Post-Game Talk: Nylander King of Sweden!!!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
McCabe has been mostly steady since coming back from injury which is good because he was arse to start the season. Pretty much a black hole offensively, but then again, I don't expect anything much in that dept.

Woll was very good, although I'm not sure how he ended up whiffing on that 1st goal. Can't fault him for anything after that.
McCabe has been pretty solid this year when not paired with Klingberg. Nobody has looked good with Klingberg..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I hope we just sign him. I don’t care the number. This guy is a 1 man army. First time we have ever seen Willy playing 100 percent and trying 100 percent. When he try’s and fully plays his game he is as good as Matthews
How much does he get now??
Is anyone concerned he has upped his game, just because it's a contract year?

Reactions: 666

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
BuT nYLaNdEr iS PeRimiTeR pLaYer.. Duuuuur
Yes he absolutely was a perimeter play but so far this year he has not been. He seems to have decided that his new contract value depends on becoming a more well rounded star.
i wouldn’t think anyone would have any trouble understanding this.
I for one like this version of Willy much better

I do believe that was the most remarkable goal a Maple Leaf has scored this season.

Is it OK if I say Nylander is super crazy elite or are we only allowed to say that about Money Mitch?
That’s a good question………at least it’s true about Willy right now

Reactions: egd27

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I missed the last 2 games due to my work schedule.

Now that the Nylander Parade is over what did you think of the team's performance?

How are the goalies, defense, forward depth, coaching, etc?

What surprised you?

What is still concerning?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My favourite part of the game was how it looked like the Leafs were easily gonna win it.

Only to give up two goals in the third.

Late start to the game ✓
Blown third period lead ✓
Coach thinks the team did "terrific" ✓

Leafs are as playoff ready as I've ever seen them.

The early story of the year is the play of the rookies. Five goals for Knies and two for Robertson is fantastic. Meanwhile Domi STILL doesn't have any.

It's when I read things like this "We like that we found a way to get the points" that I know the Leafs will never win anything under Keefe.

The Leafs didn't "find a way to get the points". They already had them. What they did was find a way to give Minnesota a point.

The fact Keefe doesn't recognize the difference only confirms he has a "respect in the handshake lineup is good enough" mentality.
I agree they didn't play all that well and yes, they blew a lead. But us fans as well as the analysts always praise the Tampas of the world for "finding ways to win". "The good teams find a way to win in tough moments."

Tough moments/adversity can mean a lot of different things. Does having issues finding your legs and bending but not breaking count? Absolutely. Tampa doesn't win every game perfectly 4-1 while controlling the play for 60 minutes. Most teams don't. They also struggle at times and blow leads, but still find a way to win.

Again that wasn't a very well-played game and it wasn't a well-played trip. But they left with 4 points. They found a way to get all 4 points. That's what good teams manage to do, even the Tampas of the world. The Leafs can be happy they found the points while not being happy the way they played. Both can exist and be true.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
No, he was not. People seem to have no idea what that actually means, and just randomly apply it to any player that isn't some big bulking bodybuilder.
Your emotionally driven dichotomies keep getting the best of you.

If you're not aware by now, you should at this moment: most pro athletes are pretty strong and also go to the gym. That certainly includes Nylander.

He did play the perimeter a lot through the years. He avoided Chara, he invented the double flamingo move, he avoided contact in the corners to retrieve/negate icing, etc.

Is Nylander playing really well right now? Yes. Cutting in towards the goalie in 3 on 3 OT is a bit different then going to the net 5 on 5, etc. I'm glad he did it, glad he scored, and glad he's playing well for TOR, but he still came a long way to be like this IMHO.

Last edited:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Nylander has always played well.....

fans just hate him.... fans didnt like how he handled his contract and he outplayed it and no one gave him credit. Now he is playing his best hockey and Fans complain that he is only doing this because its a contract year.

Same fans wanted Kadri back......go figure. ....

Mathews gets a pass....no one complains about not being a great passer or goes invisiable during games. Same with Marner....gets a pass.

Just imagine if Nylander name was Smith.....he would have more fans.

Just look at the past few years......who is always high on the list of dirty goals in front of the net.....
Yes.....Nylander....but the Don Cherry fans say.....he doesnt hit or play defence.

What goal scorers play defense? Was Wendle a great defensive player....Nope...has Lanny? Nope....how about Vaive ? Nope....

Then we have people who want Kane here.....who also ...plays no defence ...or checks...

I just find it funny how the goal posts move constantly....depending on the team and what their last name is and what country they are from.

BTW ......Nylander is Canadian....loves the leafs and he city.......eat it Don Cherry :)

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nylander has always played well.....

fans just hate him.... fans didnt like how he handled his contract and he outplayed it and no one gave him credit. Now he is playing his best hockey and Fans complain that he is only doing this because its a contract year.

Same fans wanted Kadri back......go figure. ....

Mathews gets a pass....no one complains about not being a great passer or goes invisiable during games. Same with Marner....gets a pass.

Just imagine if Nylander name was Smith.....he would have more fans.

Just look at the past few years......who is always high on the list of dirty goals in front of the net.....
Yes.....Nylander....but the Don Cherry fans say.....he doesnt hit or play defence.

What goal scorers play defense? Was Wendle a great defensive player....Nope...has Lanny? Nope....how about Vaive ? Nope....

Then we have people who want Kane here.....who also ...plays no defence ...or checks...

I just find it funny how the goal posts move constantly....depending on the team and what their last name is and what country they are from.

BTW ......Nylander is Canadian....loves the leafs and he city.......eat it Don Cherry :)
Your paint brush keeps getting wider and wider.

Whoa.

Public Service Announcement:

Nylander is still under contract until July 1st.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
How much does he get now??
That's usually such a red flag but in this case the timing seems just right. We all saw Willie steadily progress and it seems like he's put it together all at the right time. Does he regress after he gets his payday - perhaps. Against the judgement of having that career year during a contract year, I still want him re-signed. But in a hard cap world, even if you don't land that big fish, you now have cap dpace yo plug other holes. Not the end of the world. Figure out a number yhat works and stick to it. $10-10.5 for 5 years should do it. If he and Auston haven't taken us yo the promised land by then, it's definitely time to move on

Reactions: BLONG7

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No, he was not. People seem to have no idea what that actually means, and just randomly apply it to any player that isn't some big bulking bodybuilder.
🤣

Now that the Nylander Parade is over what did you think of the team's performance?

What surprised you?

There's a hockeying expert in here maybe you might want to ask them directly!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Absolutely it's a possibility.

There's a long way to go but only 2 other players (who've played at or close to max # games) have a higher PPG% than Nylander does. He's always been good, but not that good.

So if we're seeing his true potential when he's motivated, what happens when he's not, or just less so?

Reactions: BLONG7 and 666

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not. I don't think he's phased by any of this stuff, he's just matured as a player.
It's like a bulb has gone off and he realizes that when he wants to play he can take over a game.
His shying away from contact is much easier to take when he plays like this.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So was Reaves that bad and holding the team back single handedly? They looked mediocre with him, after he was scratched they start looking like one of the best teams in the league

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So was Reaves that bad and holding the team back single handedly? They looked mediocre with him, after he was scratched they start looking like one of the best teams in the league
Some would have you believe the loss of Lafferty was almost too much for them to overcome.
Thankfully they persevered.

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89 and TMLegend

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He was primarily responsible for making the fourth line a liability, and essentially unplayable.

Replacing him with McMann has had a positive ripple effect on the rest of the team.

Reactions: kb

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

What surprised you?

I dont miss Klingberg or Reese ....we never got runover....and we played better defence.

I like the 3rd line even tho I dont trust Domi at center

Our 5th and 6th pairing D has been a surprise and Im not sure if we should overpay for a defencemen from Calgary. JMHO tho

I thought Sammy was good and so was Woll.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Your emotionally driven dichotomies keep getting the best of you.

If you're not aware by now, you should at this moment: most pro athletes are pretty strong and also go to the gym. That certainly includes Nylander.

He did play the perimeter a lot through the years. He avoided Chara, he invented the double flamingo move, he avoided contact in the corners to retrieve/negate icing, etc.

Is Nylander playing really well right now? Yes. Cutting in towards the goalie in 3 on 3 OT is a bit different then going to the net 5 on 5, etc. I'm glad he did it, glad he scored, and glad he's playing well for TOR, but he still came a long way to be like this IMHO.

Didnt he lead the leafs and was at the top of the league in dirty goals the last few seasons?

We seen plenty of Nylander using his skill and toughness in front of the net.

And who didnt shy away from Chara? Mathews? Marner? ...I mean who on the leafs didnt ?

Not just Nylander

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

Not hard to see that when he is on the ice....the leafs are a man short. He cant skate worth a damn and is worse when you ask him to pivot. He has absolutely no hockey skills....cant pass...receive a pass in stride or shoot the puck

His best trait is intimidation ....but then again....Lilly took a bad cheap shot and Reaves yapped from the bench. You cant put him on the ice for revenge because he cant keep up and is such a liability from defensively that other teams welcome him on the ice.

But he plays great music and is great for the locker room......you know....like Thorton and Marleau....etc who we overpaid for and offered us nothing on the ice.

But hey....Don Cherry is happy ....we got a big Canadian boy who can fight.....

He's been driving the net a ton and scoring from in close for years. It was always a bad narrative.

Hard to convince anyone if they dont want to see it .......certain players are pegged a certain way and you cant change anyones mind.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hard to convince anyone if they dont want to see it .......certain players are pegged a certain way and you cant change anyones mind.
He's never had an issue with going to the net, it's always been the shying away from contact, flybys, etc that's been his issue.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
He's never had an issue with going to the net, it's always been the shying away from contact, flybys, etc that's been his issue.

Not much of a issue in all honesty.....alot of great scorers never were physical ....battles and positions himself in front of the net and does score close

Nylander is one of the best at retrieving pucks against the boards.......its not like he sees a defenceman trying to put him thru the boards and he gives up the puck and says ......here you go

Every player has his strength......Mathews is a big boy and no one ever complains that doesnt engage contact. They rather get the puck with good stick work and positioning.

All players have their shortcomings .....just seems like Fans bash Nylander more and the funny part is when the rules change in playoffs to promote goonery ......Nylander is still productive.

Go figure

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not much of a issue in all honesty.....alot of great scorers never were physical ....battles and positions himself in front of the net and does score close

Nylander is one of the best at retrieving pucks against the boards.......its not like he sees a defenceman trying to put him thru the boards and he gives up the puck and says ......here you go

Every player has his strength......Mathews is a big boy and no one ever complains that doesnt engage contact. They rather get the puck with good stick work and positioning.

All players have their shortcomings .....just seems like Fans bash Nylander more and the funny part is when the rules change in playoffs to promote goonery ......Nylander is still productive.

Go figure
Agreed with the bolded. The flybys, shying away from contact, etc are his shortcomings.

Fans bash all players, not just Nylander. No player is bashed more than Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00