heading towards maybe Holland saying this is guy is going to play and here and it is going to get very ugly.

andresdrw

It's The System
Feb 18, 2008
Babcock is extremely short-sighted. He only looks at the next game, who can give him the best chance to win it for him. That's fine. The problem is that this team needs to look way beyond this season already, infuse some youth(that is SKILLED), and get the long term gains. You can't shorten the adjustment period simply by letting the kids age. Nyquist can play at 75% capacity in the minors and get away with it because he's dominant there. No matter if he helps Detroit or not this season he's not going to develop any further playing against that competition. He's not necessarily going to get worse, but he's not going to get better either.

That's absurd. A coach who sacrifices short term gain for long term success is going to get fired unless directed to do so by the GM/Ownership.

No coach in the world is going to plug in prospects solely for their long term development when the shelf life of an NHL coach is as long as that of a Mayfly.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Babcock has that right, but we are heading towards maybe Holland saying this is guy is going to play and here and it is going to get very ugly.
I think this is what's going on. It could be that on the case of Tatar/Nyquist, we actually agree with Holland who disagrees with Babcock. It would explain why Tatar and Nyquist are getting shuffled around like this. If Babcock won't play Tatar, maybe he'll play Nyquist, and so on.

I'm interested to see what happens this offseason. At the very least, the organization seems a little unsure of itself right now. That's an uncommon thing to see from the Wings.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Welcome to the dark side, my friend.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That's absurd. A coach who sacrifices short term gain for long term success is going to get fired unless directed to do so by the GM/Ownership.

First of all, I'm almost positive it won't sacrifice any short term success in reality, because Nyquist and Tatar are equally good or better than Eaves and Miller.

And secondly, this part is just as much on Holland/Ownership as it is on Babcock, even if I wasn't being clear. Detroit doesn't accept losing, Babcock doesn't accept losing. Short term or long term. I'm sure Kenny and Babs have daily roster discussions, so they're both to blame.

No coach in the world is going to plug in prospects solely for their long term development when the shelf life of an NHL coach is as long as that of a Mayfly.

That's what I'm saying. That's our problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad