Nylander TOR vs Puljujärvi EDM

Who is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if JP outscores nylander this year or next.... I think JP has a higher ceiling.

Right now, nylander
Future, coin flip

Again, where exactly is this mythical ceiling for Puljujarvi that I've been hearing about for 3+ years now?

People get mesmerized by pre-draft pedigree when it's been far too late. Puljujarvi's hockey sense is laughably bad and he constantly goes the opposite way of the play. I'd honestly bet on Andreas Johnsson to out-score him this year, and I'm not even kidding.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it's as simple as that. Players don't just put up points because they're playing with an elite player. They also have to show the ability to do it.

Otherwise, teams could just put anyone beside McDavid/Crosby and they'd all turn into 80 point guys, regardless of their actual talent level.
Look at Phil Kessel who everyone assumed would be on a line with Crosby or Malkin, at least that was the talk after the Penguins traded for him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
In before bias anti leaf hate is influencing the poll results or some such

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I don't think it's as simple as that. Players don't just put up points because they're playing with an elite player. They also have to show the ability to do it.

Otherwise, teams could just put anyone beside McDavid/Crosby and they'd all turn into 80 point guys, regardless of their actual talent level.
well yea look at Drysaddle(sp?)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

A lot of actually made Crosby great though is that he could turn two 3rd liners into a dominate 1st line (Kunitz and Dupuis most notably). It wasn't the best for his point totals but it allowed you to spread depth down the line-up and lower your expences on the first line.

Now, certain players compliment elite guys more than others. Due to how Crosby plays, he tends to be at his best when he's surround by guys who play a strong cycle game and can win battles down low. Its why I always though Kessel would end up with Geno when the Leafs traded him and not Sid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A lot of actually made Crosby great though is that he could turn two 3rd liners into a dominate 1st line (Kunitz and Dupuis most notably). It wasn't the best for his point totals but it allowed you to spread depth down the line-up and lower your expences on the first line.

Kunitz was a 20+ goal, 50+ point guy even without Crosby. It's not like Crosby took some guy who'd never gotten 40 points in the league, and suddenly he's now a 60+ point guy. Dupuis' kind of similar. Even without Crosby Dupuis was usually a defensively responsible 35+ point guy. With Crosby, other than the lockout shortened year, he remained about a 35-40 point guy.

Now, certain players compliment elite guys more than others. Due to how Crosby plays, he tends to be at his best when he's surround by guys who play a strong cycle game and can win battles down low. Its why I always though Kessel would end up with Geno when the Leafs traded him and not Sid.

Obviously sometimes chemistry matters more than individual talent of the players on the line. But I don't think that would account for a guy like Puljujarvi who still hasn't established himself as a top six NHL player suddenly becoming one just because of McDavid.

Nylander's already a proven 60+ point guy. Chemistry with McDavid or not, Puljujarvi still has to show he's got the talent to convert those chances McDavid sets him up for before you can predict he'll surpass a consistent 60 point guy.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Kunitz was a 20+ goal, 50+ point guy even without Crosby. It's not like Crosby took some guy who'd never gotten 40 points in the league, and suddenly he's now a 60+ point guy. Dupuis' kind of similar. Even without Crosby Dupuis was usually a defensively responsible 35+ point guy. With Crosby, other than the lockout shortened year, he remained about a 35-40 point guy.

Obviously sometimes chemistry matters more than individual talent of the players on the line. But I don't think that would account for a guy like Puljujarvi who still hasn't established himself as a top six NHL player suddenly becoming one just because of McDavid.

Nylander's already a proven 60+ point guy. Chemistry with McDavid or not, Puljujarvi still has to show he's got the talent to convert those chances McDavid sets him up for before you can predict he'll surpass a consistent 60 point guy.
I think he will. Nylander wasn't good enough to be in NHL at Pulju's age and is worse defensively.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I'm siding with Nylander. But, I do think certain players will drag up other guys. I'm not sure Puljujarvi is smart enough to capitalize playing with McDavid. He's not very aware on where to be off the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad