Nylander vs Meier

Meier vs nylander

• Total voters

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
oh.

this is actually difficult.. Idk. I'm leaning towards Nylander but Meier has taken really big strides in his development.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
What today has taught me more than anything else is that HF has an extreme recency bias in these polls.

In an HF poll, the only thing that trumps the player who scored most recently is the mystery box.

Meier does bring some things to the table that Nylander doesn't. I don't think it trumps the skill difference though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Welcome to a Leafs player poll. Willie would've lost to a mannequin bc reasons.

No, not convinced it has anything to do with the Leafs when Marner just crushed Kessel and Marcus Sorensen just slaughtered James Neal. Seems more like HF polls are now just based on who is doing better this season and nothing else.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In an HF poll, the only thing that trumps the player who scored most recently is the mystery box.

Meier does bring some things to the table that Nylander doesn't. I don't think it trumps the skill difference though.

Apparently, as seen in the Marner Vs. Kessel thread where Marner is the mystery box and the guy who has scored most recently.

The other thing to consider is that HF (and the hockey community in general, including GMs) vastly overrates physicality. If two players have the exact same impact, but one of them does it through physicality, while the other does it through finesse, the player who does it through physicality will win.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No, not convinced it has anything to do with the Leafs when Marner just crushed Kessel and Marcus Sorensen just slaughtered James Neal. Seems more like HF polls are now just based on who is doing better this season and nothing else.
James Neal is a bum on a horrible contract, I don't see the issue with Sorensen winning that poll?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
James Neal is a bum on a horrible contract, I don't see the issue with Sorensen winning that poll?

The poll doesn’t take contracts into account and James Neal has a history of being a prolific goal scorer while Sorensen was playing in the AHL last year as a 25 year old.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Apparently, as seen in the Marner Vs. Kessel thread where Marner is the mystery box and the guy who has scored most recently.

The other thing to consider is that HF (and the hockey community in general, including GMs) vastly overrates physicality. If two players have the exact same impact, but one of them does it through physicality, while the other does it through finesse, the player who does it through physicality will win.

Ironically, I would take Marner in that poll. Having watched both Kessel and Marner for hundreds of games I believe that the two most valuable attributes, (IMO) hockey IQ & compete level, are in Marner's favour. But that's a discussion better left for the correct thread.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The poll doesn’t take contracts into account and James Neal has a history of being a prolific goal scorer while Sorensen was playing in the AHL last year as a 25 year old.
I can guarantee you that Neal will never be that prolific goal scorer in Calgary. He's not the same player anymore imo

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

100% correct.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If you need a line driver or someone to carry a a line offensively, probably Nylander but put with the right guys, I could see TM being a better fit and higher impact player.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Welcome to a Leafs player poll. Willie would've lost to a mannequin bc reasons.

Yeah, and now that we have a bigger sample size, it’s pretty clear how these polls work.

I just counted and there are 26 Leafs fans who voted for Nylander. That’s more than half of the votes for Nylander and the same exact number of votes for Meier.

So, even if every single vote for Meier was just done entirely out of “Anti-Leafs bias”, the number of votes from Maple Leafs fans still cancels that out.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Personally I would take the player that does things through finesse. More longevity, health, and consistency from year to year.

I fully agree. The physical player will have to prove that he fully outclasses the finesse player.
A player in this comparison, went against another player, who is not in this poll and more physical.
That physical player does very well, but never reached the numbers of the finesse player, on both sides
of the puck and lost.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
1/3 of them definitely are, and not all Nylander voters are Leaf fans. NaslusMarkand....c'mon.

There is no way to prove that 1/3 of the voters who selected Meier are dedicated Leafs haters who vote against Maple Leafs players for the sake of doing so. Of course not all Nylander voters are Maple Leafs fans; JoeThorntonsRooster voted for Nylander, and that guy hates the Leafs...

With that said, it just pretty clearly shows that the victim mentality, and that the idea that HF has this agenda to destroy every Maple Leafs player in polls is entirely made up. There are some haters and some fans and sometimes it goes wild in one direction like the Marleau HOF polls or this one, sometimes it goes wild in the other direction like Hedman Vs. Tavares and Pettersson Vs. Matthews. (I’m convinced those were troll votes though)

However, Maple Leafs fans are way too motivated plentiful, and powerful for there to really be some “anti-Leafs agenda” on this website. There are a plethora negative comments about Maple Leafs players, and more votes against them, only because there are a plethora of threads about Maple Leafs players, and polls involving them.

I fully agree. The physical player will have to prove that he fully outclasses the finesse player.
A player in this comparison, went against another player, who is not in this poll and more physical.
That physical player does very well, but never reached the numbers of the finesse player, on both sides
of the puck and lost.

Not sure what poll you’re referencing.

Meier is close to putting up the numbers of Nylander BTW. He’s got 50 even strength points in his last 82 games.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah, and now that we have a bigger sample size, it’s pretty clear how these polls work.

I just counted and there are 26 Leafs fans who voted for Nylander. That’s more than half of the votes for Nylander and the same exact number of votes for Meier.

So, even if every single vote for Meier was just done entirely out of “Anti-Leafs bias”, the number of votes from Maple Leafs fans still cancels that out.
That's only assuming that the players are equal though. Dont forget, you were calling it pro leafs bias that Johnsson had like 20% of the vote vs JvR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->