Nylander vs Meier

Meier vs nylander

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's only assuming that the players are equal though. Dont forget, you were calling it pro leafs bias that Johnsson had like 20% of the vote vs JvR

Even then, the players are close enough for Meier to get 32.2% of the vote. And Leafs fans are plentiful enough to make up over 1/3 of the vote by themselves.

In the case of Johnsson Vs. JVR, I think it was really just recency bias and an inability for people to separate the players from the contracts.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
There is no way to prove that 1/3 of the voters who selected Meier are dedicated Leafs haters who vote against Maple Leafs players for the sake of doing so. Of course not all Nylander voters are Maple Leafs fans; JoeThorntonsRooster voted for Nylander, and that guy hates the Leafs...

With that said, it just pretty clearly shows that the victim mentality, and that the idea that HF has this agenda to destroy every Maple Leafs player in polls is entirely made up. There are some haters and some fans and sometimes it goes wild in one direction like the Marleau HOF polls or this one, sometimes it goes wild in the other direction like Hedman Vs. Tavares and Pettersson Vs. Matthews. (I’m convinced those were troll votes though)

However, Maple Leafs fans are way too motivated plentiful, and powerful for there to really be some “anti-Leafs agenda” on this website. There are a plethora negative comments about Maple Leafs players, and more votes against them, only because there are a plethora of threads about Maple Leafs players, and polls involving them.

Not sure what poll you’re referencing.

Meier is close to putting up the numbers of Nylander BTW. He’s got 50 even strength points in his last 82 games.

I'm not having a go at you; just genuinely curious. Why are you so obsessed with the Leafs, and in particular, how they are perceived on HF Boards? (Not just in this thread, but many others I see you in.) The Leaf obsession by other fan bases is a very real phenomenon, as you are demonstrating with your actions. Don't you think that if you can get this caught up in "proving" how people perceive the Leafs, others may also be caught up in pushing their opinions about the Leafs as well?

People talk about bias as if it's something that only affects other people, but it's obvious that it affects all of us to varying degrees. Trying to quantify if the levels of bias for and against a particular team seems like a fruitless effort.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not having a go at you; just genuinely curious. Why are you so obsessed with the Leafs, and in particular, how they are perceived on HF Boards? (Not just in this thread, but many others I see you in.) The Leaf obsession by other fan bases is a very real phenomenon, as you are demonstrating with your actions. Don't you think that if you can get this caught up in "proving" how people perceive the Leafs, others may also be caught up in pushing their opinions about the Leafs as well?

People talk about bias as if it's something that only affects other people, but it's obvious that it affects all of us to varying degrees. Trying to quantify if the levels of bias for and against a particular team seems like a fruitless effort.

Because it is literally the defining quality of HFBoards. Leafs fans in the main boards talking about how everybody hates them and how they are the victim. It appears in literally any thread about any player. Make a thread about Leon Draisaitl, and by page 3, there will be Leafs fans talking about how Matthews is so hated and treated unfairly by HF.

In addition, as an American, I am particularly irritated by seeing people who are in a place of strong privilege that insist they are victims.

It’s really not a fruitless effort either. I’ve shown through countless polls that when a Maple Leafs player changes teams without any other significant changes occurring, their stock in polls generally stagnates or improves. The only one that I have ever seen otherwise in is the Hedman Vs. Tavares poll, but the issue there is that Tavares did undergo a significant change.

Plus, it’s a fun discussion.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Because it is literally the defining quality of HFBoards. Leafs fans in the main boards talking about how everybody hates them and how they are the victim. It appears in literally any thread about any player. Make a thread about Leon Draisaitl, and by page 3, there will be Leafs fans talking about how Matthews is so hated and treated unfairly by HF.

In addition, as an American, I am particularly irritated by seeing people who are in a place of strong privilege that insist they are victims.

It’s really not a fruitless effort either. I’ve shown through countless polls that when a Maple Leafs player changes teams without any other significant changes occurring, their stock in polls generally stagnates or improves. The only one that I have ever seen otherwise in is the Hedman Vs. Tavares poll, but the issue there is that Tavares did undergo a significant change.

Plus, it’s a fun discussion.

Thanks for the reply. I can't say that I agree with you, but at least you are clear on your motivation. There are lots of opinions I disagree with on HF Boards, but trying to campaign against any one misconception seems a bit obsessive to me. I feel that when anyone focuses on one negative trait, confirmation bias tends to make it seem like more of an issue than it really is. Just like you are drawn to those claiming anti-Leaf bias, there are those who are drawn to all the anti-Leaf comments. When you are (consciously or subconsciously) looking for examples to support your viewpoint, you will find it. It doesn't matter what that belief is. Look hard enough and convince yourself that it's there, and you'll find "proof." (Even Flat Earthers have "proof" of their beliefs.)

And I do agree with one point of yours: it is a fun discussion. I'm sometimes more fascinated by these differences in how people think than the talk about hockey on this site...

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the reply. I can't say that I agree with you, but at least you are clear on your motivation. There are lots of opinions I disagree with on HF Boards, but trying to campaign against any one misconception seems a bit obsessive to me. I feel that when anyone focuses on one negative trait, confirmation bias tends to make it seem like more of an issue than it really is. Just like you are drawn to those claiming anti-Leaf bias, there are those who are drawn to all the anti-Leaf comments. When you are (consciously or subconsciously) looking for examples to support your viewpoint, you will find it. It doesn't matter what that belief is. Look hard enough and convince yourself that it's there, and you'll find "proof." (Even Flat Earthers have "proof" of their beliefs.)

And I do agree with one point of yours: it is a fun discussion. I'm sometimes more fascinated by these differences in how people think than the talk about hockey on this site...

I am not particularly campaigning against any one misconception...I spend quite a bit of time on this forum and the majority of my posts are made on the Sharks forum. There are other misconceptions that I feel exist there that I much more frequently try to disprove than the anti-Leafs bias.

Again, I can understand that there are plenty of people on the site who hate Toronto and blindly vote against their players. I totally get that. But they don’t outweigh the massive volume of Toronto fans on this forum who blindly vote for their own players.

I would expect an outsider (like, outsider from hockey entirely) who reads this forum, and has no knowledge of hockey, to conclude after reading all of the threads on the main boards, that Toronto is easily the best team in the NHL and that they won the last few Stanley Cups. In reality, they are one of the NHL’s elite up and coming teams, but they still haven’t won a single playoff round since the lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad