Confirmed with Link: Nyquist re-signed for 4 years

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It doesn't actually. He'll be 29 when it expires, and he'll be up for a big UFA summer if he manages his cards right.

Yeah, but when the season starts he will be 30. What has Holland always said, prime years are between 28-32, so he wont have that many "prime years" left.
To me it's a little bit of a gamble on his part as far as contract length goes. But knowing the NHL I'm sure teams will offer long term deals that takes a player to damn near 37 years old.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
4.75 x 4? My guess was 4.8 x 5, I was pretty close.

I'm glad they went longer than 2 or 3 years. I like this deal, glad they got it done. 5 or 6 years would have been optimum, but certainly not unhappy with 4.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, but when the season starts he will be 30. What has Holland always said, prime years are between 28-32, so he wont have that many "prime years" left.
To me it's a little bit of a gamble on his part as far as contract length goes. But knowing the NHL I'm sure teams will offer long term deals that takes a player to damn near 37 years old.

I don't envision Nyquist as a "give me money I'm the best, I'm going to leave for a half million more" kind of a guy.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Def too much money. Guy hasnt even scored 30 goals and is one of the most easiest guys to bump off the puck. He better go to the datsyuk school of SnC.

This means tatars next deal should be for minimum of 5.5m or 6m aav.....minimum.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
and many, if not most, if not all of those years are most likely to be his post-prime years... only thing i don't like about this.

I can see the case for only keeping Nyquist until he's 30, and then let him go before he gets real expensive. Only time can tell exactly how important he will be for this team.

Actual Thought*

4.75 x 4? My guess was 4.8 x 5, I was pretty close.

I'm glad they went longer than 2 or 3 years. I like this deal, glad they got it done. 5 or 6 years would have been optimum, but certainly not unhappy with 4.

It's a happy medium! Let's all sing Kubaya!

I am fine with 4 years though. Hope he earns the deal.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Enh. I don't think this is a bad deal, but I don't think it's a great one either. I went in thinking 3 years and 4.5 AAV was best and it ended up being 4 years and 4.75.

The things I like most about it are:

1) That it may provide a sort of internal comparator for Tatar's deal in a couple years and

2) That 4.75 mil of cap space in 2017, 18 or 19 could be a significantly smaller portion of the cap than it is in 2016.

The things I like least about it is the full NTCs in the final two years. This deal effectively now carries all the risk of a longer term deal should Nyquist falter, just without the benefit of being able to get out from under it if he does.

Anyway, it locks up a good player for a non-insignificant term, so if he's as consistent as he's been in most of his years there's not a ton of downside.

Edit: And, not for nothing, but we're maybe one more bad playoffs away from starting to think maybe that's actually a 'thing' with him. 1 or 2 you can write off to experience, development, whatever. If he goes silent in his first three... it's something that should start to be pondered.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I don't envision Nyquist as a "give me money I'm the best, I'm going to leave for a half million more" kind of a guy.

Well neither do I but it is a business at the end of the day. Just more surprised he gave the Wings that additional year at the cap hit.

Actual Thought*

Does the signing bonus apply to the cap? What is his hit this year and how much cap do we have left?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does the signing bonus apply to the cap? What is his hit this year and how much cap do we have left?

His caphit is 4.75 for this year, and then the remainder of the contract.

If I'm not mistaken we have to only have like ~1 mil left in cap space?

Actual Thought*

Jurco and Pulks are scrapping for the crumbs on the floor if that's the case. Franzen must not be playing would be my guess.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

I think we're around 1.7 mil with 12/7/2.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

With Mr. Wuest (RIP) not around it gets a little bit harder every year to follow the salary cap for each team.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco and Pulks are scrapping for the crumbs on the floor if that's the case. Franzen must not be playing would be my guess.

I'm guessing we go over the cap, sign Jurco and Pulkkinen, and then either LTIR Franzen before the season, or waive someone?

I really doubt we trade someone, but that's also a possibility.

Probably someone like Andersson/Ferraro/Kindl gets waived.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I'm guessing we go over the cap, sign Jurco and Pulkkinen, and then either LTIR Franzen before the season, or waive someone?

I really doubt we trade someone, but that's also a possibility.

Probably someone like Andersson/Ferraro/Kindl gets waived.

Don't forget Cleary now, gotta save room for him

Aug 6, 2012
This forces Holland to make a move, doesn't it? From what I've heard, Franzen sounds like he'll be good to go to so I don't think LTIR is an option. Knowing Dats tho he'll probably got placed on it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With Mr. Wuest (RIP) not around it gets a little bit harder every year to follow the salary cap for each team.

He was a sweet, sweet angel.

generalfanager.com has us at -500k cap space with this signing. I'm not really sure what to believe, to be honest.

Also saw this:

Who knows, man.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I'll just repost what I said on the main board:

This deal is a lose-lose for Detroit. It's a 4 year deal at a decent term that makes Nyquist a free agent at age 30.

Let's say he improves and gets better (I'm not sure how much better he's gonna get considering he's 26 and has played over 200 games at the NHL level). Detroit then has to cough up at least 6.5 million +. That would mean one of Detroit's highest paid players is a winger which we all know is the least important position on the ice. What great asset and cap management right there. This also means Detroit is going to be paying lots of money to a player soon exiting his prime. Again, great asset management.

On the flip side, he becomes a UFA in 4 years, and his price is too high, or he regresses so Detroit lets him walk for nothing. Now Detroit lost a decent player when they could have traded him for a Top 4 dman that Detroit desperately needs.

Like I said, it's a lose-lose situation.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Def too much money. Guy hasnt even scored 30 goals and is one of the most easiest guys to bump off the puck. He better go to the datsyuk school of SnC.

This means tatars next deal should be for minimum of 5.5m or 6m aav.....minimum.
Yikes. This is just out to lunch.

29 goals is a ton in today's NHL, and Tatar isn't much better than Nyquist (if at all). I don't understand the mancrush on Tatar and yet the slamming of Nyquist, but we see that on here pretty frequently. Tatar had a better season, but Nyquist has shown that he can do more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad