Nylander OR Ehlers

Who is the better player (excluding contracts)?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The stats alone say it's Nylander.

Nylander: 21 Goals, 21 Assists for 42 points in 48 games played.

Ehlers: 18 Goals, 19 Assists for 37 points in 47 games played.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I realize you're question says this year, so probably Nylander by a hair.

They flip back and forth from year to year so I'm happy with Ehlers and saving the million dollars. Leafs should be happy with Nylander.

Reactions: Tarmore

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ehlers. Stats roughly equal (Ehlers has 30 more goals in career). Plus Ehlers is gooning it up.
Ehlers has never scored more than 29 goals in any season.

Now if you want to include the playoffs Nylander has been the better player during that time. In 20 career playoff games he's had 3 Goals, 8 Assists for 11 points.

Ehlers playoff career is 0 Goals, 7 Assists for 7 points in 21 playoff games.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Ehlers has never scored more than 29 goals in any season.

Now if you want to include the playoffs Nylander has been the better player during that time. In 20 career playoff games he's had 3 Goals, 8 Assists for 11 points.

Ehlers playoff career is 0 Goals, 7 Assists for 7 points in 21 playoff games.

It's really strange to proclaim that one player is better in the playoffs over another based purely on points - especially when they're within 4 of each other. There are SO many other factors at play.

Reactions: libertarian

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
These two will flip positions as to who is better throughout their careers. I like Ehlers’ two way game a bit better but Nylander is having a good bounce back year after a terrible year last year. It’s really too close to call.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's really strange to proclaim that one player is better in the playoffs over another based purely on points - especially when they're within 4 of each other. There are SO many other factors at play.
Since the Jets have went as far to the Western Conference Finals in 2018, I find it surprising that Ehlers doesn't have better numbers because of that.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Ask that question 5 years from now. It's too close to say right now. Both are rebounding after underwhelming years last season

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
It’s Ehlers, The leaves play purely offensive and their players get handed easy points.

Funkygroove

Sep 19, 2019
very very close in my opinion but i slightly prefer Ehlers. He draws a lot of penalties and is just more solid overall player eventhough i might tip their offensive comparison slightly to Nylanders favour.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Nylander uses his teammates way better. Ehlers is fast and skilled, but has tunnel vision. He would have to be significantly better in other areas for me to prefer a player like that - and he's not.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander sees the game on a different level than Ehlers. If Keefe ever needs to run him at center, this will become very obvious. They're roughly equally skilled but Nylander has the noticeably higher IQ.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
As always these two needs a to close to tell option.

Main difference in use seems to be that Ehlers draws the penalties for the Jets but he is clearly on the second PP with fairly large difference in use to the PP1 for the Jets, so only 4 PP points. Nylander with 12 PP points seems to be in a better situation there for the leafs.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Lol, seriously. Both stat lines are pretty bad, the fact anyone is bringing up Nylanders 0.5 points per game in the playoffs is pretty funny.

I’d take Ehlers. The Leaf forwards have inflated point totals because they pretty much ignore the defensive zone. The eye test says Ehlers.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol, seriously. Both stat lines are pretty bad, the fact anyone is bringing up Nylanders 0.5 points per game in the playoffs is pretty funny.
In previous polls between them I remember some comments saying Ehlers because the Jets had better playoff success as a team, however it's wrong to suggest Nylander because his playoff stats are better than Ehlers? Talk about hypocrisy.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Last year it was Ehlers. This year it’s Nylander. Offensively I think it probably goes back and forth a few more times. I prefer Ehlers two way game but I can see a case for Nylander given his better goal scoring this year. I’d still give a slight edge going forward to Ehlers but there probably should be a too close to call option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad