Nylander OR Ehlers

Who is the better player (excluding contracts)?

• Total voters

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
On most of the teams in the NHL, Ehlers would be the best player. He's better than the overrated Laine as well (who should also be in this poll just to make it interesting).

Reactions: snowkiddin

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You do understand that Kapanen was shooting at a 30% clip during those 28 games with Matthews right? And Nylander despite missing training camp, preseason, and 28 regular season games outproduced Kapanen from January - April 2019. Nylander was playing at a 65 point pace after his first 19 games of his 2018-19 season.

If Kapanen was good enough, he’d still be a Leaf.
He wasn’t good enough to be a Leaf? Is he good enough now? Seems like a pretty subjective opinion. Do you have anything to back that up?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You do understand that Kapanen was shooting at a 30% clip during those 28 games with Matthews right? And Nylander despite missing training camp, preseason, and 28 regular season games outproduced Kapanen from January - April 2019. Nylander was playing at a 65 point pace after his first 19 games of his 2018-19 season.

If Kapanen was good enough, he’d still be a Leaf.
He was not shooting 30% either.

Reactions: Dache

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
No one in the league plays less and produces more pts than Ehlers.

He is elite at 5v5. Since the start of the 19/20 season he is 6th overall in 5v5 production. Scary to think what he could do with pp1 and and more opportunity on 3v3 & 4v4.

ExvL35xVIAIhoBH.jpeg

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Man I come in here and I see Leaf fans and Jets fans arguing about which of their star players is better.

And as a Canucks fan, I just have to say that both sides should take a moment and appreciate that they don’t have Jim Benning as a GM, because he could’ve had either of them and he chose Jake Virtanen instead.

So to answer this poll, I don’t care who is better, they are both stars and both significantly better than Virtanen. I wish we had either one of them to play with Pettersson and Boeser.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Since Laine's departure, Ehlers has taken his game to new heights. Nylander is a pretty damn good player (I voted for him in all seasons before this one), but I really believe the tables have turned now.

Reactions: Garthinater

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Man I come in here and I see Leaf fans and Jets fans arguing about which of their star players is better.

And as a Canucks fan, I just have to say that both sides should take a moment and appreciate that they don’t have Jim Benning as a GM, because he could’ve had either of them and he chose Jake Virtanen instead.

So to answer this poll, I don’t care who is better, they are both stars and both significantly better than Virtanen. I wish we had either one of them to play with Pettersson and Boeser.
As a Jets fan, when you guys took Virtanen and Carolina took Fleury my mind was blown that we were going to get either Ehlers or Nylander. Didn't care which, I had them ranked the same at the time and really didn't think there was a chance of them getting to us. At least Benning seems to have learned his lesson though, he's been drafting much better since then.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Never understood that pick. Virtanen has the hockey IQ of a rock. Even if he has the "physical tools", his brain won't ever let him reach top line status.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On most of the teams in the NHL, Ehlers would be the best player. He's better than the overrated Laine as well (who should also be in this poll just to make it interesting).

That's a stretch:

In the Central:

TB: No (Kucherov, Stamkos, Point)
Car: No (Aho)
FLA: No (Barkov, Huberdeau)
CHI: No (Kane)
NSH: Yes
CLB: Yes
DET: Debatable (Larkin)

North:
TOR: No
WPG: Is he better than Scheifle?
EDM: No
VAN: Debatable (Pettersson)
CGY: Debatable (Lindholm/Gaudreau)
MTL: Yes
OTT: Yes

East:
WSH: No
NYI: No (Barzal)
PIT: No (Crosby)
BOS: No (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak)
PHI: Debateable (Couturier)
NYR: No (Panarin)
NJ: Yes
Buff: NO (Eichel)

Col: No
Vegas: No (Stone)
Min: Yes
STL: Yes (ROR is close)
PHX: Yes
LAK: Yes (although Kopitar is still really good)
SJS: Yes
ANA: Yes

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's a stretch:

In the Central:

TB: No (Kucherov, Stamkos, Point)
Car: No (Aho)
FLA: No (Barkov, Huberdeau)
CHI: No (Kane)
NSH: Yes
CLB: Yes
DET: Debatable (Larkin)

North:
TOR: No
WPG: Is he better than Scheifle?
EDM: No
VAN: Debatable (Pettersson)
CGY: Debatable (Lindholm/Gaudreau)
MTL: Yes
OTT: Yes

East:
WSH: No
NYI: No (Barzal)
PIT: No (Crosby)
BOS: No (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak)
PHI: Debateable (Couturier)
NYR: No (Panarin)
NJ: Yes
Buff: NO (Eichel)

Col: No
Vegas: No (Stone)
Min: Yes
STL: Yes (ROR is close)
PHX: Yes
LAK: Yes (although Kopitar is still really good)
SJS: Yes
ANA: Yes

I'd take Josi over him, and ROR as well.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Bobby Mac had both behind Virtanen in draft rankings. Nice to see you trying to place the blame at Jim's feet, though.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
So a draft guide absolves Benning of blame on a pick he made?
Hold on... so, if Benning gets all the blame for the Virtanen pick, shouldn't he get all the credit for the Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Hoglander, Demko, Gaudette, etc picks? Or are we just picking the narratives that suit us?

To answer your question, no. But claiming that the reason the Canucks picked Virtanen is because Benning is a horrible GM is just the usual typical disingenuous HFCanucks crap.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hold on... so, if Benning gets all the blame for the Virtanen pick, shouldn't he get all the credit for the Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Hoglander, Demko, Gaudette, etc picks? Or are we just picking the narratives that suit us?

To answer your question, no. But claiming that the reason the Canucks picked Virtanen is because Benning is a horrible GM is just the usual typical disingenuous HFCanucks crap.

When did I do that?

Benning is a bad GM because of his Free agency contract not cause of his drafting. I don't wanna turn an Ehlers/Nylander into a Benning thread so I'll leave it at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad