Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander to Matthews .... Scores! :yo:

Willy is coming back.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Looks like this thing is headed towards the end. Thankfully we won’t see anymore convincing Leafs fans that Nylander for 3 mediocre pieces is better than nothing and that Larsson is a fair trade. Pumped to have Willy back

Reactions: leospaceman3434

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
4 years * 5 mill = 20 mill

We can add two years at 8 million per = 16 million

Total = 6 years and 36 million

Mar 26, 2010
Looks like this thing is headed towards the end. Thankfully we won’t see anymore convincing Leafs fans that Nylander for 3 mediocre pieces is better than nothing and that Larsson is a fair trade. Pumped to have Willy back
No kidding. So tired of that BS!

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Ok. So what about our defense?

Will Nylander venture into the corners during the playoffs this year?

Why would you ever trade Nylander to upgrade defense? Unless you are getting a Jones Werenski or Provorov type you are losing any deal involving Nylander, which is part of the reason why he’s not getting dealt. The other being he’s a fantastic elite winger that every team would die for to have on their team and trading a player like that is stupid

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Strange that you have some reporting a short term deal while others are reporting a long term deal. Both sides have kept a pretty good cone of silence throughout this process. Hard to believe either is opening up just before this is complete. So seems like a lot of speculating still going on. Possibly some guessing to be able to claim they broke the news.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
Each day that passes the future cap hit (years 2+) of the contract drops. A 6 x $6.5 million deal is almost at the point where it would now be a 6 x $6.333 million deal.

If we do sign him now to similar numbers (which is the number everyone predicted he was worth) my guess is that the cause of the hold-up was Dubas. Dubas probably offered a 'low-ball' offer (6 x $6 million or even less) and didn't budge. I think the reason he was so comfortable with this is that he realized the cap benefit that comes the longer the player holds out. I think he really hoped that Nylander would cave but planned to up his offer late-Oct/early-Nov if he hadn't signed (which is what I think is happening now) given a higher offer is not fully reflected in the cap-hit.

A small difference for sure but it is still enough of an advantage that it was worth the risk of trying to get Nylander to sign that initial offer. I think the primary goal was to get Nylander at around $6 million and the intentional fallback was to sign him at a slightly reduced hit by waiting a month into the season. Dubas probably saw it as a win/win-a-bit-less type of scenario.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why would you ever trade Nylander to upgrade defense? Unless you are getting a Jones Werenski or Provorov type you are losing any deal involving Nylander, which is part of the reason why he’s not getting dealt. The other being he’s a fantastic elite winger that every team would die for to have on their team and trading a player like that is stupid

If he is so elite then why would TOR lose in a trade?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Nylander seen this show up infront of his house this morning.

17ovx9n7o9s11.png

Deal should be done tomorrow, 6*6.5

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I'm curious if this has any real impact if he gets payed most of this year's salary as a signing bonus. My guess is not, because it's dependent on him making less money in year 1, but I could be wrong.

No, but if for the next CBA fight we end up with a short season and the league pro-rates earnings, the Leafs would be in serious troubles. Many teams would be in troubles, but the Leafs would be in very very deep.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm curious if this has any real impact if he gets payed most of this year's salary as a signing bonus. My guess is not, because it's dependent on him making less money in year 1, but I could be wrong.

It does. Signing bonus has no impact. He's still getting all his money this year regardless of if there's a signing bonus or not. Which is why the cap hit is lower the following years.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
It does. Signing bonus has no impact. He's still getting all his money this year regardless of if there's a signing bonus or not. Which is why the cap hit is lower the following years.
If he's getting all of his salary, why is there the constant "he's losing $35,000 every day" talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad