Confirmed Signing with Link: Nylander re-signs with Leafs ($6.96M AAV For 6 Years) - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
AAV is 6.996

Do people not know what the word pro-rated means? or better yet, do people not understand grade 6 math?

the 10.2m hit this year is the equivalent to 6.996m
AAV if you account every year of the contract is 7,5ish. Cap hit is 6,996,000 year 2-6.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Next summer, leafs will have only 12 players signed and only 23 M in cap space.
Matthews + Marner will take most of that. Lets say 20 mil.
So they will have 3 mil to sign at least 6 players to get 20 players in their roster.
Kapanen is among those 6 players and him alone will probably take over 3 mil.

Next summer, leafs will have only 12 players signed and only 23 M in cap space.
Matthews + Marner will take most of that. Lets say 20 mil.
So they will have 3 mil to sign at least 6 players to get 20 players in their roster.
Kapanen is among those 6 players and him alone will probably take over 3 mil.

upload_2018-12-1_18-9-13.png

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Well it's not $45 million total, he signed a 6 year, $45 million deal, but lost a shade over $3 million from the holdout. So Nylander doesn't end up actually getting that entire $45 million, he just signed for the equivalent contract of that.
Exactly. Its a 45m contract and he gets 41,7m of it or something. Still a 45m contract

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
No, contract is $42m total, so it’s 6.96, as every reputable person has indicated.

Like most, you don’t understand what that “cap savings” formula meant.
You are wrong. Contract is 45m, he only gets 41,7m of it because he signed late.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Very fair deal for both sides. If Nylander improves and becomes a PPG type player than it’s even better. In the long run I think TOR will be happy with this deal and I don’t think it effects them with Marner and Matthews.

How long are they on the books for Horton? That should be over soon correct?
ends next year.

Reactions: SI90

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Nylander won, for now Leafs fans won. Nylander gave no feel good 'we will be legends in Toronto when we bring back the Cup' discount, Matthews will feel no reason to either and Marner the same though he is the hometown boy.

The Leafs will have $40M+ tied up in the Big 4 next season. That's very top heavy.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’ll just say it again, but this feels like cap circumvention to me. They sign a guy at the very last minute, and it just so happens that his contract is structured in a manner that his cap hit is a boat load this year when it doesn’t matter, and is much smaller in years 2-6 when the Leafs are in a cap crunch.

I’m not even saying that they did this intentionally, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t think this should be legal under the next CBA.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Yeah, Nylander got Dubas to cave.

What is your end goal in this? You have your opinion why do you need to keep saying the same thing 20 times.

And you keep saying nylander when it’s the agent Lewis Gross

Dubas played the hand he was dealt well. Made the best of the situation to get Nylander on the ice this year. Leafs get a cap hit under 7 and Nylander’s price was rumoured to be 8 million.

Also the huge signing bonus is good if they need to trade him down the road, as teams won’t owe him as much in actual cash.

Move on.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Cap goes up, shed Brown, Marleau and Zaitsev, there is a quick 15 millionish, promote from within, meh.

Leafs still have all their drafts, good prospect pool (not elite but depth), they have assets to facilitate creative deals.

Even if the cap goes up next summer, it will only be about 2 mil.

Marleau has a nmc, I dont see why he would waive it.
Zaitsev is a cap dump with 6 years left.
Neither of these 2 will be easy to move.

Reactions: TS Quint

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't think it's a bad deal for the Leafs and they add yet another piece to a team that's already a contender.

With that said, Nylander won this ordeal. His wait was worth it and this will no doubt influence future player negotiations.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
AAV if you account every year of the contract is 7,5ish. Cap hit is 6,996,000 year 2-6.
I got this wrong too, he doesnt get the full 10.2 this season cause of time missed but he does have a bonus. He will get about 41.7 m out of the 45 when all is said and done. 41.7/6 =6.9

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exactly. Its a 45m contract and he gets 41,7m of it or something. Still a 45m contract

I think a better way to look at it than this is that Nylander is making $41.77 million and only having to play 5.66 seasons, instead of saying he signed a $45 million contract. If you want to go that route, Nylander is getting $7.37 million a season from this contract. It makes more sense to include both the salary he lost and the length of time he didn't have to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad