Nylander vs. Larkin

Who's the Better Player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This really isnt close, and that doesnt mean Nylander isnt great but Larkin is really something.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you would have actually looked into the advanced metrics....Draisatl without McDavid amounts to a player that barely cracks 50 points. Someone made a nice thread about it...snoop around.

That explains why Draisaitl outscored Nylander last year despite Drai spending about a third of his time with McDavid. Nylander spent over half his time with Matthews.

As you failed to argue in the Point/Nylander thread, you're again going to fail to argue "Other players benefit from good linemates." Nylander plays with a top three draftee from this decade.

You really want to see a guy who has room to complain about linemates? Larkin's top linemate last year was Tatar. This year it's Nyquist. I'm sure he feels so bad for Nylander having to carry Matthews on his back. :laugh:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The development of Larkin is too hard to ignore this year. Nylander needs to prove he can close that gap before anyone should even consider him here. Leaf fans should know after watching Larkin dominate Tavares and Matthews last week how dominant he has become. Nylander might close the offensive gap production wise but hes not close to the all around player Larkin is. He also has a lot more help offensively around him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I love clicking on impartial fan voting nylander and there are leafs fans in the list.

Give "Impartial Fan voting Larkin" a quick peak, it's a who's who of people who spend far too much of their lives antagonizing Leaf fans. Some Hall of Fame trolls on there right now, and under the guise of "impartial" :laugh:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
That explains why Draisaitl outscored Nylander last year despite Drai spending about a third of his time with McDavid. Nylander spent over half his time with Matthews.

As you failed to argue in the Point/Nylander thread, you're again going to fail to argue "Other players benefit from good linemates." Nylander plays with a top three draftee from this decade.

You really want to see a guy who has room to complain about linemates? Larkin's top linemate last year was Tatar. This year it's Nyquist. I'm sure he feels so bad for Nylander having to carry Matthews on his back. :laugh:

So how do you explain Nylander having such good stats when the Leafs were a terrible team without Matthews and Marner and scoring rates no where close to what they’ve been the last two years? As for Drai, are you equating his time with McDavid 5 on 5 or not counting PP time because that is just plain wrong. I love how you call Nyqvist a scrub when he’s nearly PPG this year and while he never hit the big heights of expecation has at least cracked 40 points on some putrid Red Wings squads.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So how do you explain Nylander having such good stats when the Leafs were a terrible team without Matthews and Marner and scoring rates no where close to what they’ve been the last two years? As for Drai, are you equating his time with McDavid 5 on 5 or not counting PP time because that is just plain wrong. I love how you call Nyqvist a scrub when he’s nearly PPG this year and while he never hit the big heights of expecation has at least cracked 40 points on some putrid Red Wings squads.

1. You really want to go through this circle again? Your sample size of "Nylander having such good stats when the Leafs didn't have Matthews and Marner." is 22 games during which time he put up 13 points.

2. Drai's time with McDavid was 5 on 5 only, as was Nylander's with Matthews. If you really want to include PP time we can... It's a drop in the bucket though as both played with those guys on the PP as well.

3. Actually, I didn't call Nyquist a scrub at all, I merely implicated that he's not even close to the caliber of Matthews or McDavid. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Red Line

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
1. You really want to go through this circle again? Your sample size of "Nylander having such good stats when the Leafs didn't have Matthews and Marner." is 22 games during which time he put up 13 points.

2. Drai's time with McDavid was 5 on 5 only, as was Nylander's with Matthews. If you really want to include PP time we can... It's a drop in the bucket though as both played with those guys on the PP as well.

3. Actually, I didn't call Nyquist a scrub at all, I merely implicated that he's not even close to the caliber of Matthews or McDavid. :thumbu:

1) What were Drai’s stats in his rookie year without McDavid? 9 points in 37 games on a team with Taylor Hall, RNH and other top picks.

2) The Leafs up to this year never really gave their top guys long PP minutes. If you check the stats...Matthews was in the 60’s in the NHL in terms of PP minutes last year, Nylander was close behind and that makes a massive difference.

3) You said Larkin should have the right to complain about his linemates so you weren’t exactly giving Nyqvist a glowing endorsement.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
1) What were Drai’s stats in his rookie year without McDavid? 9 points in 37 games on a team with Taylor Hall, RNH and other top picks.

2) The Leafs up to this year never really gave their top guys long PP minutes. If you check the stats...Matthews was in the 60’s in the NHL in terms of PP minutes last year, Nylander was close behind and that makes a massive difference.

3) You said Larkin should have the right to complain about his linemates so you weren’t exactly giving Nyqvist a glowing endorsement.

1. Yes, and your cute references to small sample sizes in their rookie years are just that. You complained about "Recency bias" while clinging onto a small sample size from when they were 18 and 19 years old respectively. (And yes, that year in age difference their rookie years is important) I don't know what you don't get about the fact that Draisaitl outproduces Nylander despite playing significantly less time with McDavid than Nylander does with Matthews.

Would you also cite MacKinnon's incredibly average first few years to put him in the same league as Nylander? Is he proven to be nothing without Rantanen?

2. All I can say on this one is welcome to Babcock-world lol.

3. Right... Because you're talking about two of the top three players in this decade compared to a guy who in any ideal situation would be a 2nd liner. As I said in the previous thread, Pasta has Marchand and Bergeron, Point has Kucherov, Drai has McDavid, and Nylander has Matthews. Larkin has Nyquist. No disrespect to Nyquist, but he's very clearly the odd man out of that group.

Reactions: Cenzhin

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The absolute irony of @The List Of Jericho discrediting Drai because he plays with Drai.

Why isn't the fact that Marner plays with JT ever brought up? Or Nylander playing with Marner.

I assume it's the same as the winger vs. Centre arguement by Leafs fans when it comes to Laine vs. Matthews. That logic obviously gets thrown out the window though when we are comparing Marner to Eichel/Petersson/Drai or Nylander compared to Larkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad