Speculation: Nylander X - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
If a young RD with top pair upside or who is a top RD is not available, this is the next option I want. I want a Hamonic or Kessel type of deal (two firsts + 2nd).

As long as they go to the right team, they will get at least to make 4 first round selections over the next few years to really make a top prospect pool and then they can use that capitol to address future needs or to make a "win now" move if the team looks to be legit one year.

Worst case scenario Nylander explodes and those are late firsts. Best case scenario they are at worst 15-20 OA or maybe they finish 14th and win the lottery

Realistically is Nylander going to possibly net two firsts? I only watch the Lesfs when they play the wings so that's half as far as I've seen his sampling size

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This has been really bizarre.

High-profile team, player with really no leverage and nothing has come out in the press in months

Guess credit goes to everyone involved, just weird in a world where social media itches to get news out first that there’s been no news revealed at all.

he does have leverage and he is using all the leverage he has. He is going to get screwed out of a big contract, and you can tell by how they are leaning towards marner and matthews.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He has a team in first place in the league without you playing a game - a team on which you are arguably the 6th or 7th most important piece - and he hasn't handed out a ridiculous contract.
Yep, let's sweep the number of games played under the rug... unless you meant tied for 6th, which is not bad.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Assuming a $6.5M contract (for example), how much would have Nylander lost in compensation so far? Do players get paid "by game"? Or is it a yearly salary that starts on 7/1 and goes to 6/30 the next year? Or is it pro-rated from when the season starts?
They're paid by day, from the start of the regular seaaon until the end of the regular season.

Unless I've miscalculated, the 2018-19 season is 186 days long.

At $6.5M, that would be a bit less than $35K/day ($34,946.23 to be precise) if that salary does not include a signing bonus

As of today, he would have lost $978,494.

On the other hand, if that $6.5M is $500K more than the Leafs initially offered, assuming a 6 year contract, that would give him a bit more than $2M more over the course of the contract even with that $978K loss.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I think the GM really just has no choice but to stand firm he can’t let this contract negotiation dictate his thoughts of this team. If he gives in then everybody knows it so if Willy doesn’t sign your deal just make him sit.

Reactions: Rants Mulliniks

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Realistically is Nylander going to possibly net two firsts? I only watch the Lesfs when they play the wings so that's half as far as I've seen his sampling size

I think so. People talk about how rare it is for young top D to be moved, but it is basically as rare with young proven top line players with significant upside. Many teams are not in a position to draft these kinds of players or maybe even wait for their draft picks to develop. They might be near the end of their window.

Look at a team like the Wild. They desperately need a star player on their team and a game breaker. Their core is going into their 30's now. Staal is their best player and is getting older. Their firsts are usually mid firsts 10-20 ish. With Nylander they could be a bit later, but they could also be earlier if the stars decline over the next two years.

I think the Leafs make a deal like that and so do the wild. I also think there are several teams in those two spots. Carolina fits the bill even if it raises some questions about the Aho extension and how Nylander factors into it. OR maybe they get a first + a first from last draft that Dubas really likes and is trending well.

Look at the impact a guy like Forsberg had on Nashville. This is the type of impact a team gets with Nylander.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Longest cup drought ever

Laughing stock of the league for decades

And now after watching all these contending teams have their star players take a deal to win, the Leafs FINALLY get a talented roster and according to those on here they will all take the Leafs to the bank and milk them rather than try to win.

How is that not a curse? How does Scheifele and MacKinnnon take those deals but Matthews wants apparently McDavid money?
I would not call making the playoffs with a 28-37-25, 28-40-12, 25-48-7 or 21-49-10 (gasp !) record a curse.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why should he, you, me or anyone else care about good PR ?

Ultimately GM's are fired due to fan pressure. Usually they are hired by ownership so they like them. They work together all the time as the GM reports stuff to the owners and they build a relationship. When a GM is perceived as good, fans will put the blame elsewhere. When a GM is perceived as bad, everything that goes wrong is the GM's fault (I.E Last year in Montreal)

This gives you a ton more job security as you will last longer where ever you are, and are likely to get another offer at some point after if you still had a good enough history. Sakic went from never being allowed in a front office ever again (Colorado ownership offered Dubas the keys to the org and presumably Sakic's job a year before he took over for the Leafs) to being a good GM. This means that if Colorado craps the bed, it will likely be blamed on the coach or something else (off year, etc) rather than the GM.

The fact that Brian Burke got as many jobs as he did speaks to his reputation for being really good at trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad